INDY Contract Terms

Discussion in 'UPS Freight' started by Foose, Oct 10, 2007.

1. UPSFreightMan

UPSFreightMan Member

But they have killed numerous other companies , Carolina,APA,Red Star, and so on. Its not like those were small companies either!

2. UPSFreightMan

UPSFreightMan Member

It must have to be the state you are living in why you pay so much. In NY we have Aetna and United Healthcare for choices and again it only costs me $41.50 per week for all medical dental disabiltiy, 1 million life ins. Oh yeah I forgot the Legal insurance for $1.00 per week!

3. UPSFreightMan

UPSFreightMan Member

The raises are not as high as you are stating since they are split in 1/2 year increments. It is close to averaging $25.25 per hour instead of the $26.15 at the end of the contract. Compared to the $24.50 that we will be getting without going union. Ut all balances out in the end! Even the vacations and personal days stay the same and all work rules stay the same. The only thing that changed was the pay, pension, and loss of the 401k, which put an additional $5,875 in my pocket last year. The healthcare, although you will be able to see your any doctor and no referral needed will cost $150 per month for the family plan. This is coupled on top of the $60 per month union dues which actually will cost me $5 more per month. Yes I understand overtime after 8, but who are we fooling. I see it happening now where they are over hiring to get this under control. There will be very little overtime available! Do you think that they won't push to get us off the street! It will happen and in the end I am afraid I will lose thousands more dollars in overtime. This contract is not good enough and I exxpected a hell of alot better

4. Greezy Trucker

Greezy Trucker Active Member

Take a breath driver.....Some day we will be in the same boat this fine person is in...And then we can go trash talk others in the same manner.....

5. Greezy Trucker

Am I wrong ....But didn't Red Star and Carolina not get moved into union companies????

6. Browne1

Browne1 Member

I agree, I also expected alot better. I wanted a super contract that would win over the guys on the fence. But we all have to remember that UPS Freight is still only two years old, barely a toddler. In the city, some customers still refer to us as OVERNITE. UPS has not invested THAT much money in us yet. So they re-branded some tractors and trailers, and gave us new uniforms. They still can take that as a loss and sell or spin us off. When the time comes up for the next negotiation and there are more union terminals, Overnite will be a distant memory. UPS will have re branded all the terminals and the customers will refer to us as UPS Freight. Freight lanes will be opened up and freight will be pouring in. Then we will see the contract we all want. Right now its up to all of us to try and see the best in this situation and sign those cards, not necessarily for now but for the future.

7. Greezy Trucker

I am in agreement with you here......I want it all too.....But really what kind of pull does one terminal have....They also don't know if the rest will follow....If we can show them we are all one then we will have more power.....And from what ALL the rumors nothing is being lost that we didn't know would be and MAYBE we can get rid of the grey hole we all work in......Black and white would be nice.....

8. UPSFreightMan

UPSFreightMan Member

Red star was closed after a walk out strike by the drivers

9. UPSFreightMan

UPSFreightMan Member

They were all teamsters even the office. Carolina was all teamster represented prior to shutting their doors. As was Preston and APA, CBL etc...

10. HillBilly Frog

HillBilly Frog Active Member

Sorry UPSFreightMan but your facts are just a little more than off. Carolina was bought by ABF. They did not close or go out of business. Kinda like Overnite was bought by UPS and did not go out of business.

11. UPSFreightMan

UPSFreightMan Member

sorry but carolina shut their doors and sold their employees and equipment and customer lists to ABF. Just like CBL, Valerie and APA did after their doors were shut

12. HillBilly Frog

BS.........................

13. Browne1

Browne1 Member

Unions do not make companies go out of business. The whole idea of a union is to make things fair for the workers. How can fairness make a company go out of business? For example, it is unfair for a road driver not to get delay pay. If he is away from home or family, he is working and should be getting paid at the top rate. Under a union contract a company is not forced to pay him delay pay. All the company has to do is eliminate the delay. There is not one road driver who would love to pull up to a terminal, leave their set hooked, drop it, hook up to another already hooked set and leave, no or minimal delay. Now you have time to pull over at a truck stop and take a break, check the tires like you are supposed to after so many miles, driver safer. The union made UPS have to be smarter in doing business, investing in technology, which made them number one!!!!!

14. HillBilly Frog

http://www.abfs.com/about/profile/history.asp?bhcp=1

15. UPSFreightMan

UPSFreightMan Member

Carolina Freight Carriers, of Cherryville, SC, was purchased by ABF System in 1999 from the bankruptcy court
    PDF] 22. Auction TheoryFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
    Carolina won the bids even though it has not hauled for some. of these customers before. A few months later, Carolina Freight went bankrupt and was purchased by ABF Freight Systems from the bankruptcy court. ...
    ocw.mit.edu/.../ESD-260JFall2003/2CECCCEB-0165-42A3-B86A-

16. CFer

CFer Active Member

Carolina was never bankrupt. ABF purchased Worldway Corp (Carolina and Red Arrow's parent company) and merged them into ABF freight.

17. imported_Dreemer

imported_Dreemer Member

Ahhh.. the good ole days when you got resect from your company, the company followed rules, you got paid for work you did , you were proud of the company you worked for and going to work was fun. :funky:

18. Skeeter

Skeeter Well-Known Member

You just said a mouth full. I agree...:1036316054:

19. imported_Dreemer

imported_Dreemer Member

20. Overnite

Overnite Active Member

why do you uys keep saying you don't gey delay pay? I get $14 an hour for delay pay.