Yellow | info needed on road drivers

brickhead

TB Lurker
Credits
Evening all,

Currently working for LTL Co. here in Chicago.i put in an application for Yellow Freight via their website.www.myyellow.com.

Got a call from yellow and had an interview last week. I'm thinking of doing the road driver side. i have talked to some local drivers and they all seem to be happy.

I m tired of the P&D and want to do the roadie thing.

if some one here can give me some good/bad insite, i would appreciate it.

Thx for the response.

info needed on road drives

Remember, Chicago (CGB, the one on Harlem Road) runs teams. Be prepared to spend 4 or 5 days in very close proximity to a total stranger of questionable hygene.

Testpilot said:
Remember, Chicago (CGB, the one on Harlem Road) runs teams. Be prepared to spend 4 or 5 days in very close proximity to a total stranger of questionable hygene.

that's why i'll be P&D till i retire. unless my partner looks like J.Lo then i'll reconsider.

thanks for the replies.

so you are saying that basically its a union OTR.
Maybe ill see if i can get in as a city driver.road drivers prolly make more money than the city driver.

Tips For The New Driver

This is an old piece that we had onetime on an old website that is now called Roaddrivers.org., I hope this helps.....KK

http://www.nmfalibrary.org/nmfa.htm

Tips For The New Driver
What every new Teamster Driver should know...

If you're new to the Teamster Driver scene, it can be very confusing in comparison to past non-union employment. So we at YellowFreightDrivers.Com have compiled a list that will help the new Driver along.

First let us welcome you! Your first two years of employment can be very trying. This time frame will be much like a learning cycle. It is your responsibility as a Teamster Driver to be familiar with the agreement that has been bargained in your behalf.

Learn the contract that pertains to your region. The National Master Freight Agreement is the basic agreement that effects your day to day activity on the job. Think of the agreement as having a sport's agent. Every five years your contract is reviewed and renegotiated. The regional agreements however address specific issues that pertain to your geographical area, these contracts are also reviewed and renegotiated. If you are not familiar with the agreement that pertains to your position and location, you are apt to lose hourly income that is due to you by contract. It is not the Employer's responsibility to inform you of what is due to you. The NMFA Library has been created for your benefit, use it!

If you were a casual driver before being hired full time, your wages are reduced back to 75% for a period of one year in accordance with the new entry rates of Article 36 of the NMFA. If your prior employment was a non-union company, your wages are probably comparable to what you are earning now.

After your probationary period of employment, enroll with your health and welfare and pension fund provider. Drivers in the Southern Region should telephone Central States Funds 7:30am to 4:30 pm at 1.800.323.5000 to request an enrollment package. If you are outside the Southern Region, contact your Teamster Local for a telephone number. I knew of a Driver that had been with Yellow Freight System for more than six months and he was unaware that he was eligible for benefits.

Start a Teamster 401k. Drivers are allowed to participate after 30 days of employment with Yellow Freight. The Teamster 401K program is exactly that. A Teamster only fund. It’s not a Yellow 401K program, Yellow does not match contributions made by a Driver. The benefit of the program is increased retirement income and an opportunity to reduce your tax rate.

Know your position as a new employee and what is required of you. Every time you do work outside the scope of your position, you take work away from your fellow teamster. The NMFA is very specific to this issue. Your employer has also agreed to these terms. The following has been copied from the NMFA:
Article 3, Section 4 of the NMFA. Work Assignments

The Employers agree to respect the jurisdictional rules of the Union and shall not direct or require their employees or persons other than the employees in the bargaining units here involved, to perform work which is recognized as the work of the employees in said units. This is not to interfere with bona fide contracts with bona fide unions.

Know your Job Stewards. These key people are elected or appointed to represent you in time of uncertainty. Stewards are normally senior drivers that are very familiar with the union process. When you have a question to your daily routine, ask your Steward! If your Steward directs you in a manner that seems questionable, use the chain of command and telephone your Local Business Agent for further guidance.

Time off from work is specified in your Regional Supplemental agreement. Depending on your region and location, standards may be differ. (Again refer to your Regional agreement to view time off procedures and how they function.) The Southern Region Supplemental Article 53, Section 15 addresses sleeper time off and mark off procedures. These are minimum standards that have been bargained for you.

In closing, it is stressed you become familiar with the agreements that pertain to you. If you lose wages because you failed to make the proper request, it may be no one's fault but your own. We hope these tips have been informative for you!

[email protected]

I work at CGB as a road driver and here is what you need to know and consider. It is busy right now so you shouldn't have a problem working. In the six months I've been here its been feast or famine. When it slows down, sometimes you have to run teams if you want to work. Teams are ok if you run with some one you like. If you get some one bad they suck. This is not a Mon-Fri job. you will be on call 24-7 365 days a year until you can hold a bid. So I guess my point is don't come in with any expectations and you won't be disapointed. PM me if there are anyother questions you have and I will try to answer them.

UnionTrucka said:
that's why i'll be P&D till i retire. unless my partner looks like J.Lo then i'll reconsider.
As a STL Linehaul driver, I go to CGB often, and if my memory serves me correctly, there is no J lo .......but there is a '' Jenny'' that is a driver in linehaul at CGB.....she ...er....he....er.....I mean she's a real looker,too......OUCH

roadhazard said:
As a STL Linehaul driver, I go to CGB often, and if my memory serves me correctly, there is no J lo .......but there is a '' Jenny'' that is a driver in linehaul at CGB.....she ...er....he....er.....I mean she's a real looker,too......OUCH

lmao.....that's what we call a HeShe. damn !

Jenny hands out paychecks cause it hurt itself. If I ever got called to go out with Jenny I think I'd go on sick board.

Kennesaw Kid said:
This is an old piece that we had onetime on an old website that is now called Roaddrivers.org., I hope this helps.....KK

http://www.nmfalibrary.org/nmfa.htm

Tips For The New Driver
What every new Teamster Driver should know...

If you're new to the Teamster Driver scene, it can be very confusing in comparison to past non-union employment. So we at YellowFreightDrivers.Com have compiled a list that will help the new Driver along.

First let us welcome you! Your first two years of employment can be very trying. This time frame will be much like a learning cycle. It is your responsibility as a Teamster Driver to be familiar with the agreement that has been bargained in your behalf.

Learn the contract that pertains to your region. The National Master Freight Agreement is the basic agreement that effects your day to day activity on the job. Think of the agreement as having a sport's agent. Every five years your contract is reviewed and renegotiated. The regional agreements however address specific issues that pertain to your geographical area, these contracts are also reviewed and renegotiated. If you are not familiar with the agreement that pertains to your position and location, you are apt to lose hourly income that is due to you by contract. It is not the Employer's responsibility to inform you of what is due to you. The NMFA Library has been created for your benefit, use it!

If you were a casual driver before being hired full time, your wages are reduced back to 75% for a period of one year in accordance with the new entry rates of Article 36 of the NMFA. If your prior employment was a non-union company, your wages are probably comparable to what you are earning now.

After your probationary period of employment, enroll with your health and welfare and pension fund provider. Drivers in the Southern Region should telephone Central States Funds 7:30am to 4:30 pm at 1.800.323.5000 to request an enrollment package. If you are outside the Southern Region, contact your Teamster Local for a telephone number. I knew of a Driver that had been with Yellow Freight System for more than six months and he was unaware that he was eligible for benefits.

Start a Teamster 401k. Drivers are allowed to participate after 30 days of employment with Yellow Freight. The Teamster 401K program is exactly that. A Teamster only fund. It’s not a Yellow 401K program, Yellow does not match contributions made by a Driver. The benefit of the program is increased retirement income and an opportunity to reduce your tax rate.

Know your position as a new employee and what is required of you. Every time you do work outside the scope of your position, you take work away from your fellow teamster. The NMFA is very specific to this issue. Your employer has also agreed to these terms. The following has been copied from the NMFA:
Article 3, Section 4 of the NMFA. Work Assignments

The Employers agree to respect the jurisdictional rules of the Union and shall not direct or require their employees or persons other than the employees in the bargaining units here involved, to perform work which is recognized as the work of the employees in said units. This is not to interfere with bona fide contracts with bona fide unions.

Know your Job Stewards. These key people are elected or appointed to represent you in time of uncertainty. Stewards are normally senior drivers that are very familiar with the union process. When you have a question to your daily routine, ask your Steward! If your Steward directs you in a manner that seems questionable, use the chain of command and telephone your Local Business Agent for further guidance.

Time off from work is specified in your Regional Supplemental agreement. Depending on your region and location, standards may be differ. (Again refer to your Regional agreement to view time off procedures and how they function.) The Southern Region Supplemental Article 53, Section 15 addresses sleeper time off and mark off procedures. These are minimum standards that have been bargained for you.

In closing, it is stressed you become familiar with the agreements that pertain to you. If you lose wages because you failed to make the proper request, it may be no one's fault but your own. We hope these tips have been informative for you!

[email protected]
I would like to add to this great post,that you read the Teamsters constitution that will be given to you and live by it and you can`t go wrong.

Jenny

Did Jenny work at C.F. In Sacramento before Yellow? We had a "guy" who became a chick while he was at C.F and I believe the other drivers filed a grievence so they would not have to run with it and after that "it" always ran shortline.

freightman68 said:
Did Jenny work at C.F. In Sacramento before Yellow? We had a "guy" who became a chick while he was at C.F and I believe the other drivers filed a grievence so they would not have to run with it and after that "it" always ran shortline.

you have got to be kidding me !!! a sex change ?? wonder if the local covered the surgey, lol. that's disgusting. at least the HeShe is runnin the road therefore somebody sees "it". a true nightcrawler.

On one hand Jenny burnt off all but one fingers. Is this who you are talking about freightman?

freightman68 said:
CF had three guys that became women.One out of Minneapolis that transferred to Vegas in the
90's called Randi.And one out of Charlotte called Dixie Darling.I saw the one out of Minneapolis and Charlotte never seen the one out of Sacramento.

I never got close enough to see it's fingers. I was a hostler and just saw it in passing and tried to stay clear of the whole thing.

Funny was passing Dixie on I40 and listening to some unsuspecting chicken hauler trying his best to get some.