Inhumane cold dock work environment

Discussion in 'Holland' started by wongway, Jan 10, 2015.

1. sedain

sedain Member

those things couldnt unload our trailers, i have been to places with these..like bottled water distribution warehouses..everything is floor loaded, pallets arent sideways or flipped over, 90 degree angle etc.

30yearman likes this.
  2. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Once you eliminate the problem that causes those problems and they would become more viable

3. howlinwolf

howlinwolf Active Member

Being able to move shipments across the dock is not a new concept. Freight docks had the dragline long before computers.

4. wongway

wongway -15% Pay , Never forget

Remember these -10 below days on dock when voting in 2019 , stop being a yes sheep , we deserve full pay for these type of cold working conditions !!

5. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

Wong, you're saying your sheep have been sheared, not enough wool to stay warm?

holland68 and troubleman84 like this.
  6. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Parttime Coop Driver

[​IMG]
    This guy doesn't look cold....

wongway and holland68 like this.
  7. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

He will be after I start wearing his hide. von.

8. 85Percenter

85Percenter New Member

Pu$$y

9. vongrimmenstein

In the year 2525, if man is still alive & woman can survive they will..... von.

wongway likes this.
  10. wongway

Great pic of you tough guy ! [​IMG]

sedain likes this.
  11. 85Percenter

85Percenter New Member

A real man doesn't whine and Bitch. He gets the job done....
    When you signed up for the job, you were advised you would be working in the elements. It's in the job description!!!
    You don't get to b1tch about the decision that YOU made for yourself that got you in the position you are in!!
    Man up and shut the f*ck up!!!

12. wongway

Woo Hoo , we got a new Macho Man TB ! You tell us how to get er done macho Man , oh wait think there's a gay song macho Man ! You go super trucker !

13. 85Percenter

85Percenter New Member

Leave it to you to talk about a "gay song".....
    You're probably getting your :censored: pounded as we speak....

14. Big Dave

Big Dave What?! A low bridge and boardwalk at same time?!!

Don't listen to him, Wong. I found out it's the new fueler at Coop Dispatch. He's Donna's half brother who needed a job. I'll have her talk to him...

troubleman84, Toby and wongway like this.
  15. vongrimmenstein

Now that's funny. Poor Donna, she has got to have her hands full with a 'Real Man'. What will she do to tame said 'real man'. Oh well, he must be the runt of the litter. Tell Donna we will pray for her. She gonna need help with a 'Real Man'. von.

Toby likes this.
  16. wongway

85% New Member clean up your potty mouth some ! !

Toby, holland68 and troubleman84 like this.
  17. Canadian Flyer

Canadian Flyer They Call Me CF, Eh

That wouldn't happen if these things loaded the trailer. Not that I'm advocating for that, but robots can be programmed to put up load bars and straps if given the appendages with which to do so.

It's easy to laugh at badly loaded freight. It stop being so funny when the cost of claims reaches a point where it's more economically feasible to replace dockworkers with robots. It's also easy to blame practices that require you to get off the forklift, practices other carriers have been engaging in for years without destroying freight, when the real reason is carelessness.

Loading and stacking freight safely and securely is something lots of people complain about all over TB. But there are dockworkers who do it safely and efficiently at barns everywhere every day and the freight arrives intact. Most of the pictures that have been posted on here are the result of a dockworker who couldn't be bothered to do it the right way.

And it's that attitude of not caring because you feel like you're being ripped off that will ultimately bring in the cost cutting robots.

Northern Flash and Toby like this.
  18. 85Percenter

85Percenter New Member

I apologize for the language. I just don't like lazy people who complain.

19. sedain

sedain Member

those things simply cannot do anything approaching what we do, the ai doesnt exist and nor does the equipment. the pallets are all different sizes dimensionally, everything you can think of..special handling, oversize, hand unload. the amount of money it would cost to automate a LTL dock like ours doesnt exist, the equipment and buildings let alone the ai etc doesnt exist.

gm is making a car without a steering wheel, i encorage you to go buy one and see how functional it is for you.. (good luck).

coondogg and pltjack like this.
  20. Canadian Flyer

Canadian Flyer They Call Me CF, Eh

The difference between an autonomous forklift and an autonomous car is that an autonomous forklift, like autonomous mining equipment that is substantially larger, operates in a people-free environment for the most part.

The AI doesn't have to be brilliant. It just has to be smart enough to execute a series of commands based on sensor readings. And if you think that technology doesn't already exist, you're wrong. There are mines where human interference amounts to fixing the machines when they break. All they need to do is map the terrain using the sensors and the machine does the rest.

I assure you that an autonomous forklift can do your job. The only reason they're not widespread yet is because they are still prohibitively expensive compared to people in a busy environment such as a break bulk crossdock. And considering just this year Intel revealed a processor suite specifically designed to work like the human brain, machines like these are getting closer to being able to interact with people.