XPO | Insurance

I ask what did we lose the vacation and retirement on new employees don't count. On both of those we stayed the same.
So what you are saying is we still have everything we had when the sale was finalized. What did happen was that cost and payout have changed but we are still offered the same things we had.
I did not ask what is costing you more or is a reduction. I ask what did XPO take away and the only thing I saw was the one dental plan is not being offered anymore.
Were as Con-way took away your free benefits, pay, vacation and money they put into your 401k.
The ACA was sold as it would lower cost and we are all still waiting on that.
I not sure if you understand that XPO does not pay into a group insurance plan. Our insurance is managed by Cigna. We are self insured meaning when XPO is paying your bill directly, Cigna just manages it
O un
I ask what did we lose the vacation and retirement on new employees don't count. On both of those we stayed the same.
So what you are saying is we still have everything we had when the sale was finalized. What did happen was that cost and payout have changed but we are still offered the same things we had.
I did not ask what is costing you more or is a reduction. I ask what did XPO take away and the only thing I saw was the one dental plan is not being offered anymore.
Were as Con-way took away your free benefits, pay, vacation and money they put into your 401k.
I not sure if you understand that XPO does not pay into a group insurance plan. Our insurance is managed by Cigna. We are self insured meaning when XPO is paying your bill directly, Cigna just manages it

I know all of this, but a reduction of bennies still occured after the sale. A reduction in all I stated occurred after the sale. We will have new employees feeling screwed beacuse of these differences between us as coworkers and that will not help this company stay competitive or retain newer employees. I've already seen it. Guys leave because they get the same insurance as the other employees at other lines.
You may not look at what I stared as a loss of bennies, but many of us do.

O un

I know all of this, but a reduction of bennies still occured after the sale. A reduction in all I stated occurred after the sale. We will have new employees feeling screwed beacuse of these differences between us as coworkers and that will not help this company stay competitive or retain newer employees. I've already seen it. Guys leave because they get the same insurance as the other employees at other lines.
You may not look at what I stared as a loss of bennies, but many of us do.
That was going on back in the Conway days too. So some get pissed because they get screwed years ago and hold Xpo accountable for it doesn't make sense to me. Be mad at who screwed you not the one who bought the company 2yrs ago.
I will say if when Xpo bought Conway they made use reapply for our jobs there would be none of this tier levels going on here.

That was going on back in the Conway days too. So some get pissed because they get screwed years ago and hold Xpo accountable for it doesn't make sense to me. Be mad at who screwed you not the one who bought the company 2yrs ago.
I will say if when Xpo bought Conway they made use reapply for our jobs there would be none of this tier levels going on here.
Absolutely it was, but this guy quoted to the world that he was gonna "show us some love" because we are the lifeblood if this company. Personally, I am not impressed.
I know we are self insured, but there are people paying weekly premiums that use little or no coverage during the year. Does this offset this that do? Maybe not, but when more people pay in, it give you the ability to pass on a discount or a smaller increase. If I paid $2 a week more for this insurance and my copays remained the same, I'd look at that as a plus.
If you back at my past posts, you'll see my same positions when we were Conway.

"What did happen was that cost and payout have changed but we are still offered the same things we had."

Look at it this way....it they were to cut our pay by $5 per hour but then let us work say 10 hours a week more and our pay was about the same, that'd be ok by you cause they still give us the about the same check?
Same scenario. You get about the same thing but gotta give more for it.

Cleveland Browns. It's an expansion team. But when the Original Cleveland Browns moved and became the Baltimore Ravens they left behind the Original Browns history.

Fast forward to today and when XPO Logistics bought Con-way Freight Inc , they bought the history ( good and bad and the responsibilities/liabilities of Con-way Freight Inc )
RgecFgr.jpg

XPO Logistics was founded in May 1989 which makes them 28 years old. Yet they claim 35 years in the LTL business? How? By using Con-way Freight Inc. and it's history to associate themselves with 35 years of LTL experience.
WWxfFAu.jpg

The history exists regardless of whose name is on the company. It's fine for the company when they want to promote their experience in LTL but Con-way doesn't exist when it comes to the employees.

Cleveland Browns. It's an expansion team. But when the Original Cleveland Browns moved and became the Baltimore Ravens they left behind the Original Browns history.

Fast forward to today and when XPO Logistics bought Con-way Freight Inc , they bought the history ( good and bad and the responsibilities/liabilities of Con-way Freight Inc )
RgecFgr.jpg

XPO Logistics was founded in May 1989 which makes them 28 years old. Yet they claim 35 years in the LTL business? How? By using Con-way Freight Inc. and it's history to associate themselves with 35 years of LTL experience.
WWxfFAu.jpg

The history exists regardless of whose name is on the company. It's fine for the company when they want to promote their experience in LTL but Con-way doesn't exist when it comes to the employees.

Same way Conway rode off of CF's history until they went out. Good point imo.

Last edited:
When the pension was "frozen" there was a match and also a company contribution. The match went away because of "hard times" but was supposed to be restored when there were two consecutive quarters of an Operating Ratio below 95. The company never honored what they said.

There is a thread that I started years ago about this. I believe I was incorrect about the OR in the thread when I posted at the time.

Some many lies, true that this was one of them.

Absolutely it was, but this guy quoted to the world that he was gonna "show us some love" because we are the lifeblood if this company. Personally, I am not impressed.
I know we are self insured, but there are people paying weekly premiums that use little or no coverage during the year. Does this offset this that do? Maybe not, but when more people pay in, it give you the ability to pass on a discount or a smaller increase. If I paid $2 a week more for this insurance and my copays remained the same, I'd look at that as a plus.
If you back at my past posts, you'll see my same positions when we were Conway.

It's pretty clear now that he was talking about some other drivers. Not us.

Very good point. And well described.

I will agree with what you said. XPO did buy Con-way history good, bad and the responsibilities/liabilities of Con-way. I will add that XPO had to honor all contracts until there expiration date and as far as I know they did. XPO has every right to use the service history of Con-way.
Now show me the contract that guarantees those lost 401k benefits will be returned when the OR is below 95 for 2 quarters. You can't which means there isn't one. The one thing I learned over the years, and any union member will tell you. Once you give something back or the company take a benefits anyway it is a harder to get it back, if at all. I been down that road in union and non-union shops.
I sorry to say but you all got Con-job at the Con-way and yea it sucks. XPO in no way had anything to do with the lose of you benefits or are they obliged to reinstate them.
In reply to you Brown/Raves example:
If you buy a house you buy it's history. You are buying a house and the woman you are buying it from promised her 35 year old son he can live there as long as he wanted rent free. You agree to a price and buy the house without knowing anything about what mommy promised JR. When you go to move in JR still living in the basement. Must you honor the promise she made to her son even though it was not in any of the contracts. Just because some CEO blow smoke up all your :butt kiss: years ago does mean that XPO has to make good on it.

As we see the Cleveland Browns had to move to Baltimore to win a Superbowl

I will agree with what you said. XPO did buy Con-way history good, bad and the responsibilities/liabilities of Con-way. I will add that XPO had to honor all contracts until there expiration date and as far as I know they did. XPO has every right to use the service history of Con-way.
Now show me the contract that guarantees those lost 401k benefits will be returned when the OR is below 95 for 2 quarters. You can't which means there isn't one. The one thing I learned over the years, and any union member will tell you. Once you give something back or the company take a benefits anyway it is a harder to get it back, if at all. I been down that road in union and non-union shops.
I sorry to say but you all got Con-job at the Con-way and yea it sucks. XPO in no way had anything to do with the lose of you benefits or are they obliged to reinstate them.
In reply to you Brown/Raves example:
If you buy a house you buy it's history. You are buying a house and the woman you are buying it from promised her 35 year old son he can live there as long as he wanted rent free. You agree to a price and buy the house without knowing anything about what mommy promised JR. When you go to move in JR still living in the basement. Must you honor the promise she made to her son even though it was not in any of the contracts. Just because some CEO blow smoke up all your :butt kiss: years ago does mean that XPO has to make good on it.

As we see the Cleveland Browns had to move to Baltimore to win a Superbowl

Now show me the contract that guarantees those lost 401k benefits will be returned when the OR is below 95 for 2 quarters. You can't which means there isn't one.

OMG....were you even employed here when the "Great Concession" video was shown to us? You have multiple employees verifying that it was communicated to us in a video years ago and you're asking for written, contractual proof. Gimme a break.

This is the only written guarantee you will ever have here. They can say anything they want, whenever they want and never follow through.
It says that specifically in the first two paragraphs of the policy manual.

Now show me the contract that guarantees those lost 401k benefits will be returned when the OR is below 95 for 2 quarters. You can't which means there isn't one.

OMG....were you even employed here when the "Great Concession" video was shown to us? You have multiple employees verifying that it was communicated to us in a video years ago and you're asking for written, contractual proof. Gimme a break.
Nope during that time I was look for a new job since the place I worked closed it doors, but hey you guy lost so much.
I never saw it but I'll take you word on it. Now refresh my member who was running the company and what was the name again
Also if the last Pres/CEO gave two sh**ts about any of those employees he would have put it in the contract of sale. As you see all those Exec's that promised this just took there money and ran.

Nope during that time I was look for a new job since the place I worked closed it doors, but hey you guy lost so much.
I never saw it but I'll take you word on it. Now refresh my member who was running the company and what was the name again
Also if the last Pres/CEO gave two sh**ts about any of those employees he would have put it in the contract of sale. As you see all those Exec's that promised this just took there money and ran.
YES!!!!YES!!!YES!!! This is why forums like this are so important. We talk about Conway cut this and Conway cut that and it's in the past....correct, but with this new bennie package that they just rolled out we see THE SAME systematic gradual reduction of benefits. Guys like me see this and react, some don't care. The fact is we are watching XPO do the same as CW has in the past.

YES!!!!YES!!!YES!!! This is why forums like this are so important. We talk about Conway cut this and Conway cut that and it's in the past....correct, but with this new bennie package that they just rolled out we see THE SAME systematic gradual reduction of benefits. Guys like me see this and react, some don't care. The fact is we are watching XPO do the same as CW has in the past.
The thing is every company is cutting. I know guys that have benefits that are even worst and cost them more then ours and on top of that get paid less the we do. Like less then our starting wage. By no way am I saying our benefits are great but they are in no way the worst.

The thing is every company is cutting. I know guys that have benefits that are even worst and cost them more then ours and on top of that get paid less the we do. Like less then our starting wage. By no way am I saying our benefits are great but they are in no way the worst.
There are many drivers out there that do have it worse than we do. You must keep your mindset on the freight world. That's the only thing that separates us from being paid less and crappier benefits. I'm just wanting folks here to recognize what's happening right before our very eyes. Some of us have seen what goes on and are pointing out things they feel aren't in our best interests. Some feel the union is the only way to ensure SOME, not all, of the benefits we have worked so hard and so long for. That choice resides in the individual. Some feel that we as employees could have a stronger say so in what happens in our own company, and if that works, good for them. In the end, all these corporations are exactly the same. Cut costs, make more money. No one up there cares about the guys getting it done. We are responsible to ourselves and coworkers to ensure that we are receiving what we are not entitled to, but what we've earned.

So I’m comparing my insurance “premiums “ weekly vs what the remainder of the company is paying and noticed the “weekly “ premiums you guys have doubled .( Our benefits stayed at 2016 coverage ) Why did some guys here say it only went up a couple dollars ? I haven’t even got into the changes for the rest of the plan such as copay's and deductibles. Wow!!!
Why have they doubled the premiums when they are breaking records... what happens next year ? ... what happens when they have a downturn?

Last edited:
Premium Basic HSA plan for single employee only went from $0 /wk to $5.08

Hra fund plan went from $ 6.23/wk to $14.54

Ppo went from $ 9.23 / to $19.38

Family basic HSA went from $ 21.23 / wk to $43.85

Family HSA plus went from $40.85 / wk to $ 72.92

Dental went from $4.95/wk to 11.94

Coverage for a family under the HSA plus with dental and vision went from
$50.33 / week to $ 93.92. That’s an increase of $43.59 a week or $ 2,266.68 a year

And so on

Last edited:
(I posted this on another thread but I'll repost it here in the appropriate thread for all the guys that say "they just give us a raise and then take it back in the fall")

We got a 2.5% raise this year the insurance went up $2-$8 depending on plan plus they doubled contribution to 4% so actually I got a 4.5% raise. I'll take that. Some of us can do math but for those who can't. Make $100k plus 4.5% means you got a raise of $4500, take $8 a week extra for insurance means they took back $416. I think we did ok with that extra $4086. (I realize some don't make what I make as a linehaul driver but you can do the math for yourself with your own wages I bet it still works out in your favor.)
So it only went up $2 to 8 a week huh? Looks like you were misinformed or they changed things up a bit. Let’s take a look at that math again...and we haven’t even got to the good stuff in the coverage. Where should we start..
Like I said what Jacobs givith in the spring he taketh away in the fall

Now you got a 2.5 % pay increase based on your $100,000 income that’s $2500. ( the additional 2.5 you figured in well leave out because you have to contribute to get anywhere near that) Now a family is paying $2266.68 in increased preamiums and I’m not even going to get into how much more you can add to that figure with copay increases and so on. I say it’s funny that’s it turned out to be exactly what they gave you in the pay increase is almost exactly what they took in increases.

Last edited: