SAIA | Insurance!!!

Double Nickle

Living from direct deposit to direct deposit.
Credits
What does everyone think of United Health Care insurance? Is it crappy or what? My family had to search for new doctors when we changed. We had been going to the same doctors for 15 years when we switched to UHC. Our old doctor flat refused to see us unless we paid cash. They said they have had MANY problems with UHC and will not be bothered by them again. Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville North Carolina, one of if not the best hospital east of Durham NC will not take UHC insurance. Why? They have had TO MANY problems trying to collect from UHC. IMAGINE THAT! Any one else out there with similar problems?

uhc is the pitts, hence ex saia driver. It is expensive and not honored due to them not paying. My wife had a routine test and the doctor was in the network. His office was not, therefore we wound up owing 1000 dollars after being told it would be only 400

It has been good for me out her in SEA. Wife had a baby and all the hospitals and doctors take it and It seems they get paid quickly. I am looking at my UHC now and they are processing the claims quickly.

i dont no what to say,i havent used are ins since west ex days,i use my wifes union ins.it gets me mad to see what some of you are going thought.it should be,and could be a lot better.dont stop talking about it or they may think its alright. scout,lattttter

Insurance

It's not that Saia's benefits are that bad. Saia just asks the employee to contribute a very large portion. Many companies don't require employee contributions.

Oak Harbor Freight Lines does not have a paycheck deduction for health insurance. I heard they're hiring line drivers in Las Vegas.

JEB777 said:
It's not that Saia's benefits are that bad. Saia just asks the employee to contribute a very large portion. Many companies don't require employee contributions.

Oak Harbor Freight Lines does not have a paycheck deduction for health insurance. I heard they're hiring line drivers in Las Vegas.

Which brings me to the point. Why don't we have a choice in the insurance we have? Instead of using one and only one insurance company, why not have a choice? Saia uses more than one company to deliver the freight to areas we don't cover so why not have more than one insurance provider? Aetna was a great insurance company for the area I live in so why can't we have have a choice since WE (the employees) pay so much of the premiums? I would rather pay MORE for insurance that I can use instead of paying this much for a drug prescription card. That's all the UHC insurance is good for where I live.

It's just a way that some companies lower the cost insurance by sending their employees to Doctors that may cut the treatment that you may need just to get you in the door to get that co-pay and to get what ever the insurance pays, I'll bet the big shots at Saia goes where ever they want and gets full benefits.

Just a question here. They pay us to do a job, right? Ever wonder why we feel entitled to insurance? Why should we expect someone else to pay for, or even help pay for, our insurance. Why should they. Remember, they're already paying us for our services. How many people have we offered to insure out of our pockets just because they think we should pay for it? Just something to think on. I'm all for insurance, I just don't feel entitled to it. As far as UHC goes, no problems here in Charlotte. And I have 3 kids under the age of 10, so I use it plenty.

hi to all.this is a reply to nervouswreck,yes they do pay us to do a job,and yes they should provide ins.when i got this job it stated good pay and bennnys,now if it said ok pay and ok bennnys i would of went somewhere else..this is how you get hired.got me in the door.so i do feel entitled to it,they put it on the table..gotta go drive safe,gotta take the kid to school.

ca.indian scout said:
hi to all.this is a reply to nervouswreck,yes they do pay us to do a job,and yes they should provide ins.when i got this job it stated good pay and bennnys,now if it said ok pay and ok bennnys i would of went somewhere else..this is how you get hired.got me in the door.so i do feel entitled to it,they put it on the table..gotta go drive safe,gotta take the kid to school.
Alright, then who's definition of ''good'' are we gonna use? To the single mother with 3 kids making $7hr, she would probably think it was great insurance. Good or great or no good. Can argue this all day long. Just wondered why we think someone else should pay for our health insurance. Maybe they should pay for our homeowners ins., too. Auto? Surely I deserve this,also. Might as well pay for my kids back-to-school outfits also. Where does it end? Everybody thinks everybody owes them something for nothing. It's getting worse every generation. Anyhow, guess I'm off topic now. Sorry for rambling.

nervouswreck said:
Just wondered why we think someone else should pay for our health insurance. Maybe they should pay for our homeowners ins., too. Auto? Surely I deserve this,also. Might as well pay for my kids back-to-school outfits also. Where does it end? Everybody thinks everybody owes them something for nothing. It's getting worse every generation. Anyhow, guess I'm off topic now. Sorry for rambling.

I'm not in HR, but if you recall the insurance is part of the OVERALL compensation program. I know that for the last few years the corporate office would mail out a brochure/folder outlining what my total compensation package is. That spelled out wages, insurance, retirement,etc.

I can't complain about the premium costs as when I reached my 10 year anniversary the company started paying the entire premium.

Having said that, one might inquire as to what health insurance would cost on the open market as it applies to your particular situation. It should be an eye opener. One might suspect that if we were paid a straight wage (paid the money that goes to insurance premiums included in that wage) we would find that health insurance would no longer be affordable.

As for being entitled to the insurance, the company has a choice of not paying for health insurance. However, the marketplace dictates that to be able to hire and retain a quality and qualified workforce they will have to make available to at least their full time employees health insurance.

nervouswreck said:
Alright, then who's definition of ''good'' are we gonna use? To the single mother with 3 kids making $7hr, she would probably think it was great insurance. Good or great or no good. Can argue this all day long. Just wondered why we think someone else should pay for our health insurance. Maybe they should pay for our homeowners ins., too. Auto? Surely I deserve this,also. Might as well pay for my kids back-to-school outfits also. Where does it end? Everybody thinks everybody owes them something for nothing. It's getting worse every generation. Anyhow, guess I'm off topic now. Sorry for rambling.

How would you feel if your wife or child NEEDED to see a doctor, you pay for insurance that you expect to work for you, and it does not? We have searched for doctors 75 miles from home to take the insurance. The UHC website might indicate a doctor will take the UHC card but when you call them, they say "No we don't accept that insurance company anymore. We have had too many problems collecting for our services but please feel free to come in. We do accept cash and check and credit cards. " Is the UHC card not a form of credit. Its like a credit card with a pre-determined spending limit that WE pay for in advance. Instead of sitting back making excuses and telling about how "good or great" UHC is, how about pushing for a second insurance company so EVERY employee and their families will be covered. When Saia used Aetna insurance, every doctor in this area accepted Aetna. Saia only switched BACK to UHC to save THEM money. Saia even admitted "there used to be problems with UHC before but WE feel confident those problems have been worked out." BULL! All we have at GNC is a drug prescription card. Imagine someone using your truck one day and finding out a tie rod was loose on your steering but failed to write it up. You found out the hard way when you lost your steering and crashed. Would you feel that someone failed to do their job? I feel as if Saia has failed to do their job. They said they had insurance available for me and my family but they don't.

We aren't the only ones looking at this issue

Found this on the UPSF board, just one quote from a poster:

Health Care is a huge issue in todays company's. Most are trying to do away with medical and pension benefits and putting the cost on to the employees. I have many friends who pay for their own medical plans at $800-$1000 per month. I would love to have better benefits BUT I am not complaining

your insurance benefits are part of your compensation package for work performed. A cut in the quality of insurance is a cut in pay. How would SAIA like it if every employee did 15% less work per hour? same idea!

i only want what i was offered,by the comp that wanted me to work for them,nothing else..if i do the job show me the money,and the bennnnys..nothing else,just what you offered me to work for you..see ya on the road ,,,scout

Whooooaa there partners. I'm not arguing whether the insurance is good or not. Obviously, most of you didn't get the jist of my first post on this issue. I was just referring to why we as employees here in the good ol USA, feel that someone else should pay for our health ins. Didn't mean to touch a nerve with anyone.

Nervous,

I believe our beloved masters have created that expectation by advertising as an additional benefit above our rate of pay, be it hourly or mileage or salary.

If the business community as a whole decided tomorrow to no longer provide group health insurance as part of the total compensation package, then those companies that would continue to do so would have a pronounced advantage in hiring and retention of employees.

If you really want to stir up the hornets nest let this question be proposed............Would we as individuals and families be more cost concious in seeking health care except in the most catastrophic of situations if the total cost of health care were borne by us?

There is a train of thought chugging along that suggests that if individuals were more responsible for the costs of health care that perhaps medical bills might not be so high as consumer pressure would be placed on healthcare providers to reduce costs or lose business.