New Penn | Interline Freight

CFer

TB Veteran
Credits
Has New Penn started picking up Bestway freight going south yet?
How's that business doing if it has started

CFer said:
Has New Penn started picking up Bestway freight going south yet?
How's that business doing if it has started
CFer .... heard someone in a break room state we are picking up southern freight now .... but I haven't seen any promotional material on this ? Were did you find out about this service ?
You would think they would get the other services working well before attempting something else.
Dang .... we are slow ! What happened to all the freight ?

flstc2000 said:
CFer .... heard someone in a break room state we are picking up southern freight now .... but I haven't seen any promotional material on this ? Were did you find out about this service ?
You would think they would get the other services working well before attempting something else.
Dang .... we are slow ! What happened to all the freight ?

Someone mentioned it a few weeks ago on the old boards. I know New Penn has been getting inbound freight from Bestway for a while but I guess the are gonna start picking it up also

that is correct. may 1st is the start date of the new service. there is a memo on the board in baltimore about this. it will be 6 new states(tx,ok,nm,al,ms,nb,)i beleive theses are the states. with wilson trucking handling alabama.

nightowl said:
that is correct. may 1st is the start date of the new service. there is a memo on the board in baltimore about this. it will be 6 new states(tx,ok,nm,al,ms,nb,)i beleive theses are the states. with wilson trucking handling alabama.

Hi nightowl, I work for bestway out of Little Rock, AR. We have been hearing for quite a while now that either us or Jackson will be the interchange point for the New Penn freight. :wavey:

first load going south, may 2nd , supposed to be no gaurenteed time delivery freight. or freezables, although dont think that would be a deal down south.loading out of camp hill again, for destination down south.

murphyslaw said:
Hi nightowl, I work for bestway out of Little Rock, AR. We have been hearing for quite a while now that either us or Jackson will be the interchange point for the New Penn freight. :wavey:
i also heard dallas.

allnightrain44 said:
first load going south, may 2nd , supposed to be no gaurenteed time delivery freight. or freezables, although dont think that would be a deal down south.loading out of camp hill again, for destination down south.

Yeah I am sure there is a big demand for freezable protection in Tx:biglaugh:

:smilie_132: Ok murphy, why did they tear down the walls at your barn and double the size there. Does your dispather now anything about this. Just curious from anthor little rock guy:smilie_132:

You know CFer I don't get it. We (HMES) were told that the best paying frt is #1 local p/u & del. of a shipment #2 nextday #3 two day. Most interline frt is not profitable. I remember how excited everyone was when HMES started the same service New Penn is about to indulge in. I hope your service doesn't suffer as our's did. Our trl pool is out of balance due us loading trl's to Tx. instead of pup's. Allnightrain did I read that right or was that a type-o? No service standards on your frt, does it pay or does NP pay to haul it? Never heard of that in my 29 years of city p&d. GRIZZ

New Penn probably wouldn't haul it if it wasn't profitable. they will dump accounts that don't turn a decent profit we've seen it happen before.
Grizz don't forget export shipments, they are near the top of the profit chain.

Justice very good point. But don't forget at HMES we sort-of held the same position in the industry as NP, except on a larger scale. It wasn't that many years ago Holland would not p/u any frt that was not a direct point. They'll never convince me with the insertion of interline frt, their next intention was the intergration of USF as one company. Well history tells the rest of the story.I think the whole plan blew up in USF's face after Yellow bought us. If Dopie would ever come back, he could probably explain the profit or lack of profit interline frt brings. In Memphis we are sort of a hub for interline. Listen to this, the trl's on our yard--JB Hunt--US Carriers--Navaho--Glen Moore--Bestway and I probably missed a few. Our trl pool for Bestway is suppose to be 40-50 pups. In Memphis interline frt effects 40% of our work daily. GRIZZ

The interchange point is Dallas. Transit time is 3 days to TX and East and 4 days to El Paso and West...saving a day of transit if the customer ships on Thursday or Friday. The AL freight is routed Wilson into Atlanta, GA for transfer to AL points. HQ is looking for 150 shipments a day as a target. 50% of this freight is projected to have a final in TX.

we have been p/u about 5 to 10 bills a day at our term. for the west. not a lot but a start. most are for Ca. and Wash..

I guess I can't see the big picture.
In central NJ New Penn took a good sized LTL account away from Roadway. Customer was using both carriers but are now using New Penn for California & other west coast points.

It doesn't make sense to me. Can it be that much cheaper to have New Penn interline a shipment than for Roadway to handle it direct ?

I thought both these companys were on the same team

I do the same in West Tenn. There is an account that Yellow, Roadway and Holland p/u everyday at the same time. I get tons of LTL going to the West coast, plus Tx. YFS & Big R get a little bit going in Midwest region. What I've been told is transit time via HMES-Reddaway is a day less. But, sales has told us we do not sell these moves anymore. GRIZZ