Holland | Interviewing with USF

kenseth3374

TB Lurker
Credits
I am in the interview process for USF (I take the strength test tomorrow)as a city driver, and I have a few ?'s that I hope someone can answer.

I was told that it takes about 6 months to get into the union. True?

What is the starting wage?

How are the benefits? (health, 401K, etc)

Is there anything else I should know about this position?

I was at Con-Way before this, so going into a union company is all new to me.

Thanks for your help!

To get into the union all you do is go to the Union Hall and tell them that you want to join. Initiation fee is about $150. They will sign you up and take care of the paperwork. Then tell them that you want your dues to be taken out of your check. They will take care of that. The starting wage is 75% of $21.85. It takes 2 years to reach 100%. Keep your mouth shut and come to work everyday for your 30 days probation. Good Luck.

Thanks for the welcomes and all the info!

How are the benefits?

I also heard a rumor that if you have one single accident you are gone. True?

Accident during your 30 day probation will usually cost you your job. Don't think about, just don't take any chances and before you know it your 30 days will be up. Good luck GRIZZ

kenseth, your health insurance and pension come from the union. usf management aren't really involved in these things and can't give you a whole lot of answers. you need to meet with your shop steward and he should be able to answer anything. i'm sure he'll introduce himself to you the first time he bumps into you. most likely you'll find your insurance plan to be about the best around at no expense to the employee. you'll be a casual for 60 days at the casual pay rate (not sure what it is ) after the 60 days your put on that terminals seniority list and "your in". once you make the list the only way i know of to get fired is physical assault, getting caught red handed stealing or getting caught trying to hide an accident. once you make the list you go to 75% of the pay rate for 12 months, 80% at 18 months, 90% at 24 months and top rate in 2 years. 4/1/07 top rate will be around 22.23 and we'll be going into the last year of the present contract. personally i'd take holland over conway. good luck.

deadhead said:
kenseth, your health insurance and pension come from the union. usf management aren't really involved in these things and can't give you a whole lot of answers. you need to meet with your shop steward and he should be able to answer anything. i'm sure he'll introduce himself to you the first time he bumps into you. most likely you'll find your insurance plan to be about the best around at no expense to the employee. you'll be a casual for 60 days at the casual pay rate (not sure what it is ) after the 60 days your put on that terminals seniority list and "your in". once you make the list the only way i know of to get fired is physical assault, getting caught red handed stealing or getting caught trying to hide an accident. once you make the list you go to 75% of the pay rate for 12 months, 80% at 18 months, 90% at 24 months and top rate in 2 years. 4/1/07 top rate will be around 22.23 and we'll be going into the last year of the present contract. personally i'd take holland over conway. good luck.
Start to 12 mo. 75%
12 to 18 mo. 80%
18 to 24 mo. 90%
Top out to 100% after 24 mo.