Introduce ourselves again

Moneyman01

Proud to be a dad!
Credits
Foodservice guys lets introduce ourselves again. Its also to help get this section going again.

I'm from MN but moved to WI but i have 3 1/2 years foodservice currently driving for Gordon Foodservice doing night transit. 2 years with a small foodservice company and 1 year at Dawn foods. 1 year doing ltl and 5 months doing otr.

Pittsburgh,PA

Work for a 3PL dedicated to a small food service company in the Pittsburgh area. 8 years of food service experience. Worked for a Wendy's distributor for one year and the past seven(don't count the six months I left and worked in hell;AKA Papa John's distrubution).

Before that, worked four years at an Allied agent doing commercial and hosehold moving. Learned to drive from them.Want to go back further? Six years at a grocery store as a stock clerk. Started there when I was 16.

Tulsa OK.

I have 19 years driving, all of it in food except for a 7 year break to try my hand at freight, as you all can see I'm back to food, the freight biz sux..LOL!

I have worked for, in order, Daylight Donuts, where I learned to drive, American Freightways, (later fedex freight), Tankersley Foods, Performance Food Group, and now Sysco Foods, when I get to old to do this anymore, I'm 43 now, I hope to go into management within foodservice, transportation or operations, it matters not either way.

wow the foodservice section is really slow. Everyone must be very busy out there on the routes. Ive been busy because my son was born on wednsday. I wish we could get the food side going again

RR is right Money, they do grow up quick, spend all the time you can with him, you don't know what the future holds.

I wish we could get this side of things going again, there just aren't many of us food guys around here, its mostly ltl guys, I guess if its going to get going its up to us.

29 years driving. Drove for White Swan / US Foodservice for 23 years. I ran mostly 2 day layover routes for 19 years. Then I was a shuttle driver for a year then did backhauls 5 days a week for 3 years. Went to freight as a linehaul driver (USF Bestway/Reddaway) for 6 years after US Foods closed the warehouse in Mesquite TX. I really liked the freight as far as the road driver side of it. Planned on staying there until I retired but Yellow Freight put that idea to rest when they closed all the Reddaway terminals in Texas. Took a extended vacation for a Year and five months. Now I've been back at US Foodservice for 2 years, but not driving.

Welcome rowdy. What did you think of shuttling compared to linehauling freight? I know a few guys that work for US foodservice here in MN and they like it.

I liked freight better over all. Less crap to deal with but if your in the grocery business shuttles sure beat throwing groceries.

The only thing I know is they deliver to convience stores. To me it wouldnt be a bad gig. What warehouse you looking at? theres one here in Eau Claire WI.

Hello from So Calif. Been driving for 16 years, 13 of which have been in the food service/grocery industry. I drove Amphibious Assault Vehicles in the Marine Corps, got out in 1996. Went to work for Penske Logistics where I learned to drive truck making home deliveries for Sears. Then worked for in order: Con-way, Natures Best, IBC Wonder Bread/Hostess (8 years), Natures Best (again) and now Concord Foods Inc. (Specializing in Italian Foods). I am happily married with 5 kids and one more due in the next few weeks. God has blessed me with a healthy family and work to put food on the table and a roof over our heads.

Hello from So Calif. Been driving for 16 years, 13 of which have been in the food service/grocery industry. I drove Amphibious Assault Vehicles in the Marine Corps, got out in 1996. Went to work for Penske Logistics where I learned to drive truck making home deliveries for Sears. Then worked for in order: Con-way, Natures Best, IBC Wonder Bread/Hostess (8 years), Natures Best (again) and now Concord Foods Inc. (Specializing in Italian Foods). I am happily married with 5 kids and one more due in the next few weeks. God has blessed me with a healthy family and work to put food on the table and a roof over our heads.
What happened to IBC Wonder? 8 yrs, you must have had a bid after all that time, If I got a bid with them I would never quit, starting on extra though, your wife better have a good job, because you ain't workin but 2 or 3 days a week, thats IBC in Tulsa though.

What happened to IBC Wonder? 8 yrs, you must have had a bid after all that time, If I got a bid with them I would never quit, starting on extra though, your wife better have a good job, because you ain't workin but 2 or 3 days a week, thats IBC in Tulsa though.

I was fortunate to have a bid from day one. I was hired along with 30 other drivers in 1999 when IBC picked up the Albertson's private label contract. I had weekends off the last year then the company filed BK and wanted concessions. We said no and they tried to scare the rest of the country by shutting down the So Cal bakeries. They closed Pomona, Glendale and San Diego. Left Hostess open in Los Angeles. I had enough seniority to transfer over to Hostess but it would have been an 85 mile commute one way so I passed. We had 180 drivers in So Cal and only 60 were kept I was #59. I miss the money but not the split days off which I would have to do again.
I had an interview with U.S. Foods and Airgas Specialty Products last week. Both went well and are moving forward with the application process so may be changing jobs soon.

welcome hand trucking mule. Nice to have a new person around and don't be a stranger. GT and rr are the 2 crazy guys here so don't really listen to em. LoL jk guys. So why you looking for a different job? US foods is a good outfit so is Airgas but I wouldn't like working every weekend or holiday. I've thought about US Foods but I don't want to be stuck in downtown Minneapolis or St.Paul everyday.

I also had a job interview last week with Mohawk Industries but haven't heard back. But I filled out paperwork for previous employment and drug screening which to me is weird because you normally fill that out if they offer you the job. He wanted me to do a road test but they didn't have a truck there for me to do it. So I don't know what to think. My dad thinks I might have it or there very interested in me.

but again welcome to the forums and don't be a stranger

welcome hand trucking mule. Nice to have a new person around and don't be a stranger. GT and rr are the 2 crazy guys here so don't really listen to em. LoL jk guys. So why you looking for a different job? US foods is a good outfit so is Airgas but I wouldn't like working every weekend or holiday. I've thought about US Foods but I don't want to be stuck in downtown Minneapolis or St.Paul everyday.

I also had a job interview last week with Mohawk Industries but haven't heard back. But I filled out paperwork for previous employment and drug screening which to me is weird because you normally fill that out if they offer you the job. He wanted me to do a road test but they didn't have a truck there for me to do it. So I don't know what to think. My dad thinks I might have it or there very interested in me.

but again welcome to the forums and don't be a stranger

Thanks Moneyman. My current job pays well but the benefits suck. Zero sick days, 2 weeks vaca max, medical costs an arm and a leg and no raises in the last 5 years. The only good things are that everyone has weekends off, I have set routes and that's about it. There is no room for growth here, pretty much a dead end job.

So why do you want to change jobs? Good luck by the way.

I understand why you want to quit. Gotta do whats best for your family. Airgas you could retire from and i dont know about US Foods down there but you could maybe eventually get on shuttle with them and retire. Is US Foods union down there? I'm sure Airgas is because I think there union everywhere.

They want to move all transit (night shuttles) to the warehouse. The warehouse is 5 hours from my yard and I dont want to move to Milwaukee WI. I havent heard that I'm being affected yet but theres alot of changes coming so I think eventually it would be my time. The money is good tho. Also I'm tired of working nights. I got a lil boy at home and my fiance and I would like to be home in the evenings with them. But this job I interviewed for I'll be gone 3 nights a week doing layovers in ND but it would be more money. If I could get a day route where I'm working it would be fine then I wouldnt have to move.

I understand why you want to quit. Gotta do whats best for your family. Airgas you could retire from and i dont know about US Foods down there but you could maybe eventually get on shuttle with them and retire. Is US Foods union down there? I'm sure Airgas is because I think there union everywhere.

They want to move all transit (night shuttles) to the warehouse. The warehouse is 5 hours from my yard and I dont want to move to Milwaukee WI. I havent heard that I'm being affected yet but theres alot of changes coming so I think eventually it would be my time. The money is good tho. Also I'm tired of working nights. I got a lil boy at home and my fiance and I would like to be home in the evenings with them. But this job I interviewed for I'll be gone 3 nights a week doing layovers in ND but it would be more money. If I could get a day route where I'm working it would be fine then I wouldnt have to move.
Don't worry Money, Dianna and I are prayin for ya, you know as well as I that it will all work out, I hope you get the job at Mohawk, even though you will be gone its still a better deal, on the plus side you won't be there to agravate Bailey and she will love you even more than she already does :) You deserve to be home with that precious little man of yours but if you do the layover thing you will be more rested when you get home and have more quality time than you do now!

You know I'm behind you Brother, I gotta take Dianna and her daughter to the mall then we are going to see the lights at Paragon industries, I'll call you Sunday.

GT

I would say that Airgas and US Foods are top tier driving jobs where I would call a Job for the long haul (retirement). US Foods is union but Airgas in my area is not but all of their benefits are equal if not better than union shops.

It's good that you are preparing for a possible change in operations at your employer. When I saw the writing on the wall with IBC I started looking for close to equal employment right away, unlike most of the drivers who didn't want to believe the inevitable end coming. I in turn went from IBC to Natures Best without missing one day of work. While others have still not recovered. It pays to be able to judge your surroundings and adapt to whatever circumstances may come your way.

Like GT said the layovers will have you nice and rested up for when you are home. I for one love 3/2 (3 trips one week 2 trips the next) or 3 trip layover schedules and ran them for a few years. Now that I am home every night, I am exhausted and not worth much to the family as far as quality time. Yeah I get to eat dinner every night and sleep in my own bed but thats about it. My wife and I were talking about this very thing recently and we both agree that the one night layover runs were nicer because when you are home, you are home if you know what I mean.

Good luck!