ABF | Is ABF Having a Little Trouble With Their Vacation Policy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
I had two guys from my barn leave for ABF and others that want to go. It was all about the pension for them. I told guys I'd hate to see them leave but, if you have 10-12 years or less in the pension then you should go to where they will add to your pension and not at the lousy 25% rate. That all could change with a new ABF contract but it's better to get 4 more years of full pension and worry about a new contract down the road.
The two that left have no regrets.

2 years for a lousy week is a slap in the face to any working man. Anywhere else you accrue as you go.
Yea, any working man, much less a UNION working man. And all this from the union that brought you the weekend???? What a disgrace.

Ridiculous.... how the heck that was OK'd by membership is beyond insane...

It was ridiculous, Brother. A little more than half of the membership was panicked, and stampeded into voting yes by a rumor released by DC Velocity that YRC had made an offer to buy ABF,....right, just , almost, exactly when the ballots were going out......what wonderful....."timing"....as it were. Any negotiator worth his salt would've immediately ground the negotiations to a halt, invalidated any ballots, and demanded that the company either substantiated the rumor,...or declared it false. After all,....what's the point of negotiating a contract if you're going to be bought by a carrier with an agreement already in place?.........And,...as it goes,......time has shown the so-called "offer" to buy ABF was a false ruse. Once again, I'll say it. Either our ......."leaders"....negotiating the contract were incompetent,......or complicit. No other answer.

It was ridiculous, Brother. A little more than half of the membership was panicked, and stampeded into voting yes by a rumor released by DC Velocity that YRC had made an offer to buy ABF,....right, just , almost, exactly when the ballots were going out......what wonderful....."timing"....as it were. Any negotiator worth his salt would've immediately ground the negotiations to a halt, invalidated any ballots, and demanded that the company either substantiated the rumor,...or declared it false. After all,....what's the point of negotiating a contract if you're going to be bought by a carrier with an agreement already in place?.........And,...as it goes,......time has shown the so-called "offer" to buy ABF was a false ruse. Once again, I'll say it. Either our ......."leaders"....negotiating the contract were incompetent,......or complicit. No other answer.
And Karma has come around for a visit.

Not sure what that meant, but the union brought the working man the weekend? ??

Yessir, Brother CenturyClass,......Any casual reading of Labor history in the United States would show how Unions eventually limited the work week to 40 hours. The formula goes: 8 hours for work, 8 hours for family, 8 hours for sleep. Around the turn of the century, a work week was 6 and a half days,...half of Sunday off,....(Oh, those good Christian business owners!....),...and the average day was 12 hours. In steel mills and meat-packing plants, it was customary to..."tip"...your foreman, so he wouldn't assign you to a more "lethal" job. Read: "Out of This Furnace" about conditions in steel mills. Read: "The Jungle" about conditions in meat-packing plants. Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" was so brutal that after he read it, President Theodore Roosevelt lobbied for, and passed the Pure Food Act, and many Labor reform acts during his presidency. The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 set the work week as a national standard,...and was passed by heavy Union lobbying, to the benefit of all,....Union or non-Union. Unfortunately,....trucking was excluded from the Fair Labor Standards Act,.....along with motion picture operators, fishermen, and tree-sap gatherers,....therefore these occupations are exempt from overtime laws, and minimum wage laws..............unless they organize, and put overtime pay in a contract. Find a good Encyclopedia Brittanica, and read how the fight over the Fair Labor Standards Act went down. Very enlightening. ....Big Business has always sloshed money around to bully their workforce and maximize their profits

had the email from welch up until a few weeks ago confirming that they laid it out to ABF that they were interested in buying...

Well of course he would put something like that out. Had to cover his posterior, when questions arose about the validity of the offer. The timing of the offer couldn't be more suspect. Sounds like one union company CEO lending a hand to another CEO to ensure the contract was ratified. It worked.

had the email from welch up until a few weeks ago confirming that they laid it out to ABF that they were interested in buying...

What happened, Brother? He didn't write it in disappearing ink, did he? I'm sure that if you requested,....or maybe subpoenaed,....another copy from him, he'd be proud to supply it to you......

She's doing fine, recovering at home. Surprisingly, taking her new hairdo in stride. Thanks .

Good to hear, Brother! If there's one job more important than President,.........more responsible than CEO,.........more compassionate than Pope,.......it's Husband. I'm sure you're up to the job! Best wishes to both of you!

Good to hear, Brother! If there's one job more important than President,.........more responsible than CEO,.........more compassionate than Pope,.......it's Husband. I'm sure you're up to the job! Best wishes to both of you!

Thanks brother. But that was my mother who fell ill. It is much harder being a husband than a son. Funny how life is, as you grow older, mom starts to treat you as an adult, then you get married and the wife starts treating you as a child. Lol. Alls good on the home front. Couldn't ask for a better wife and family.

Thanks brother. But that was my mother who fell ill. It is much harder being a husband than a son. Funny how life is, as you grow older, mom starts to treat you as an adult, then you get married and the wife starts treating you as a child. Lol. Alls good on the home front. Couldn't ask for a better wife and family.

Sorry I got your designation mixed up, brother. I'm glad that both your mom and wife are around to treat you good. Long-term sicknesses are rough. Good Luck to you all.

What happened, Brother? He didn't write it in disappearing ink, did he? I'm sure that if you requested,....or maybe subpoenaed,....another copy from him, he'd be proud to supply it to you......

no, it wasn't in disappearing ink. I just finally had to get rid of everything that reminded me that I wasted 7 years at that company before coming to ABF. not that ABF is perfect by any means but its way better than YRC ever will be.

no, it wasn't in disappearing ink. I just finally had to get rid of everything that reminded me that I wasted 7 years at that company before coming to ABF. not that ABF is perfect by any means but its way better than YRC ever will be.
It could be worse I had 10.....others had many more than that before jumping ship....

On New Century Transportation:
"....Steve Herda, district manager for Arkansas-based ABF Freight System, parked his car on East Park Drive and handed out information about his company.

"I probably talked to about 30 people in two hours," he noted.

"ABF has 245 locations around the United States, and we're looking to recruit drivers. We heard rumors (of the closing) just this morning (Monday), so I came out here....."

Hey Steve, don't forget to brag about ABF's vacation policy when bragging about coming to work for ABF......

FMLA can be used in single days it doesn't not have to be used in weeks. you do have 16 total weeks of time that can be used