ABF | Is ABF ready to buy???

If we take a look at the recent marketing adds by ABF via Google, it appears that the author is possibly on track with future ABF/YRC acquisitions.

Not Sure about spending...

ABF reported their O.R. today for the 1st Quarter.... 108! It wouldn't appear ABF is in position to purchase anything right now. Maybe things will turn around but its hard for me to believe ABF will look at spending any money when there were no profits in the 1st quarter.

If we take a look at the recent marketing adds by ABF via Google, it appears that the author is possibly on track with future ABF/YRC acquisitions.

An 80 O.R. now or 20 years ago meant you were making money... A 108 today equals a loss of millions.... There will be one maybe two LTL carriers operate below 100.. It wont be YRC!

The Carolina acquisition just about put them out of business... I hope they're smarter than trying something like that again... Maybe a national warehousing chain to compliment the trucking side???

:highfive:

I agree with your last sentence.:clap::highfive::hysterical::

i don't believe you have anything to worry about. The are looking strictly into warehousing and logisitics. They are not looking to purchase another LTL carrier. I wish the people that write these articles would investigate their information and not base their information on rumors.

Carolina/Worldway

The Carolina acquisition just about put them out of business... I hope they're smarter than trying something like that again... Maybe a national warehousing chain to compliment the trucking side???

You are correct Grover. I think the $800,000 they spent Q4 08 to research the acquisition in question shows that they don't want to be surprised again about unknown liabilities. $800,000 seems like a large amount but it is much better than millions that wasn't planned/budgeted. ABF is the only freight line that has successfully bought other lines & survived.
Like you I think that this next move may be something other than LTL. ABF has facilities everywhere now so I don't see a need to buy hundreds of terminals.
I also know that ABF doesn't want go deeper into the underfunded pension plans.

The are looking strictly into warehousing and logisitics. They are not looking to purchase another LTL carrier. I wish the people that write these articles would investigate their information and not base their information on rumors.

Could you please share with all of us as to where we can read this for ourselves ? A link to a website, an article or something?

i don't believe you have anything to worry about. The are looking strictly into warehousing and logisitics. They are not looking to purchase another LTL carrier. I wish the people that write these articles would investigate their information and not base their information on rumors.

What I read from Mr. Davidson was " I assume it will stay with the transportation, distribution and logistics areas".
He did say "Transportation" didn't he ?
Any other comment from that article was from investment analysts strictly voicing an opinion.
Never count anything out in today's economic climate.

I want to apologize to all on the ABF forum. I had no right to post my comment on this forum. I was upset because I felt that the article was based on some rumors. That didn't give me the right to post my comments. Let me say again I am sorry for my comments.

Thanks GO40, I was meaning other than that one that we all have read.

searcher09, in my opinion you have nothing to be sorry for. We all have our opinions on what is/will happen. The recent article that is in the first post of this thread seems to be based on rumors, opinions and facts. This site is for all of us to post our opinions about different issues and subjects. I see your point and I also see other members point too.

When you posted "i don't believe you have anything to worry about." You seemed to be only stating your opinion.

When you stated "The(y) are looking strictly into warehousing and logisitics. They are not looking to purchase another LTL carrier. I wish the people that write these articles would investigate their information and not base their information on rumors." To me, you seemed to be saying the article was incorrect and I was only asking you to share your sources of information with all of us.

Like I said, you're welcome to your opinion about this issue as everyone else is welcome to their's. I'm here to find and share information with other members, please keep sharing your thought's with us all.

Searcher09: No need to apologize, I believe no harm was intended and insight and perspective is what makes these boards an instrument of success. We are all entitled to a point of view, I believe, isn't that correct...