Estes | Is Estes a good company to work for?

Relatively speaking, they are one of the better LTL carriers to work for.

What your experience is like can vary greatly based on the quality of management at the local facility.

If you get an interview you can get as much insight about the place and the people as they can about you.

How long have folks been around? If you don't see many that are sticking around in the 3-5 year range....that's a red flag to me. How were you greeted when you arrived? How many times does the phone ring before someone picks up? How are the office workers talking to each other? How do you hear the dispatcher communicating with the drivers?

How clean is the facility and the equipment? That tells me what type of pride the workers have in the facility and how effective local management is in operating the facility. If you ask to be shown around the facility and the TM takes you out around the dock/yard...when he comes across some trash does he stop to pick it up or does he yell for someone else to pick it up? Does he greet folks by name when he sees them?

Granted, at this time, it's your interview, but you should be seeing them on their best behavior as well.

As to pay and benefits you could do a whole lot worse and not a whole bunch better. To me, it comes down to working conditions and the environment.

One persons trash is another ones treasure,welcome to LTL trucking...

I like it here.Its not perfect,but ive seen worse.Money is decent,insurance is decent,401k match,etc.They seem to really like teams and they all have late model equipment.Not sure about experience when they come to hiring teams but I wouldnt think it would be a bad gig..gl

What your experience is like can vary greatly based on the quality of management at the local facility.

If you get an interview you can get as much insight about the place and the people as they can about you.

How long have folks been around? If you don't see many that are sticking around in the 3-5 year range....that's a red flag to me. How were you greeted when you arrived? How many times does the phone ring before someone picks up? How are the office workers talking to each other? How do you hear the dispatcher communicating with the drivers?

How clean is the facility and the equipment? That tells me what type of pride the workers have in the facility and how effective local management is in operating the facility. If you ask to be shown around the facility and the TM takes you out around the dock/yard...when he comes across some trash does he stop to pick it up or does he yell for someone else to pick it up? Does he greet folks by name when he sees them?

Granted, at this time, it's your interview, but you should be seeing them on their best behavior as well.

As to pay and benefits you could do a whole lot worse and not a whole bunch better. To me, it comes down to working conditions and the environment.
So true! Good things to keep in mind!

I saw on your post on the ABF board that you and your boyfriend were looking at teaming. I know Estes has a lot more teams then ABF and you could probably get on as a couple. I knew a lady and her and her husband were team drivers there.

I left after 13 years, Seniority is by driver category, which there are 5, when they change operations it can affect you greatly. Alot of it is the terminal your in. It was good for me the first 6 to 7 years then they changed alot, let go of linehaul guys with 10 years being with the company while they kept FLEX drivers that had 6 months, now Utility drivers. It is a place to work, just not as good as it was awhile back. To many changes for me and I found greener grass.

Estes, IMO, is one of the greatest companies to work for.. Far above the others... FedEx, if wouldn't have tried to change so much would be tops.. But the have decided to go another direction..

I left after 13 years, Seniority is by driver category, which there are 5, when they change operations it can affect you greatly. Alot of it is the terminal your in. It was good for me the first 6 to 7 years then they changed alot, let go of linehaul guys with 10 years being with the company while they kept FLEX drivers that had 6 months, now Utility drivers. It is a place to work, just not as good as it was awhile back. To many changes for me and I found greener grass.
I stayed 14 years and retired. But I have been doing the LTL gig for over 22 years and between my IRA and 401K's I retired. The industry as a whole is changing and figured it was time.. I wasn't starting over and that was that.. Estes is one of the best, when it comes to being "green pastures" IMO.. No other pastures I've seen are better, no matter where you are... Some people just get their camel toe in a twist and just can't be satisfied... I since you have regained it?

I would put Estes in the top 5 for LTL,for my needs and requirements.Though some drivers may have other needs and requirements that would object.That is why I find it amusing when drivers from other carriers feel the need to go into a forum,they have never worked for,and bash a company and their workers.Im not speaking of this forum but some of the others are pretty comical to read.Some of these drivers never post on the forums they work at,but know everything about the forums they crash...I guess misery really does enjoy company,lol.

I would put Estes in the top 5 for LTL,for my needs and requirements.Though some drivers may have other needs and requirements that would object.That is why I find it amusing when drivers from other carriers feel the need to go into a forum,they have never worked for,and bash a company and their workers.Im not speaking of this forum but some of the others are pretty comical to read.Some of these drivers never post on the forums they work at,but know everything about the forums they crash...I guess misery really does enjoy company,lol.
Well I guess that just leaves me out, since I work for none on here...LOL.. I'm just an old driver without a place to go...

Well I guess that just leaves me out, since I work for none on here...LOL.. I'm just an old driver without a place to go...
Thats not what I meant.You and other guys that have worked here have a knowledge of how things are,and offer valued opinions.Im referring to true outsiders.

Upgrade from Fox???lmao..Im sure he will make a good "do-boy" for Elway.
If that's the case, then Elway will ruin his reputation in Denver if Kubiak doesn't take them to the SB.... There are no friends in coaching.. Remember, Pat Bolen hired Foxy, Elway just sit in on the meeting...

Never worked for Estes, since theyre technically not up here in the land of the polar bear, but my dad spent some time running for TST. Did some loads in and out of the Columbus terminal periodically, and his experience led me to believe Estes was a decent place. I see the big E running I-75 in Michigan a lot these days. Newer equipment, polite and seemingly content drivers.

Personally, I do see a lot of cross-carrier bashing around here. Hard to say what causes it...most LTL folks I meet on the big roads speak well of their own carrier and actively ask me about FedEx. Some folks are just that way, I suppose.

Never worked for Estes, since theyre technically not up here in the land of the polar bear, but my dad spent some time running for TST. Did some loads in and out of the Columbus terminal periodically, and his experience led me to believe Estes was a decent place. I see the big E running I-75 in Michigan a lot these days. Newer equipment, polite and seemingly content drivers.

Personally, I do see a lot of cross-carrier bashing around here. Hard to say what causes it...most LTL folks I meet on the big roads speak well of their own carrier and actively ask me about FedEx. Some folks are just that way, I suppose.
Has a lot to do with women.. We got'em all... We're real suave over here with the ladies... Get's under their skin that they aren't as handsome and debonair...LOL

I think estes is one of the bottom ltl carriers to work for. I can easily spend over an hour in 028 chitown hooking set for 7.50. at that rate I'm doing estes a favor. The yard is a nightmare and I'm sure estes could care less. Southbend 127 horrible space no room same thing can happen. toledo 092 sit for over an hour waiting for hook zero dollars. indy 093 spend over hour looking for empty 53 no pay. hours upon hours waiting past cut times no pay. hours upon hours waiting in motel no pay. estes terminals in my region are too small and dangerous to work in with little or no pay. dispatchers and sups in my region treat drivers like dirt. the pups and dollys are beat up and falling apart because they get destroyed in small terminals over loaded and falling apart. potholes so big you can fit a truck in it marshall 095 grand rapids 068. 055 west middle do i really even need say anything about that place? you cant hook your own set there but you will anyways cause switchers only do half the job and you wait hours for them to do a bang up cuttin' corners job. when you ask for hook pay for finishing the hook you are treated like a criminal. But i guess it all depends on what your looking for or maybe the region your in. Sounds like other regions may be better.