FedEx Freight | Is Fedex saving that much money on purchase trailers??

I don't think "Express" farms out their light lane shipments, or do they? I seem to remember reading somewhere, an argument that they don't but should. The argument against was along the lines of absolute control of the service product being worth the cost. Different animal, I know. Still part of the equation, though.

I don't think "Express" farms out their light lane shipments, or do they? I seem to remember reading somewhere, an argument that they don't but should. The argument against was along the lines of absolute control of the service product being worth the cost. Different animal, I know. Still part of the equation, though.
Express farms out their light lanes up here, as does UPS. There's a surprising number of local courier services in rural areas that deliver on behalf of FedEx. But FedEx is trying to fill in the gaps where they can.

I would think the opposite, instead of "farming out", they could use the volume generated by their USPS agreement to shore up any light lanes...

We send full, heavy trailers to our Fargo meet every day, they bring us empties every day. That's in addition to the contractors that go to Fargo or direct to Minot, ND. I had to layover last week in Fargo and I pulled 2 empties the 605 miles from FAR -> KCY, cost of doing business. Like has been said before, pulling empties back on lopsided runs is a waste every day.

The oil boom up there is keeping a lot of freight coming in but most of the stuff leaving there is on trains in their oil cars, at least until the pipelines are up and running.

roog

We send full, heavy trailers to our Fargo meet every day, they bring us empties every day. That's in addition to the contractors that go to Fargo or direct to Minot, ND. I had to layover last week in Fargo and I pulled 2 empties the 605 miles from FAR -> KCY, cost of doing business. Like has been said before, pulling empties back on lopsided runs is a waste every day.

The oil boom up there is keeping a lot of freight coming in but most of the stuff leaving there is on trains in their oil cars, at least until the pipelines are up and running.

roog
No different than us....we send a boat load of freight to Florida with very little coming back in comparison to tonnage, and the same goes for the Northeat Region...we get a fraction of the freight back that we send up.
The PT's that we send up to eastern Pa./Conn. deadhead over to Mass. and pull another truckload coming back for a different customer.

roog
Hopefully they can finally get them built!

Once, while I was still at FXFC, I pulled a set from ETO to TOL with nothing on board except a small skid with 4 gallon jugs of adhesive. I laughed when I saw these 4 jugs on a skid strapped in the front corner of my lead pup.

No different than us....we send a boat load of freight to Florida with very little coming back in comparison to tonnage, and the same goes for the Northeat Region...we get a fraction of the freight back that we send up.
The PT's that we send up to eastern Pa./Conn. deadhead over to Mass. and pull another truckload coming back for a different customer.
Maybe for the Florida lane y'all could equip some pups with refer units and pull produce back. That would eliminate those mty miles.

But it gives you such a warm, love my company feeling when they call and tell you your run is cut because there isn't enough freight meeting you so they're going to unload your two pups and call in some more PT.
SURE FEELING THE PURPLE LOVE THOSE DAYS.

Exactly Dick
Many here don't realize how close they really are to the unemployment line. Add a couple of p/ts or rails to a center, and poof! Bye bye purple promise, hello purple boner

Do you guys run your Fl freight thru Jacksonville to rail yard? Just about every other freight carriers do due to FL is a dead end state.

Maybe for the Florida lane y'all could equip some pups with refer units and pull produce back. That would eliminate those mty miles.
Actually an interesting concept. Certainly "outside the box". It could only work in limited lanes, and NOT system wide. Keeping those refer unit pups within the lanes would be problematic, too. Maybe the FedEx "Freight box" concept, modified for refrigerated LTL shipments. Is there enough of a market, to justify the cost and logistics?

Actually an interesting concept. Certainly "outside the box". It could only work in limited lanes, and NOT system wide. Keeping those refer unit pups within the lanes would be problematic, too. Maybe the FedEx "Freight box" concept, modified for refrigerated LTL shipments. Is there enough of a market, to justify the cost and logistics?
Thx for he clarification Swamp, I thought he was talking about the "other" type of refer!!

Agreed...they could treat the refer pups like liftgates and brand them with different numbers that are assigned to specific lanes. Making sure the hostlers/docks keep and load those trailers for those specific lanes would be the biggest challenge IMO...and since just a few drivers would be dispatched with those trailers daily, maintenance "should" be kept to the highest, provided those drivers do the proper pre/post trips.

Thx for he clarification Swamp, I thought he was talking about the "other" type of refer!!

Agreed...they could treat the refer pups like liftgates and brand them with different numbers that are assigned to specific lanes. Making sure the hostlers/docks keep and load those trailers for those specific lanes would be the biggest challenge IMO...and since just a few drivers would be dispatched with those trailers daily, maintenance "should" be kept to the highest, provided those drivers do the proper pre/post trips.
Ok now that we have the ball rolling on getting some refer pups. Here lies the problem they have a double wall with a layer of insulation between them. Has anyone looked at the walls of the trailers we have now. A big percentage of them look like Swiss cheese from all the fork lift pokes. So I guess until we figure it a way to eliminate that problem it's just a fart in the wind idea.

Ok now that we have the ball rolling on getting some refer pups. Here lies the problem they have a double wall with a layer of insulation between them. Has anyone looked at the walls of the trailers we have now. A big percentage of them look like Swiss cheese from all the fork lift pokes. So I guess until we figure it a way to eliminate that problem it's just a fart in the wind idea.
Reefers are built a lot tougher than the plate style dry trailers. And they use spray foam insulation so even if a wall gets stabbed by a forklift it's unlikely to hurt the insulation any.

Reddaway still maintains a fleet of reefer pups that date back to TNT, as far as I know. They're used for loads of wine when backhauls are thin out of California.