FedEx Freight | Is Fedex saving that much money on purchase trailers??

Wasn't a problem in this lane before Excess Capacity Sales was eliminated.

Excess capacity was a joke. They had an account they brought on 20 years years ago to fill empties from Phoenix to LA. Only problem was delivering a set took 8 hours at a grocery warehouse and half the load was refused and had to be shipped back free. We dumped the load in 2 weeks flat.

Excess capacity was a joke. They had an account they brought on 20 years years ago to fill empties from Phoenix to LA. Only problem was delivering a set took 8 hours at a grocery warehouse and half the load was refused and had to be shipped back free. We dumped the load in 2 weeks flat.
And that was the only account?
Jeez, and Mark B said I was myopic.

You are myopic. Everything in your world is "Viking good, fedex evil". Viking did plenty of stupid things. You just refuse to accept that fact.

x7oAohL.jpg

I understand FedEx will be utilizing these type of driver "drones" in the west to eliminate empty trailer miles, by returning just their driver from light outbound areas.

At EFH they load purchase to 40,000. And send us back with empties. Then our daytime meet runs those empties to pick up EFH group freight. When asked why they don't cancel one or two of the purchase trailers to fill our bids, they tell us the purchase trailers are under contract. If they don't cancel them by a certain time FedEx still has to pay them. So FedEx will sign contract with drivers just not their own.

At EFH they load purchase to 40,000. And send us back with empties. Then our daytime meet runs those empties to pick up EFH group freight. When asked why they don't cancel one or two of the purchase trailers to fill our bids, they tell us the purchase trailers are under contract. If they don't cancel them by a certain time FedEx still has to pay them. So FedEx will sign contract with drivers just not their own.

Well I'll be! Ain't that a turd in a basket.

Carriers. They sign contracts with businesses, not people. And those contracts are non-negotiable. FedEx tells you what they need and you sign saying you can do it. If FedEx doesn't cancel a run by a time they determine fair, it goes loaded or not.

And they are not signing contracts with unionized drivers, either. The contract is to the union, not the workforce.

The company saves an enormous amount of money using purchase vs pulling empties down the road and unfortunately they'll always be a need for purchase in the LTL industry. I don't like it any more than the next man but the best way to combat the issue is to pick up more freight in the lanes where purchased is utilized,
That's not completely true. In the northeast they create and imbalance with the rail freight going west and use p/t to bring the freight east totally cutting out our drivers. Another good one the company will tell you they don't put priority freight on the rail.

That's not completely true. In the northeast they create and imbalance with the rail freight going west and use p/t to bring the freight east totally cutting out our drivers. Another good one the company will tell you they don't put priority freight on the rail.
That's not completely true either, they use the rail to bring the back east too...the rail moves both ways. PT's are "supposed" to be use when the imbalance is in one direction but I'm also not naive enough to believe that they don't move PT's in both directions as well.
Again, I'll stand by my original statement that "they'll always be a need for PT's in the LTL industry"...whether we like it or not.

That's not completely true either, they use the rail to bring the back east too...the rail moves both ways. PT's are "supposed" to be use when the imbalance is in one direction but I'm also not naive enough to believe that they don't move PT's in both directions as well.
Again, I'll stand by my original statement that "they'll always be a need for PT's in the LTL industry"...whether we like it or not.
Lmao what!?!?!? You totally missed what I said just so you could feel that your statement was right. Are you management??????? Yes they run priority freight both ways on the rail. But they create most of the imbalance then feed us the bullshit there's a huge imbalance so they need as many pt as they use to avoid using more of our own driver. I see it everyday. No one said we don't need pt but we don't need as many as we have we have pt with steady bids here lol all they are missing is the uniform.

Lmao what!?!?!? You totally missed what I said just so you could feel that your statement was right. Are you management??????? Yes they run priority freight both ways on the rail. But they create most of the imbalance then feed us the :horseshit: there's a huge imbalance so they need as many pt as they use to avoid using more of our own driver. I see it everyday. No one said we don't need pt but we don't need as many as we have we have pt with steady bids here lol all they are missing is the uniform.
If they really wanted to bench their own drivers in favor of contract workers they would have done it ages ago. Red's right, in his own way. Most LTL carriers use purchase and rail. The few that don't have other solutions to the freight imbalance problem.

It sucks, and the companies aren't afraid to lie about it either. But there's also nothing anyone can do about it.

Lmao what!?!?!? You totally missed what I said just so you could feel that your statement was right. Are you management??????? Yes they run priority freight both ways on the rail. But they create most of the imbalance then feed us the :horseshit: there's a huge imbalance so they need as many pt as they use to avoid using more of our own driver. I see it everyday. No one said we don't need pt but we don't need as many as we have we have pt with steady bids here lol all they are missing is the uniform.
Oh my goodness Sherlock, you just cracked the case wide open!!! It IS the company's intentions to run as much freight on the rail and PT's as possible so their company guys in the northeast can sit at home and not get paid while saving the company millions of dollars!!!

Did you not read what you originally posted??
... In the northeast they create and imbalance with the rail freight going west and use p/t to bring the freight east totally cutting out our drivers...
I just pointed out that's not completely true, they move freight on the rail both ways and they're "supposed" to use PT when there's an imbalance one way. Also, I never claimed they didn't move priority that way....no reason to get your panties in a wad!!
IMO, the imbalance is created when one side picks up more freight than the other...if you don't want an imbalance, focus on either your side or the other side picking up more freight!!

Ok
If they really wanted to bench their own drivers in favor of contract workers they would have done it ages ago. Red's right, in his own way. Most LTL carriers use purchase and rail. The few that don't have other solutions to the freight imbalance problem.

It sucks, and the companies aren't afraid to lie about it either. But there's also nothing anyone can do about it.
let me simplify this for you. They are benching our drivers they run freight west on the rail and send freight east on pt so we agree that there is freigh going both ways??

It sucks, and the companies aren't afraid to lie about it either. But there's also nothing anyone can do about it.[/
I just got done saying that there isn't an imbalance of freight coming out of the northeast. The whole rail west pt east comment and benching our driver is exactly what is going on. Why is our tonage way up but not adding any runs?

Oh my goodness Sherlock, you just cracked the case wide open!!! It IS the company's intentions to run as much freight on the rail and PT's as possible so their company guys in the northeast can sit at home and not get paid while saving the company millions of dollars!!!

I just pointed out that's not completely true, they move freight on the rail both ways and they're "supposed" to use PT when there's an imbalance one way. Also, I never claimed they didn't move priority that way....no reason to get your panties in a wad!!
IMO, the imbalance is created when one side picks up more freight than the other...if you don't want an imbalance, focus on either your side or the other side picking up more freight!!
If you re

ok you just said they move freight both ways on rail and pt and that is ok?? I told you about the company completely going around terminals rail west pt east. The company is like a broken record talking about the imbalance there isn't one like they say. We had a meeting about rails and pt the guy talking to us swore that priority freight doesn't go on the rail. Why lie? We will see what the future holds at my terminal we're adding about 10 pts a year. Our one run we are matched 5 bids 5 pts. But yeah get out there and pick up more freight lol good answer

If you re

ok you just said they move freight both ways on rail and pt and that is ok?? I told you about the company completely going around terminals rail west pt east. The company is like a broken record talking about the imbalance there isn't one like they say. We had a meeting about rails and pt the guy talking to us swore that priority freight doesn't go on the rail. Why lie? We will see what the future holds at my terminal we're adding about 10 pts a year. Our one run we are matched 5 bids 5 pts. But yeah get out there and pick up more freight lol good answer
We move primarily economy freight on rail for a reason...we are a regional, scheduled, LTL carrier, we're NOT a long haul LTL carrier like YRC, Watkins (was), OD, etc..., it's cheaper for us to move economy freight across the country (long haul) on the rail and that's why economy freight has a two week delivery window...it's not rocket science.
As for PT, again, they're "supposed" to use PT when there's an imbalance in a lane...freight going one way, empties coming back...does it always happen, no. There are multiple reasons of why it doesn't happen but they'll always be a need for PT's in the LTL industry.

We move primarily economy freight on rail for a reason...we are a regional, scheduled, LTL carrier, we're NOT a long haul LTL carrier like YRC, Watkins (was), OD, etc..., it's cheaper for us to move economy freight across the country (long haul) on the rail and that's why economy freight has a two week delivery window...it's not rocket science.
As for PT, again, they're "supposed" to use PT when there's an imbalance in a lane...freight going one way, empties coming back...does it always happen, no. There are multiple reasons of why it doesn't happen but they'll always be a need for PT's in the LTL industry.
You don't go to the rail often do you? Majority of the ones I pick up are priority. They are supposed to do a lot of things but there's is no accountability. But still you don't seem to get the point of them creating the imbalance you keep repeating yourself about the pt I get how the pts work and the rails but they aren't sending the freight across country only about half way. Your points are invalid to the situations I'm bringing up. I appreciate the input though.