Yellow | IS FREIGHT SLOW?

In this deregulated environment where price/cost is most often the determining factor, there is not enough pie to share.

Cross country shipping is outdated and inefficient. Regional, if not local acquisition of goods is much more responsible. In the case of certain products, there are exceptions.

Making transportation costs cheap leads to greater costs for infrastructure development and maintenance. Local businesses would increase and allow better service if transportation costs were ‘full’ tariff.

To provide perspective, the cost to send a half ounce letter via pony express in 1861 was $1.
I didn’t know you used to deliver mail ??

Problem is you will never see what you want to see. YRC can not afford to pay full rate along with the union benefits and be competitive with the other carriers. I'm not trying to be a gerk I'm just being honest. Look back at all the good union companys that have went out of business, all were for the same reason. The giveback will never be given back to the members without giving something else up. Strike or not . There are not enough members contributing to have the kind of bargaining power you need. Times have changed, you need to stop operating like a union carrier if you want to survive.

If opinions such as this cannot be framed in the context of current conditions, of both record low unemployment, and an extremely competitive driver-hiring market, then I think we can safely disregard them as either wishful thinking ,or propaganda designed to promote a particular agenda. As you said, times have changed.

They’ll give you back your 15%.Youll start right back we’re you left off 10 years ago.
That. Is most likely true.
But they could give us a 10$ an hour raise and it won't help now.
Too late for the older guys that has 20 plus years of senority when we merged and are on their way out now.
But that does not mean I will vote to give in to the minimum of what they will and are going to ask for obviously.
With what has happened with contracts that have just come up you (we) should be able to read the writing on the wall.
I will vote. But for the future of my brothers and sisters that will be there long after I leave and after that. Not myself. Because this contract will not benefit me. I've already sacrificed 10 years of my time without striking.
I'm old school. We are dying out. They know it.
But actions. (voting) Speaks louder than words.

Last edited:
That. Is most likely true.
But they could give us a 10$ an hour raise and it won't help now.
Too late for the older guys that has 20 plus years of senority when we merged and are on their way out now.
But that does not mean I will vote to give in to the minimum of what they will and are going to ask for obviously.
With what has happened with contracts that have just come up you (we) should be able to read the writing on the wall.
I will vote. But for the future of my brothers and sisters that will be there long after I leave and after that. Not myself. Because this contract will not benefit me. I've already sacrificed 10 years of my time without striking.
I'm old school. We are dying out. They know it.
But actions. (voting) Speaks louder than words.
:6788::smiliewhs:

Problem is you will never see what you want to see. YRC can not afford to pay full rate along with the union benefits and be competitive with the other carriers. I'm not trying to be a gerk I'm just being honest. Look back at all the good union companys that have went out of business, all were for the same reason. The giveback will never be given back to the members without giving something else up. Strike or not . There are not enough members contributing to have the kind of bargaining power you need. Times have changed, you need to stop operating like a union carrier if you want to survive.
https://www.rothschildandco.com/en/asset-management/active-management-expertise/
They even see the writing on the wall... scroll down to "keep on truckin" article then download pdf ... we are at an advantage here

63 000 driver openings. Nobody wants to do the grunt work. That includes the dock work involved behind the scenes.
I would advise if asked. To stay away. It's not that great of a job. Just read all the remarks in the forums. No. I did not say complaining Remarks.
Premium job has turned into less than appreciated job. I cannot wait (have to but soon) wait to retire on the pittance I'm gonna get. But I realize I can live happily on a pittance. And have for awhile anyway. Besides. I get my sanity back after I leave.
Cause right now I'm insane!
Lol.
:17142::17142::17142:
:1036316054:

That sums it up. They can't hire anyone because they don't pay enough. I wonder how they could fix that? Maybe hire more retirement age workers already drawing social security and retirement? That might work. I'm sure they would all be YES voters come contract time as they have no sense of brotherhood anymore and only look out for themselves.

I be turning 63 right B4 contract w 31 years in.
I believe it's time to move on after receiving the BIG screwing for the past 10 years.
I grossed more in 2008 then I have this past year working MORE overtime!

I be turning 63 right B4 contract w 31 years in.
I believe it's time to move on after receiving the BIG screwing for the past 10 years.
I grossed more in 2008 then I have this past year working MORE overtime!
I'm right there with you brother.
It's time we move on with this part of our lives and leave all this behind.
I'm looking forward to it. Moving on with my life. Another chapter.
Been on this chapter way too long.
Good luck!