is frito-lay a good job?

Met a couple guys who run out of Topeka. Year ago a Frito Lay driver moved into my apartment complex, had got transfer up from Joplin, had a daughter, senior, would decide what to do after graduation. I purchased a place and lost touch. Just wondered about constant Bill Boards and radio ads. Driver wasn't thrilled about transfer, yet liked Frito Lay. Others I have met seem happy. Just curious, does Frito Lay just want a large go to pool of applicants, turn over high, or constant growth. Been in Topeka 3 years, never met a Frito Lay driver unhappy, except usual driver gripes we all have.

Instead of having DC's where sales people run out of we have made them PEC's.
What that means is all product in the GES world is straight from the plant everyday.
No more "back stock" at all these DC's. As far as stores we do more direct to stores "product on carts"
To answer your question they have changed how they ship their chips.
Also turn over .. Retirements , people getting fired. Then some walk away

It's a physical job. Lots of hard work. That scares a few away also.

Hope that helps.
And growth. So everything you said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt, Thanks. Just was curious. All I could tell was Frito Lay was a good outfit, yet constant advertising for drivers made me wonder.

It's not a job for everyone for sure. And they have kinda high standards. Really it's a pain in the arse to get on.

There's not that much turn over at our yard. With the whole GES thing coming in to play they are looking to hire about 30 more drivers by December. I bidded on the "extra/vacation" spot for GES so I'll be filling in for drivers who call in or on vaca. And also doing whatever they need me to do. Mostly do GES (store deliveries and pec) but still do my share of OTR work so I get a good mix of both being an "extra ". They sure are keeping me busy though. 5 and 6 days a week. Haven't seen a check under 1300$ a week gross yet . I think this was the best decision I've made joining Frito lay.

Good deal. There a few nit pick BS things but for the most part we get treated fair.
Glad it's working out for you !

There's not that much turn over at our yard. With the whole GES thing coming in to play they are looking to hire about 30 more drivers by December. I bidded on the "extra/vacation" spot for GES so I'll be filling in for drivers who call in or on vaca. And also doing whatever they need me to do. Mostly do GES (store deliveries and pec) but still do my share of OTR work so I get a good mix of both being an "extra ". They sure are keeping me busy though. 5 and 6 days a week. Haven't seen a check under 1300$ a week gross yet . I think this was the best decision I've made joining Frito lay.
wow 1300 a week that's like old Dugan money huh matt....to bad this isn't still 1996?

My lowest check was around 1350 and keep in mind in only at 85% pay. Won't reach full pay for a couple months.

Its Ok I got him figured out he's just pulling my chain :smilies-19296::Poke::busted::Duel:

Currently sitting at the hotel on my 10 hour break. In the middle of a 600+ mile GES run. Dispatched yesterday at noon did 8 stores and dropped the trailer off at the PEC here. Made it to the hotel with 30 minutes left.. another driver brought out my second trailer this morning and it's waiting for me at the PEC. 59' E-van to unload here. Then head back to the plant 300 miles away! That's great money at 7 cents a case 2200 cases on that baby. I'm fine with it because I need a good workout anyway. These store deliveries have me spoiled now.

Yeah we do a lot of 2nd day relay loads. I can't remember what traffic center your out of Rut but I'm glad your liking it.

Currently sitting at the hotel on my 10 hour break. In the middle of a 600+ mile GES run. Dispatched yesterday at noon did 8 stores and dropped the trailer off at the PEC here. Made it to the hotel with 30 minutes left.. another driver brought out my second trailer this morning and it's waiting for me at the PEC. 59' E-van to unload here. Then head back to the plant 300 miles away! That's great money at 7 cents a case 2200 cases on that baby. I'm fine with it because I need a good workout anyway. These store deliveries have me spoiled now.
I have a question j-rut how long does it take you too unload a 59 foot e-van?

That depends on if you're checking all or most of the labels. You learn real fast to just count the cases. If you're checking each case against the load sheet, it takes forever. I unloaded at a bin with a hand truck and it took me just over 6 hrs. That was a lot of walking. Some bins are set up easier than others. Also some bins are unloaded on the flats using palet jack. The key is you can't check labels except near beginning/end of order.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forum Runner

6 hours that's any kind of weather hot cold makes no difference I suppose up and down a ramp to, like the man said I guise he's gonna get o work out. Two or three of those a week every week?huh, think I would just rather ride my horse for a little work out.but you do what you gotta do.

That depends on if you're checking all or most of the labels. You learn real fast to just count the cases. If you're checking each case against the load sheet, it takes forever. I unloaded at a bin with a hand truck and it took me just over 6 hrs. That was a lot of walking. Some bins are set up easier than others. Also some bins are unloaded on the flats using palet jack. The key is you can't check labels except near beginning/end of order.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forum Runner

As with most jobs, the longer you are there the quicker you will get. In Lousville we had pre-checked loads, wink wink. However I always checked the first row to make sure it was the correct trailer, since the wrong trailers were loaded on occasion. The job wasn't for everyone, but at 700-900 cases an hour at .08 cents per case I.E. $56-$72 per hour to unload, I didn't mind a couple hours a day of paid exercise! In my early days of checking every single case, I asked a senior driver who was getting ready to unload near me if he was checking his load, he opened the doors and looked inside and said "yep it looks like it is all there"! From that day forward my hourly rate was much higher!

Some places are 400 cases an hour. Others are 900 cases an hour. Depends on the site / mood / rest / soreness. Weather also has a play in that

At the biggest PEC's it takes me 5 hours to unload and that's with a lot of walking. Bins take me a lot longer for some reason..took me 8 hours one time. But I was looking at all the labels and counting cases. Rookie stuff

Yeah counting cases is what the rookies do. I see what the last and first of the next order is and call it good. We have a lot more PEC than anywhere though