ABF | Is Implementation on its Way?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
Wow, I don't know what to say. I guess it is true, it's pointless to mud wrestle with a pig, you'll wear yourself out only to realize the pig is having fun. All I've heard on here is name calling, snide remarks about other people not even involved in this argument, and now you gotta go personal and claim I'm not good enough? Yes I applied at YRC, and guess why I didn't get hired... Their freight levels dropped off while my background check was being done and the linehaul supervisor was going to have to go back and lay off drivers who hadn't even been there a month. Told me he wanted to hire me but didn't think it fair to pull me away from my previous employer and my benefits to be laid off.

I get so tired of hearing that old line "you be thankful for us teamsters, if not for us you'd make $3/hour and be forced to work 900 hours a week". Exaggeration sure, but you get my drift. I'd like to see a show of hands out there who stood with Hoffa sr in the '60s. I would like to shake your hand because if you're still pushing a truck up and down the road I'd truly be impressed. The first generation teamsters made it better for all of us, yes even youz guyz pissing and moaning about every single little thing, looking down your noses from your lofty perches on high, kings of the freight world! I have news for every single one of you, it's not 1972 anymore. If the union lines went under, and from the financials I see, that may still be in question, youz guyz really think every non out there would slash our wages? No way! There would be such an outcry from so many people that the media couldn't ignore that. It'd be all over the news and I betcha there would be a mass exodus from the industry, like rapidly. They can't do without all of us, especially all at once. Believe it or not there are corporations that do believed in taking care of the people that take care of their customers. Have you ever stopped to think that the reason why there's such animosity and mistrust between management and the rank and file just might be that they have to listen to youz guyz whine and cry every day? I know I'm not going to change a single mind on here, but if all you've got is what I've seen posted from some of the folks on here, your mothers ought to be ashamed. I'm sure they feel they raised their kids better than that.

I'll raise my hand

What about those Teamsters that go to the OD board with an ax to grind?

Hell what about those Teamsters that went to work for OD and are loving it there,

Ok ok, there's two more questions you'll dodge.[/QUOTE ] Your questions are dumb bet here it goes.... Don't know who goes on the OD board with an axe to grind , nor do I car ... As furor the former teamsters that drive for them that's great ..... And you asked how think your not union , maybe posts like that defending other company's ..... Bottom line is your just a loud mouth jerk off that loves to argue because your wife wears the pants in your house hold.... Now get off that stupid computer & get those dishes done......

Your questions are dumb bet here it goes.... Don't know who goes on the OD board with an axe to grind , nor do I car ... As furor the former teamsters that drive for them that's great ..... And you asked how think your not union , maybe posts like that defending other company's ..... Bottom line is your just a loud mouth jerk off that loves to argue because your wife wears the pants in your house hold.... Now get off that stupid computer & get those dishes done......

LOL!

I didn't say I didn't think I was not-union. You made the claim that I was anti-union, I simply asked what made me anti-union?

So because I refuse to bash a non-union outfit that makes me anti-union?
So to be pro-union I have to act like a child and bash non-union outfits? Hmmm.
I thought I was just being respectful to other companies.

Loud mouth jerk? Why because I dare to ask questions?

Of course you don't know of any Teamsters that go on other boards because you refuse to leave the safety of the ABF board.
As I have shown you don't like to be challenged on your opinions and views.

LOL!

I didn't say I didn't think I was not-union. You made the claim that I was anti-union, I simply asked what made me anti-union?

So because I refuse to bash a non-union outfit that makes me anti-union?
So to be pro-union I have to act like a child and bash non-union outfits? Hmmm.
I thought I was just being respectful to other companies.

Loud mouth jerk? Why because I dare to ask questions?

Of course you don't know of any Teamsters that go on other boards because you refuse to leave the safety of the ABF board.
As I have shown you don't like to be challenged on your opinions and views.
Love to stay & argue but I have to go to work & make it happen......

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you in a timely manner, I ran 627 miles last night and texting while driving is illegal. To answer your question, I don't know what goes on anywhere else just like you don't know what's going on at my barn. All I can attest to is what I see first hand every time I go to work, and there's a lot of grey hair around my yard. That tells me one of two things, either we've got a whole lot of suck asses in the ATL that know how to keep the boss happy and avoid the chopping block or the claims you made about "economic firings" might be just a little overplayed. Come to think of it, every yard I go to in the system seem to be a lot like mine, so you be the judge.

Okay thanks for the reply. Claims no, questions yes. If as you say OD doesn't or didn't RIF by economic termination at your barn that still doesn't dispute that the practice does or did exist within the company. Like maybe at the Edison NJ terminal off Talmadge Rd. Or just maybe the OD driver was lying

That's how these guys operate. If they don't like your opinion, then you must be a manager or a troll. Abf bleeding at the wrist but everyone on this board knows the financials and could start their own Ltl buisness Tommorow

Your soo full of crap. Show me how they are bleeding at the wrist!!! You claim you been here for a few weeks and all of a sudden you know everything about the company and the Teamster Union... You don't know nothing... You should stay at Conway, because you sure don't know anything... and you sure haven't contributed 1 damm thing here on this board. You are just a troll, and that's you will ever be...

Wow, I don't know what to say. I guess it is true, it's pointless to mud wrestle with a pig, you'll wear yourself out only to realize the pig is having fun. All I've heard on here is name calling, snide remarks about other people not even involved in this argument, and now you gotta go personal and claim I'm not good enough? Yes I applied at YRC, and guess why I didn't get hired... Their freight levels dropped off while my background check was being done and the linehaul supervisor was going to have to go back and lay off drivers who hadn't even been there a month. Told me he wanted to hire me but didn't think it fair to pull me away from my previous employer and my benefits to be laid off.

I get so tired of hearing that old line "you be thankful for us teamsters, if not for us you'd make $3/hour and be forced to work 900 hours a week". Exaggeration sure, but you get my drift. I'd like to see a show of hands out there who stood with Hoffa sr in the '60s. I would like to shake your hand because if you're still pushing a truck up and down the road I'd truly be impressed. The first generation teamsters made it better for all of us, yes even youz guyz pissing and moaning about every single little thing, looking down your noses from your lofty perches on high, kings of the freight world! I have news for every single one of you, it's not 1972 anymore. If the union lines went under, and from the financials I see, that may still be in question, youz guyz really think every non out there would slash our wages? No way! There would be such an outcry from so many people that the media couldn't ignore that. It'd be all over the news and I betcha there would be a mass exodus from the industry, like rapidly. They can't do without all of us, especially all at once. Believe it or not there are corporations that do believed in taking care of the people that take care of their customers. Have you ever stopped to think that the reason why there's such animosity and mistrust between management and the rank and file just might be that they have to listen to youz guyz whine and cry every day? I know I'm not going to change a single mind on here, but if all you've got is what I've seen posted from some of the folks on here, your mothers ought to be ashamed. I'm sure they feel they raised their kids better than that.

If the union freight companies all went out of business, then you can bet that over time, pay and benefits at all the non-union lines would go down. The LTL companies are always trying to under bid each other to pick up new business. What better way to do this than to offer a better price by cutting the wages/benefits of their employees. Afterall, if there were no union lines left to set the bar by, then there would be no need to continue paying a premium wage/benefit to keep the employees from jumping ship to a better paying union job. Here in the south, I can remember when Kroger and Harvest Foods ruled the grocery world. Both companies were union and had premium pay and benefits. Most people that were lucky enough to get a job with them usually stayed until they retired. Along comes Wal-Mart that used to be a mass merchandise chain. They decide to get into the grocery business with their Super Centers and Sam's Clubs. Now, Harvest Foods and Krogers employees are paid much less than they were back then with fewer benefits if you look at it from a cost of living stand point. My point to all of this is that the only way Kroger or Harvest Foods could stay competitive and in business was to pay a lower wage and benefits package to compete with Wal Mart which payed much less. If you can tell me any industries that were once mostly union that are now dominated by mostly non-union companies that are still paying premium pay and benefits as compared to what they used to make (cost of living wise), I would sure like to know about it. It certainly isn't the steel, grocery, or the freight industry. So, if you think that your pay and benefits would not be on the chopping block for your company to remain competitive then you are sadly mistaken. Let's say that this did happen and as you stated there would be mass exodus from the freight industry. Don't you think that most of the LTL employees would then be interested in forming a union for better working conditions, pay and benefits? Isn't that what started the ball rolling many years ago when all these freight companies started organizing and eventually started the National Master Freight Agreement? Red Spotter is absolutely correct in stating that your pay and benefits package will not compare with ours, but most of the non-union carriers will keep it fairly close to the union standard just to keep their employees from jumping ship or organizing. One more thing to remember also, here at ABF we have a contract that clearly spells out what the employer can and cannot do. If you are suspended or fired you have union representation to defend your case. Where you work you are at the company's mercy. Anyone, including even the best employee's can make a simple mistake from time to time. Where I work, it may or may not cost me some time off depending on the out come of my grievance. Where you work it could very well cost you your job. If you are on this forum because you are wanting information about organizing then I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Yes i do agree u have excellent insurance, ups freight teamsters pay 34 bux a week for insurance, 25 copays, and scripts vary from 2 bux to 15 bux, depending on what it is, but if ur meds dont have a generic brand, get ready to pay around 50 bux or more.
Yea buddy, Hoffa and crew sold you guys out over there. I am disgusted for what they did to get your dues money...and ours.

Okay thanks for the reply. Claims no, questions yes. If as you say OD doesn't or didn't RIF by economic termination at your barn that still doesn't dispute that the practice does or did exist within the company. Like maybe at the Edison NJ terminal off Talmadge Rd. Or just maybe the OD driver was lying

Like I said, I don't know. I haven't been to New Jersey with OD, and I'm fine with that. If it did/does happen it's not a common practice company-wide so I can't really make a big deal out of it. And experience tells me if someone got fired, they don't usually tell all the story. Of course they're gonna paint the company out to be the bad guy.

Your soo full of crap. Show me how they are bleeding at the wrist!!! You claim you been here for a few weeks and all of a sudden you know everything about the company and the Teamster Union... You don't know nothing... You should stay at Conway, because you sure don't know anything... and you sure haven't contributed 1 damm thing here on this board. You are just a troll, and that's you will ever be...

How f'n blind do you have to be, look at their damn p&l sheet for the last, oh I don't know 5 YEARS and tell me what you see! A lot of red ink. Which means they are bleeding to death, and from several thousand cuts from the look.

How f'n blind do you have to be, look at their damn p&l sheet for the last, oh I don't know 5 YEARS and tell me what you see! A lot of red ink. Which means they are bleeding to death, and from several thousand cuts from the look.

I don't wanna see you get banned, careful with bypassing the profanity filters. Jeff has issued a warning about that.

What does this post have to do with you? Do you believe everything you read? You work for the greatest trucking company on earth, so why don't yall head back over to the od board so you can give each other high fives & ass slaps for operating at an 84..... hee haw bukaroo

But you guys are wasting your time arguing with him (them). Deep down inside they know that what you all are telling them is true they just don't want to admit it to you. Come on, it's just common sense. If you all ignored them they would burn themselves out here and go back under their rocks at ConMan and Old Dominican.

These guys don't know what kind of competition the union lines are up against. They're only response is yrc and abf is lying. It'll never be good enough. Got my family making picket signs this weekend for our terminal. See ya next week at the gate. Well show abf the teamsters run the show with our extensive knowledge

If the union freight companies all went out of business, then you can bet that over time, pay and benefits at all the non-union lines would go down. The LTL companies are always trying to under bid each other to pick up new business. What better way to do this than to offer a better price by cutting the wages/benefits of their employees. Afterall, if there were no union lines left to set the bar by, then there would be no need to continue paying a premium wage/benefit to keep the employees from jumping ship to a better paying union job. Here in the south, I can remember when Kroger and Harvest Foods ruled the grocery world. Both companies were union and had premium pay and benefits. Most people that were lucky enough to get a job with them usually stayed until they retired. Along comes Wal-Mart that used to be a mass merchandise chain. They decide to get into the grocery business with their Super Centers and Sam's Clubs. Now, Harvest Foods and Krogers employees are paid much less than they were back then with fewer benefits if you look at it from a cost of living stand point. My point to all of this is that the only way Kroger or Harvest Foods could stay competitive and in business was to pay a lower wage and benefits package to compete with Wal Mart which payed much less. If you can tell me any industries that were once mostly union that are now dominated by mostly non-union companies that are still paying premium pay and benefits as compared to what they used to make (cost of living wise), I would sure like to know about it. It certainly isn't the steel, grocery, or the freight industry. So, if you think that your pay and benefits would not be on the chopping block for your company to remain competitive then you are sadly mistaken. Let's say that this did happen and as you stated there would be mass exodus from the freight industry. Don't you think that most of the LTL employees would then be interested in forming a union for better working conditions, pay and benefits? Isn't that what started the ball rolling many years ago when all these freight companies started organizing and eventually started the National Master Freight Agreement? Red Spotter is absolutely correct in stating that your pay and benefits package will not compare with ours, but most of the non-union carriers will keep it fairly close to the union standard just to keep their employees from jumping ship or organizing. One more thing to remember also, here at ABF we have a contract that clearly spells out what the employer can and cannot do. If you are suspended or fired you have union representation to defend your case. Where you work you are at the company's mercy. Anyone, including even the best employee's can make a simple mistake from time to time. Where I work, it may or may not cost me some time off depending on the out come of my grievance. Where you work it could very well cost you your job. If you are on this forum because you are wanting information about organizing then I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Thanks for keeping your post professional. I'm not looking for information on organization, I was reading for fun and got drew on by a completely outrageous post and couldn't keep my mouth shut.

Labor unions have definitely had their place in history. In a free market system wages as well as prices for goods and services are based on the market. The market will bear the highest costs and wages possible. I worked at Con-way. Didn't like their wages/treatment, so I moved on. If this industry is a great big house of cards, why have wages/benefits increased as the number of union lines in the industry have decreased? We can't all go work for Bullfrog, YRC or UPSF, so why would they keep wages high in fear we'd take union jobs? As far as the grocery business, I worked in it... In high school. Didn't see anything other than managing a store that requires more than a minimal education. Which doesn't deserve a big paycheck. And the funny thing was I was part of a grocers union. Had to join because I didn't live in a right to work state growing up. You know who owned the union? The grocery chain I worked for. We weren't allowed to strike for any reason. The union was a sham that the company used to take money from its employees and there was no benefit to being in it. The steel industry, steel production has moved out of this country and so wages have gone down to make us steel companies more competitive with China. See that's the thing, companies must be able to react to market conditions or they drown. Sure ABF and all the union lines used to make money even with structured inefficiencies in their system. Times have changed, and now the union is forcing the companies to try to operate as if times haven't changed. Times won't ever be like they were, deregulation has affected the industry as a whole and since deregulation has been the death of many a union line. Ownership of the route wasn't required, so competition moves in and an oversaturated market ensues. Bang, smaller line goes out or sells to a bigger line.

If I screw up bad enough, I deserve to lose my job. What I'm hearing is that it's ok to protect the slacker, the accident-prone, etc to protect my own skin. I feel that if I work hard, don't hit stuff with the truck, and do what I can as an employee to do the right thing, I won't need someone to protect my job. Of course there are exceptions to the rule with a bad manager. Given that situation I'm better off to leave anyway, I don't want to work in a toxic situation where they have to keep me just because they can't fire me.

Again, thank you for your professional post, I hope I've responded in kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does this post have to do with you? Do you believe everything you read? You work for the greatest trucking company on earth, so why don't yall head back over to the od board so you can give each other high fives & ass slaps for operating at an 84..... hee haw bukaroo

You know, I could sink to your level and name call and act like a child but I'm not going to. Your lack of professionalism and decorum on here is a little disapponting.

Yes I believe what I read, those financial reports are filed with the SEC (do you know what the SEC is?) as well as the general public. The company lies, they're in trouble, and with an agency that can really **** them up. I bet you think it's all just a big conspiracy, ABF made a trillion dollars last quarter and don't want to share, so they cooked up a false set of books showing a loss to screw you personally. Judy McReynolds doesn't know you, she's not trying to screw you. She's trying to keep a company afloat in a highly competitive market.

You know, I could sink to your level and name call and act like a child but I'm not going to. Your lack of professionalism and decorum on here is a little disapponting.

Yes I believe what I read, those financial reports are filed with the SEC (do you know what the SEC is?) as well as the general public. The company lies, they're in trouble, and with an agency that can really **** them up. I bet you think it's all just a big conspiracy, ABF made a trillion dollars last quarter and don't want to share, so they cooked up a false set of books showing a loss to screw you personally. Judy McReynolds doesn't know you, she's not trying to screw you. She's trying to keep a company afloat in a highly competitive market.
post#231 very professional, if you take the time to look over another company's sec report you either not who you say you are, have way to much time on your hands or there are no females in Georgia ...... You & I have no clue what get funneled into abc corp. but what my supervisor tells us it's a lot more than you think. One example I will give you is upacks the money use to go to ABF it now goes to abc & that is big bucks right there......

post#231 very professional, if you take the time to look over another company's sec report you either not who you say you are, have way to much time on your hands or there are no females in Georgia ...... You & I have no clue what get funneled into abc corp. but what my supervisor tells us it's a lot more than you think. One example I will give you is upacks the money use to go to ABF it now goes to abc & that is big bucks right there......

Yeah I'll put my post 231 up against anything you've said on here. At least I'm not calling him names. And your grammar is impressive, by the way. Good job.

I've never said that I've looked at their sec file, I said that the quarterly p&l gets filed with the sec. That's an easy read. And yes I like to know what all the freight lines are doing, it's interesting. And I'm very impressed that you carry on a conversation with a manager. That's impressive because I know they're just a bunch of lying theiving bastards that hate all the divers.

I don't know, it seems to me it would be hard to file the work one part of the corporation did not directly under their area in the corp in revenue. How does abc explain that revenue then? It didn't fall out of the sky into their laps, has to come from somewhere, and believe me Uncle Sam wants to know where so he can get his pound of flesh out of it.

Thanks for keeping your post professional. I'm not looking for information on organization, I was reading for fun and got drew on by a completely outrageous post and couldn't keep my mouth shut.

Labor unions have definitely had their place in history. In a free market system wages as well as prices for goods and services are based on the market. The market will bear the highest costs and wages possible. I worked at Con-way. Didn't like their wages/treatment, so I moved on. If this industry is a great big house of cards, why have wages/benefits increased as the number of union lines in the industry have decreased? We can't all go work for Bullfrog, YRC or UPSF, so why would they keep wages high in fear we'd take union jobs? As far as the grocery business, I worked in it... In high school. Didn't see anything other than managing a school that requires more than a minimal education. Which doesn't deserve a big paycheck. And the funny thing was I was part of a grocers union. Had to join because I didn't live in a right to work state growing up. You know who owned the union? The grocery chain I worked for. We weren't allowed to strike for any reason. The union was a sham that the company used to take money from its employees and there was no benefit to being in it. The steel industry, steel production has moved out of this country and so wages have gone down to make us steel companies more competitive with China. See that's the thing, companies must be able to react to market conditions or they drown. Sure ABF and all the union lines used to make money even with structured inefficiencies in their system. Times have changed, and now the union is forcing the companies to try to operate as if times haven't changed. Times won't ever be like they were, deregulation has affected the industry as a whole and since deregulation has been the death of many a union line. Ownership of the route wasn't required, so competition moves in and an oversaturated market ensues. Bang, smaller line goes out or sells to a bigger line.

If I screw up bad enough, I deserve to lose my job. What I'm hearing is that it's ok to protect the slacker, the accident-prone, etc to protect my own skin. I feel that if I work hard, don't hit stuff with the truck, and do what I can as an employee to do the right thing, I won't need someone to protect my job. Of course there are exceptions to the rule with a bad manager. Given that situation I'm better off to leave anyway, I don't want to work in a toxic situation where they have to keep me just because they can't fire me.

Again, thank you for your professional post, I hope I've responded in kind.

There may be some cases where a "slacker" might have his job saved, but the terminal I work at I have not seen this done because all my brothers and sisters do a good job. If ABF employees were "slackers", then the company would have gone out of business long ago with our premium pay and benefits. I am not trying to rub the pay/benefits thing in your face, I am just stating facts. I have seen an employee get fired for supposedly making threatening comments in front of another employee. The union was able to save this man's job because there were no other witnesses so it was his word against the other employee's word. I personally knew the guy and he was a very hard worker. I don't think he made the statements that the accuser said he did, but I was not there to verify this for sure. If someone were to accuse you of making threatening statements at O.D., what would be the company's stance on this? If you were to have a traffic accident in your truck, how would O.D. handle this? In most cases, the union would be able to keep the employee working or get them back to work as soon as the investigation is done because afterall, it is an accident and was not purposely done. Therefore, IMHO the employee should get another chance. As I stated before, we all make mistakes from time to time. And, as you stated already, there is the "bad manager" thing as well. But, with union representation he cannot single out or fire at will. That is why I prefer to work union over non-union. If I am facing disciplinary action, I have a witness present in my corner to help defend me. It would be like having a lawyer in court to represent your case as opposed to representing yourself in court. The Teamsters Union is not perfect, but in my opinion it is much better than the alternative. I also want to Thank You for having a civil conversation.