ABF | Is Implementation on its Way?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
Just at our Local Union meeting yesterday,...we have a big UPS presence here,...and the fear is that the IBT will simply implement the supplements that were voted down, without altering or even re-voting the supplement. We're all learning a big lesson here. The IBT is acting like an autonomous dictatorial entity, with no input from the rank-and-file.......the very antithesis of a Labor organization. They are grabbing power that any moral-based organization wouldn't dream of grabbing,....the right to unilaterally impose an unpopular Labor agreement without following NLRB guidelines, and without the voting consent of the membership. That would be how the non-Union company management would impose a wage and benefit package. The IBT "leadership" have proved themselves to be as disdainful of the rank-and-file as the worst ratball non-Union company out there. If the IBT unfairly ignores the guidelines set by Labor law, and unfairly imposes any agreement on any group they so-called "represent", I would hope that the affected affiliated Locals would file an injunction in court to halt implementation, and have the NLRB conduct a FAIR and IMPARTIAL re-vote of any agreement in question,....without subtle threats, lies, and rumors from EITHER the IBT or the company. A petition to remove the negotiating teams by a vote of "No Confidence" should be conducted, too. If ABF will have a "stand alone" contract, then ABF employees,....who have to live under the provisions of the contract they negotiate,....should be on the negotiating team. Same with UPSF, UPS, and YRC. The so-called "professional negotiators" provided by the IBT have fallen flat on their collective faces in every single one of the major contracts under the auspices of the Teamsters. The Teamsters leadership are now the laughingstock of organized Labor worldwide. It seems the SEIU has no problem putting their members on strike in San Francisco,...if only our current "leadership" had the same kind of spine that the SEIU people have, we would find out quickly whether or not ABF, UPS, and UPSF are serious about running trucking companies,...or are more concerned with the stock price to line their own pockets. Only 25% of truck drivers have the qualifications to work for an LTL company,...CDL-A, HAZ-MAT, Doubles-Triples, Tanker. There is a driver shortage across the board in all fields........THERE IS NO REASON WE SHOULD'VE TAKEN A PAY CUT!........If ABF employees would've gotten substantial pay raises, then the entire non-Union LTL section would've raised pay accordingly to prevent either drivers leaving or organizing. As it is, there are non-Union companies now giving pay raises just to keep existing drivers. Pitt Ohio just gave out TWO raises of 50 cents each within a year, for the first time ever. As it is now, our wages will be "locked" as lower than the non-Unions for 5 years,...allowing the non-Union companies to give raises at THEIR leisure, instead of being forced to compete with higher Union wages. That fact, in itself, ....has effectively ended any hope of potentially organizing ANY non-Union company,....probably forever. The "carrot on the stick" we have at ABF is what remains of our pensions,....that really is the ONLY reason most of us are going to hang around. Just exactly what was the IBT....."leadership"...... thinking? Once again,....in my opinion,....they are either criminally incompetent,....or criminally complicit.

The contract ABF has now,...as it stands,...sets in motion the machinery for ABF to gradually shed their Union employees through attrition,...either retirement, unfair firings (No Corroboration, remember?),..or guys quitting in disgust. Eventually 70%-80% of ABF's business will be handled through outside contractors,...non-Union carriers bumping docks,because all the existing,..or remaining,... ABF employees are...."promised" work. The only new hires at ABF will be salesmen,...for Freight Value, truckload, or special "purchased transport" agreements. This is it, guys. If you are hired now,...look around at your seniority list. That will be it. There will be NO more new hires once this Agreement is implemented,....there will be No replacements for guys retiring or getting fired. When you go on vacation, ABF will call in outside contractors to pick up the slack. ABF, as a Union carrier,...will exist in name only, with a very few Union employees, and a whole ton of outside contractors. Schneider/Schneider National did the same thing. Schneider was Union prior to deregulation, they created Schneider National as a "double-breasted" non-Union company, and gradually bled off their Union employees. This is ABF's future. Down the Tube we go.........

Just at our Local Union meeting yesterday,...we have a big UPS presence here,...and the fear is that the IBT will simply implement the supplements that were voted down, without altering or even re-voting the supplement. We're all learning a big lesson here. The IBT is acting like an autonomous dictatorial entity, with no input from the rank-and-file.......the very antithesis of a Labor organization. They are grabbing power that any moral-based organization wouldn't dream of grabbing,....the right to unilaterally impose an unpopular Labor agreement without following NLRB guidelines, and without the voting consent of the membership. That would be how the non-Union company management would impose a wage and benefit package. The IBT "leadership" have proved themselves to be as disdainful of the rank-and-file as the worst ratball non-Union company out there. If the IBT unfairly ignores the guidelines set by Labor law, and unfairly imposes any agreement on any group they so-called "represent", I would hope that the affected affiliated Locals would file an injunction in court to halt implementation, and have the NLRB conduct a FAIR and IMPARTIAL re-vote of any agreement in question,....without subtle threats, lies, and rumors from EITHER the IBT or the company. A petition to remove the negotiating teams by a vote of "No Confidence" should be conducted, too. If ABF will have a "stand alone" contract, then ABF employees,....who have to live under the provisions of the contract they negotiate,....should be on the negotiating team. Same with UPSF, UPS, and YRC. The so-called "professional negotiators" provided by the IBT have fallen flat on their collective faces in every single one of the major contracts under the auspices of the Teamsters. The Teamsters leadership are now the laughingstock of organized Labor worldwide. It seems the SEIU has no problem putting their members on strike in San Francisco,...if only our current "leadership" had the same kind of spine that the SEIU people have, we would find out quickly whether or not ABF, UPS, and UPSF are serious about running trucking companies,...or are more concerned with the stock price to line their own pockets. Only 25% of truck drivers have the qualifications to work for an LTL company,...CDL-A, HAZ-MAT, Doubles-Triples, Tanker. There is a driver shortage across the board in all fields........THERE IS NO REASON WE SHOULD'VE TAKEN A PAY CUT!........If ABF employees would've gotten substantial pay raises, then the entire non-Union LTL section would've raised pay accordingly to prevent either drivers leaving or organizing. As it is, there are non-Union companies now giving pay raises just to keep existing drivers. Pitt Ohio just gave out TWO raises of 50 cents each within a year, for the first time ever. As it is now, our wages will be "locked" as lower than the non-Unions for 5 years,...allowing the non-Union companies to give raises at THEIR leisure, instead of being forced to compete with higher Union wages. That fact, in itself, ....has effectively ended any hope of potentially organizing ANY non-Union company,....probably forever. The "carrot on the stick" we have at ABF is what remains of our pensions,....that really is the ONLY reason most of us are going to hang around. Just exactly what was the IBT....."leadership"...... thinking? Once again,....in my opinion,....they are either criminally incompetent,....or criminally complicit.
Soooooo long I only read part of it but given the source I know it's all good.

The contract ABF has now,...as it stands,...sets in motion the machinery for ABF to gradually shed their Union employees through attrition,...either retirement, unfair firings (No Corroboration, remember?),..or guys quitting in disgust. Eventually 70%-80% of ABF's business will be handled through outside contractors,...non-Union carriers bumping docks,because all the existing,..or remaining,... ABF employees are...."promised" work. The only new hires at ABF will be salesmen,...for Freight Value, truckload, or special "purchased transport" agreements. This is it, guys. If you are hired now,...look around at your seniority list. That will be it. There will be NO more new hires once this Agreement is implemented,....there will be No replacements for guys retiring or getting fired. When you go on vacation, ABF will call in outside contractors to pick up the slack. ABF, as a Union carrier,...will exist in name only, with a very few Union employees, and a whole ton of outside contractors. Schneider/Schneider National did the same thing. Schneider was Union prior to deregulation, they created Schneider National as a "double-breasted" non-Union company, and gradually bled off their Union employees. This is ABF's future. Down the Tube we go.........
There might be some truth in your logic as far as line haul goes.But you still need P&D and dock people to work the freight at the D.C.'s

There might be some truth in your logic as far as line haul goes.But you still need P&D and dock people to work the freight at the D.C.'s

My terminal manager has wanted an interline agreement for years, to eliminate the "beater" freight,...labor-intensive, low-rate marginal profit freight on the fringes of our covered territory. Currently, a larger terminal has interlines with non-Union carriers that run into and through our territory to handle zip codes we don't,....including one non-Union interline that would "borrow" ABF trailers to deliver freight right past our terminal. As steward, I refused for years to even consider an interline agreement, and tried to get total coverage for ALL zip codes in our area. The day after the Tentative Agreement passed, my TM told me we no longer have to worry about interlines. If all our employees are working, he can farm out daily overflow to any carrier of his choice. The YRC terminal in Pittsburgh gives away 250 bills a week to several non-Union interline carriers,.....because they "can't hire anyone"........Or won't.......

We just hired three new people in the last four months and one more has just been approved. With the slow season just around the corner go figure.

im my area the freight just vanished. Hopefully it will return very soon. .Bottom 10 drivers starving top 75% getting fat.

would you come to work here knowing you get 1 week vacation a year till the 8th year? Of course they know what there doing. The hiring process Is to extensive anyway. The HR department will have to start cleaning toilets and sweeping the apron to keep there job. I don't care how many is on the roster as long as my name is still on it. It is what it is. We could ***** and moan till we turn blue. We haven't accomplished a damn thing

That is how Schneider dumped the Teamsters back in the day.

Rollin says " I don't care how many are on the roster as long as my name is still on it "
Now if that don't fit the ME generation I don't know what does.
Me Me Me Meesters the new generation.
When your the next on the list for a driving bid and the company is using interline to deliver your freight you may change your tune son. You need to look a bit farther down the road than the end of your nose

would you come to work here knowing you get 1 week vacation a year till the 8th year? Of course they know what there doing. The hiring process Is to extensive anyway. The HR department will have to start cleaning toilets and sweeping the apron to keep there job. I don't care how many is on the roster as long as my name is still on it. It is what it is. We could ***** and moan till we turn blue. We haven't accomplished a damn thing

From the Company's standpoint, the negotiation is over. If there is no authorization to strike, the Union is going to take the position that there is no "hammer" to drop, and they have made it clear that they don't want to call a strike. They will implement the contract with the final offer. And remember.....they count the votes.....in the Washington, DC area.....a place known for it's integrity. But, thanks for the extra 7 months under the old agreement. R.I.P. Old Man Hoffa...the NMFA is now passed away also, on life support until 10/30/2013....Say it ain't so!:Emoticon_digging:

I ran into Carlisle this week and already seen a bunch of outside carriers trailers in there. I guess their moving forward with their plans before the new contracts implemented.

Since the leadership of the IBT is for ur new bogus contract, then you can sure they wont make sure ABF is only using the contractors for the % of road runs that is in ur contract. Trust me, bcuz we all know how screwed up ups freight is when it comes to that elephant in the room. For example, memphis and south holland (chicago) have meet run during the daytime and night time, and in our contract it states that contractors can be used for one way freight lanes only, so if you go from columbus oh to indy n there is no freight returning to your home barn. Then a contractor can be ran. So back to the memphis example, so like i said they have meets during the week, but yet they also have many contractors run from mem to soh all the time too. The message im getting at is at least ur contract has a % of how much they can use them, the only problem is WHOS GOING TO KEEP TRACK OF IT?????? Dont count on our president or his croonies, we all have seen what they have done for all freight teamsters lately.... NOT A DAM THING, upsf had acouple contractors a couple yrs ago, most of them were ran out of the hubs, but now they are ran like clock work out of eol's and over 50% of our road runs are ran by contractors, we r the 4th largest ltl outfit behind fedex conway and yrc, but yet if you observe the big roads at night, you can probley count how many upsf sets r out there on ten fingers, its sick, but its reality, we are beging to be the laughing stock of trucking, and we have our leadership to blame. Most teamsters have just givin up on hoffa, but like most of you guys said on here the freight teamsters are not the majority but the minority. I wish you all good luck at ABF and keep your head up and just keep faith, miracles do happen.HOFFA OUT 2016

I see it's all about you again!!! This is a typical response from trollins... .
I don't care how many is on the roster as long as my name is still on it. It i

That is the reason we are in the condition we are in!!! To may trollins with the attitude of I don't care what happens as long as it don't affect me, and I get my check!!!

Why would I care about people that don't even work here or applied here? And secondly, I think we all can agree that there are a few individuals that take advantage of abf and our union that been needing to be fired for a long time. These cameras will eliminate the people riding on our coat tails to help get this place to makin money again. A profitable employer will give us some leverage going into 2018. We have none operating at 99 to 101%. Go ask yrc or vitran

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would I care about people that don't even work here or applied here? And secondly, I think we all can agree that there are a few individuals that take advantage of abf and our union that been needing to be fired for a long time. These cameras will eliminate the people riding on our coat tails to help get this place to makin money again. A profitable employer will give us some leverage going into 2018. We have none operating at 99 to 101%. Go ask yrc or vitran
We will see how much leverage we have, while your sitting home while Panther or freight value is picking up your freight. And can you please tell me how cameras are part of economic relief?

We will see how much leverage we have, while your sitting home while Panther or freight value is picking up your freight. And can you please tell me how cameras are part of economic relief?

Sure. The guys sucking the life out of this company is the reason their even having to ask for 7%. If you do the math, in 5 years we retain the concessions plus a raise. With cameras intact, we will see how many clock suckers are disposed of so we can go back to full pay scàle. I think it's great about the cameras. If you doing your job, why even worry about a camera.

Sure. The guys sucking the life out of this company is the reason their even having to ask for 7%. If you do the math, in 5 years we retain the concessions plus a raise. With cameras intact, we will see how many clock suckers are disposed of so we can go back to full pay scàle. I think it's great about the cameras. If you doing your job, why even worry about a camera.
No possible way you drive.....

And you've never heard of photoshop.........There was a guy who couldn't wait to show me the latest I-Phone video of Sarah Palin slapping Barack Obama.....yeah...If they want you bad enough, they'll photoshop you stealing time,...or freight,...or whatever. Any 15 year old kid could do it.....No Corroboration, remember? Burden of proof is now on you to explain how and why it was photoshopped. I don't know you at all, Rollin62 but you must have very tiny feet, 'cause every time you open your mouth, you're inserting both feet......Or maybe you've just got a big mouth.......

And you've never heard of photoshop.........There was a guy who couldn't wait to show me the latest I-Phone video of Sarah Palin slapping Barack Obama.....yeah...If they want you bad enough, they'll photoshop you stealing time,...or freight,...or whatever. Any 15 year old kid could do it.....No Corroboration, remember? Burden of proof is now on you to explain how and why it was photoshopped. I don't know you at all, Rollin62 but you must have very tiny feet, 'cause every time you open your mouth, you're inserting both feet......Or maybe you've just got a big mouth.......

Big mouth, little or no brain!