ABF | Is Implementation on its Way?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
If they were around for "decades" , then they have been created by the previous hog board while they were on the bottom. It's the old "I finally got mine after years of being snubbed. Now it's my turn." Very selfish, very childish. This isn't the army, seniority isn't rank. We all pay the same amount dues, at least after two years. If there's a strike, the 30 year man needs the three year man on the picket line with him. Superseniority for stewards is wrong,....and I say that as a steward. The top of the board should be cultivating good Union habits in the bottom of the board,....Solidarity,....being an active member,...looking out for your fellow employee,...Proving that a Union employee is the best employee,...the most professional,.......these are the things the top of the board should be promoting.....through example. Sadly,...in some places, this doesn't happen. Probably why we are in this position,..contract-wise,..that we are in now. But,....if you think Union companies are the only ones with a few selfish employees,....you haven't been around very many non-Union docks. Knee pads are the uniform of the day,...and management promotes a culture of snitches. Some non-union guys resist and try to maintain their dignity,....but many,...in fear for their job,....do not. Come now, Rollin62,...you were/are at Conway. Tell us all about kneepads and snitches.........

As a steward every so often I get a complaint from someone about super-seniority and I have never understood what that is. Recently I had a member call me who was upset because he had held for a turn (on the road board) and ended up being drafted onto a lay-down run because the board was exhausted. He called me wanting to know why he was not given a choice of runs in his seniority spot simply because he held for turn. I asked one of the older drivers who, was a steward several years ago, and he said ‘if that driver had been given a choice, he would have exercised super-seniority.’ I did not see it that way and I re-read the contract book looking for super-seniority with no luck. So, if someone could explain super-seniority to me I would greatly appreciate it.

playing the extra board is a risk, he got the short hand.. yes he loses all seniority if extra drivers below him take a run and then they have to break his preference.. Super-seniority is a term I haven't heard of.. Sounds like a super-cry-baby!! Play the game, win or lose.. sounds like all the rules worked here!!

Super-seniority requires two conditions, a nose and a hole....you get the idea....

Super seniority comes into play during layoffs. The Shop Steward in all union trades has super seniority, it means last laid off and first back to work. Of course if the Steward is last laid off and he gets laid off I don't see much chance of anyone getting called back.

In the past I tried to help lower seniority men who had been on layoff by refusing overtime only to go home after eight hours & the man who had been laid off work overtime that same night. I have known of men who were laid off & on their first week back called in sick on for a weekend day. Their excuse was they had plans to be with their families. I always worked one weekend day because it was my bid shift. I did miss some family time but I covered my bid shift. It's difficult to feel sorry for someone if they don't work their bid shift & get laid off.

In the past I tried to help lower seniority men who had been on layoff by refusing overtime only to go home after eight hours & the man who had been laid off work overtime that same night. I have known of men who were laid off & on their first week back called in sick on for a weekend day. Their excuse was they had plans to be with their families. I always worked one weekend day because it was my bid shift. I did miss some family time but I covered my bid shift. It's difficult to feel sorry for someone if they don't work their bid shift & get laid off.
That reminds me, the guy I was supposed to leave the Saturday OT for could have run the road but he doesn't like running the road. :shrug: I don't want to run the road either but I'm not asking anyone else to leave work for me.

And you've never heard of photoshop.........There was a guy who couldn't wait to show me the latest I-Phone video of Sarah Palin slapping Barack Obama.....yeah...If they want you bad enough, they'll photoshop you stealing time,...or freight,...or whatever. Any 15 year old kid could do it.....No Corroboration, remember? Burden of proof is now on you to explain how and why it was photoshopped. I don't know you at all, Rollin62 but you must have very tiny feet, 'cause every time you open your mouth, you're inserting both feet......Or maybe you've just got a big mouth.......

Uh oh time to get out the tin foil hats... If you have that little faith in your employer, why would you stay? I'm sure they've got bigger fish to fry than photoshopping camera images to get rid of people. The constant mistrust and detestation between rank and file employees and management boggles my mind. How do you get up and go to work? If I hated my employer as bad as y'all sound like you do I'd sit home and let Barry take care of me. I'm sure he and the regime wouldn't mind...

Uh oh time to get out the tin foil hats... If you have that little faith in your employer, why would you stay? I'm sure they've got bigger fish to fry than photoshopping camera images to get rid of people. The constant mistrust and detestation between rank and file employees and management boggles my mind. How do you get up and go to work? If I hated my employer as bad as y'all sound like you do I'd sit home and let Barry take care of me. I'm sure he and the regime wouldn't mind...
Go work for yrc for a month & let's see if your still singing the same tune.....ABF overall is not a bad company to work for, just greedy....

Unfortunately, it is just human nature to take things for granted. When you take a step back and look what is going on with the middle class, we don't have it bad at all. In my opinion the majority of our anger and discontent should be directed towards the IBT, the company did what anybody does during negotiations, they tried to get the best deal they could, as it turns out they probably got a better deal than they were expecting because the IBT laid down.

:popcorn:..........

No, what your saying is we should take whatever they offer us & just be happy you don't work for Conway....

The majority thought it was a good deal and trusted our employer on their word. I guess we'll see if they keep their word and close terminals on the no voters.

The majority thought it was a good deal and trusted our employer on their word. I guess we'll see if they keep their word and close terminals on the no voters.
No votes have nothing to do with it, its all about the money!!!Why have 2 terminals 20-30 miles apart. Wouldent it be ironic if your terminal was closed or merged, what would your excuse be then?

No votes have nothing to do with it, its all about the money!!!Why have 2 terminals 20-30 miles apart. Wouldent it be ironic if your terminal was closed or merged, what would your excuse be then?
look how much money the no voters in the central conference has cost abf already by delaying . You don't think they will deal with these places accordingly? I do. As far as my terminal closing, not gonna happen. My terminal Is one of the highest profitable barns. Merger on the other hand, well, a yrc merger would do a lot of us in. Lots of old timers there

look how much money the no voters in the central conference has cost abf already by delaying . You don't think they will deal with these places accordingly? I do. As far as my terminal closing, not gonna happen. My terminal Is one of the highest profitable barns. Merger on the other hand, well, a yrc merger would do a lot of us in. Lots of old timers there

They CANT deal with those terminals like you keep yapping about. The cannot and will not route around them. Sorry Dorthey you arent in conway anymore

Yes you can relocate anywhere. True statement Rollin
In case you have never noticed just about every LTL has their break terminals in the same areas. Big metropolitan areas the generate and receive large amount of freight to feed their systems. And to remain competitive with other LTLs. lanes they must all be somewhat on the same page.
Your statesmen about your terminal being profitable and they would never close it. I have learned that nobody is safe in LTL.
I have my eye on a small and profitable city terminal out West and when the dust settles I bet those guys will be driving an hour to the break to go to work. Why because every other LTL has done the same thing in that area.
Coo. abf can relocate a break anywhere.

Coo. abf can relocate a break anywhere.

Really? Where? They just going to build a new break somewhere else? Coo's have to be approved by the union. Affected workers given the chance to follow their work. Bumped employees laid off. Coo's cost millions. Sorry pal this isn't conway. There are rules to follow here.

How do you know you are at one of the most profitable terminals?