FedEx Freight | Is it just me?

starvinpurple

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm a city driver at a hub which will remain unidentified. :)
I think the following scenario happens to us all, city and line drivers alike, and I'm curious to know if what's being expected of me is as widespread as I suspect.
Here's the story:
As a city driver, if I'm pulling a single trailer, I'm expected to be out the gate within 18 minutes of punching in. That means I've got to accomplish the following in about 15 minutes:
Endure pre-shift meeting lasting at least three minutes
Walk to other end of LONG dock
Find AM crew lead and ask which door my trailer is in
Check load (if it's even finished) and secure it properly
Find straps, rope, pallet jack, hand truck and put in trailer
Proceed to front office, pick up handheld and paperwork (re-boot handheld!)
Look at every DR for appointments, potential issues, etc.... communicate concerns to dispatch if necessary
Find a tractor
Pretrip tractor
Hook trailer
Move fifth wheel all the way back to accommodate 48-footer (usually requires some cursing and persuasion with a 5# hammer)
Pretrip trailer
Sequence stops in handheld
Proceed to gate, wait at least three minutes for security to record my equipment etc.

Is there anybody out there who thinks all this is physically possible? If so, you're wearing a red shirt and have never done my job or even had a ride-along.

Anyway.... yes, there's a point to this, I'm getting there...!

Since yard time ("gate time" for you line drivers) is SO important to this company, here's what I actually do:
Sit thru pre-shift while drumming fingers on table
Walk "briskly" down the dock, find my trailer for myself, throw in pallet jack, close door
Get handheld and paperwork from office
Find tractor, any tractor
Skip pretrip, start it up, go hook trailer
Roughly drag fifth wheel to rear position under loaded trailer
Pull the whole mess to the gate
Wait for security (no shortcuts here)
Exit yard, drive up the road until I hear the handheld beep
Pull over and finish all the sh1t that I "should have" already done.... because stupid goals or not, I WILL NOT cut corners on safety or legality.

Last week I found a flat tire on my trailer AFTER I left the yard. Called dispatch, told them I made my yard time cut-off but found a flat while finishing my pre (?) trip inspection and that I was bringing the unit back for a new tire. There was NOTHING they could say.

Talk about false efficiency.

So here's the point: Am I the only one doing this cr@p? I've got a few years under my belt so I doubt it. Comments? Ideas?

Never admit to doing Pretrip after your trip has started!! Also gate times don't mean anything to me anymore... You do the proper Pretrip safety procedures the way they want it done and if you don't make the gate oh well!! You should never feel pressured to do something unsafe just to meet their non policy requests (to my knowledge there isn't a policy for city drivers and gate times after punching in)

RC got his first oopsie in the yard hurrying trying to make a gate.
19 and a half straight years down the drain. Gates don't mean a thing to RC.
RC can always find something wrong with our rust bucket equipment. A delay at the shop is worth its weight in gold to be able to say
"Sorry 'bout your gate, did you really want me to leave with a mechanical defect?
Oh, the gate is more important? Here would you please sign off my Pretrip on the DVIR that the notated defects don't need fixing."

Haven't had a problem yet.

RC got his first oopsie in the yard hurrying trying to make a gate.
19 and a half straight years down the drain. Gates don't mean a thing to RC.
RC can always find something wrong with our rust bucket equipment. A delay at the shop is worth its weight in gold to be able to say
"Sorry 'bout your gate, did you really want me to leave with a mechanical defect?
Oh, the gate is more important? Here would you please sign off my Pretrip on the DVIR that the notated defects don't need fixing."

Haven't had a problem yet.

I think RC has it about right.
I usually just claim delay pay past my gate time if I had to get things fixed at the shop or had to wait for trailers to come in for me to hook or waiting for freight to be added to through trailers. I'm not city so they just do the best they can and forget the gate time.

:shift:

I get out late all the time in CGT. I would pay some one to be standing at dispatch window at 7:55 am for a 8:00 show time and get hand held dispatch paperwork and go threw it to check hazmat bills then go find the truck your dispatched with get a dolly if one not on back go hook actually find trailers because if never been at my barn well it's a very large yard but hook a set then do a proper DOT- COMPANY pretrip inspection all in 30 minutes. It's impossible and can't be done in 30 minutes.

I get out late all the time in CGT. I would pay some one to be standing at dispatch window at 7:55 am for a 8:00 show time and get hand held dispatch paperwork and go threw it to check hazmat bills then go find the truck your dispatched with get a dolly if one not on back go hook actually find trailers because if never been at my barn well it's a very large yard but hook a set then do a proper DOT- COMPANY pretrip inspection all in 30 minutes. It's impossible and can't be done in 30 minutes.

BC,
it shouldn't be impossible. Emphasis on "Shouldn't". If the redshirts were held to the same standard of excellence that the drivers are via scorecard, it would not only be possible, it would happen all the time and the O/R would be 80. My turn driver still brings me unbelievable crap for HM paperwork, incorrect or missing placards, or placards for with no HM onboard...and he's every bit as clueless as the redshirts that give it to him. Even with the computer printout, some folks can't add 2 + 2 and get 4. Not sure whether it's truly scary, or just plain sad and pathetic.

ST

When I was a road dispatcher (although this is 5 years ago), I had to forward a report to center manager explaining any missed gate times. 99.9% of the time, it was waiting on dock, shop delay, and every once in a while road dispatch delay. Can only think of one time where it was drivers fault, and that was because he was 15-20 minutes late past show time. I always copied in any supervisor that caused delay (dock sup)(shop mgr). Sometimes got a little grumbling from other sups, but always tried to call a spade a spade. I probably wouldnt last out the shift today.

iam also a city driver.we get 30 min to get out the gate.

So do we, if we're hooking a set. Add "find gear, hook set" to my list of "required" tasks above..... and I say it's still physically impossible to do all of it and do it correctly in the allotted time, even if everything goes perfectly and there are no defects. Which was really what I intended to be my point: Even on a perfect day, I say it's not possible to comply with both company policy and allotted yard time. :/

It is NOT possible at CGT, it has always been an experiment in humiliation! I have been around and in that mess since it opened in 1999. FXF has completely fumbled CHICAGO. I mean now they suddenly realized CGT was more than 1 SCM could handle...So, after they fired at least 5 good SCM's who were begging for help with this (Festering Stink Hole of FXF) they have hand picked a couple of Get Along Gang boys. Yes , CGT now has 2 Service Center Managers. It seems like a moot point though. The only way FXF will be able to survive and post the amazing profit #'s is exactly how ground has done it! With not many highly compensated employees. (ROAD DRIVERS). Make your plan now. Or wonder what happened to your good job.

CGT is 300 plus doors on how how many acres?
Must be a thrill finding trailers. Our 175 doors on 37 acres can be an exercise in futility looking for trailers that have not been dropped in the correct area of the yard. I can't even begin to understand what CGT must be like.

The people that numbered the dock at CGT didn't account for the office etc so 300 plus is really only 262 usable doors I don't know the acreage tho

The city drivers that get out the gate in 18 minutes or less, are the drivers that come in a half hour early and perform some of the duties you mentioned while off the clock. We have a handful of drivers at our center that come in early, start tractor up and go hook to trailer that is not yet closed down, put pallet jack in trailer and then punch in grab paperwork and handheld and head out the gate. Several violations of company policy there!

There are drivers that do what I just mentioned above and then there are also a handful of driver's that couldn't get out the gate in less than 1 hour even if everything goes perfect. I say shame on the early work off the clock heroes and shame on the slackers that can never get out on time... The rest of us fall in the middle. We are the average drivers and the average driver can not properly do a DOT pre-trip, check and secure your load, apply placards and sometimes UN numbers, log into handheld and sequence stops and get out the gate in under 30 minutes.

So...at our center, just like Starvinpurple said, most get out the gate in 30 minutes but then we all line up in the street and sequence our stops, pre-trip our trailers and the fact is... it's all a bunch of crap! The numbers look good on paper but they are all falsified crap!

The people that numbered the dock at CGT didn't account for the office etc so 300 plus is really only 262 usable doors I don't know the acreage tho

CGT is actually 276 doors and I don't know the acreage but we opened in March 2001. Are dock is a T dock and finding a trailer is 30 plus minutes sometimes. It's land locked so they can't expand the yard.

We get 25 min to get off yard (city), If late we have to send message stating reason.

We conducted an "experiment" to see if could be done. DrverA given a PUP (instead of usual 48-53), plus it was located in the 1st door out of the office. It was clearly a setup as EVERY skid was strapped to wall, no HazMat etc. DrverA was able to get off in a mere 24 min... In a "best case" scenario. Perfect (new) trailer, Perfect simple load, minimal bills, folded, ready to go.

Not long after that ,DrverA was written up for missing "mandatory" gate time by 2 min.. Contacted H/R, then safety. Sadly neither was any help at all, except they both said to "send a message" when late,even though, without a stop watch, it's hard to know if you'll miss it by only a minute or so. I was NOT surprised by H/R lack of concern BUT SAFETY really disappointed....

In the end, DrverA contacted legal Dept, and sent copies of all supporting documents. Legal was very interested, concerned, and helpful. After a short investigation, write up was withdrawn and instructions given that no further write ups can occur for late depart alone. Only if observed not actively performing duties required, or not sending message as to why late (straps/placards/shop/billing/direction(1st-2nd stop only)etc etc etc.

So, the moral of the story? Don't short change proper safety procedures and duties which are required by law as well as Co. policy. If you have to... appeal to the highest level. Legal still cares...

*note: above story is true, names changed to protect the innocent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a city driver at a hub which will remain unidentified. :)
I think the following scenario happens to us all, city and line drivers alike, and I'm curious to know if what's being expected of me is as widespread as I suspect.
Here's the story:
As a city driver, if I'm pulling a single trailer, I'm expected to be out the gate within 18 minutes of punching in. That means I've got to accomplish the following in about 15 minutes:
Endure pre-shift meeting lasting at least three minutes
Walk to other end of LONG dock
Find AM crew lead and ask which door my trailer is in
Check load (if it's even finished) and secure it properly
Find straps, rope, pallet jack, hand truck and put in trailer
Proceed to front office, pick up handheld and paperwork (re-boot handheld!)
Look at every DR for appointments, potential issues, etc.... communicate concerns to dispatch if necessary
Find a tractor
Pretrip tractor
Hook trailer
Move fifth wheel all the way back to accommodate 48-footer (usually requires some cursing and persuasion with a 5# hammer)
Pretrip trailer
Sequence stops in handheld
Proceed to gate, wait at least three minutes for security to record my equipment etc.

Is there anybody out there who thinks all this is physically possible? If so, you're wearing a red shirt and have never done my job or even had a ride-along.

Anyway.... yes, there's a point to this, I'm getting there...!

Since yard time ("gate time" for you line drivers) is SO important to this company, here's what I actually do:
Sit thru pre-shift while drumming fingers on table
Walk "briskly" down the dock, find my trailer for myself, throw in pallet jack, close door
Get handheld and paperwork from office
Find tractor, any tractor
Skip pretrip, start it up, go hook trailer
Roughly drag fifth wheel to rear position under loaded trailer
Pull the whole mess to the gate
Wait for security (no shortcuts here)
Exit yard, drive up the road until I hear the handheld beep
Pull over and finish all the sh1t that I "should have" already done.... because stupid goals or not, I WILL NOT cut corners on safety or legality.

Last week I found a flat tire on my trailer AFTER I left the yard. Called dispatch, told them I made my yard time cut-off but found a flat while finishing my pre (?) trip inspection and that I was bringing the unit back for a new tire. There was NOTHING they could say.

Talk about false efficiency.

So here's the point: Am I the only one doing this cr@p? I've got a few years under my belt so I doubt it. Comments? Ideas?

Look all I can tell you is go to driver's manual and read through all policies! Because management isn't going to volunteer them! Do it by the book and if they try to write you up quote the policy for pretrip inspection etc and if they still persist call your regional HR rep not your local one. Be polite and don't yell or curse. That usual works for me so far. I use to be a company man years ago, but I've been lied to so much I'm done.

Also road driver's if them hand you your bills late check the time on trip sheet. If it doesn't match the time you got them. Politely hand them back and ask to reprint it. Because you have 30 minutes from the time you get your bills. If they refuse tell them per HR they have to match the time you get them. NOT THAT MANAGEMENT WOULD LIE IF YOU GOT OUT LATE AND SAY ITS YOUR FAULT CAUSE YOU GOT YOUR BILLS ON TIME. Also never back under a trailer at the dock without checking door is shut. EVEN YOUR LEAD! Its a safety violation! Even if your trailers are closed! Trust me been through this! Speaking from experience! We have a all American safety guy trying to make a name for himself off the backs of good driver's!

Sadly, most of the new guys don't have a clue as to how important it is to do the job right 1st, despite being pushed. Many are in such a rush that (coincidentally?) they are having accidents at alarming rates... At least at my center.

We get 25 min to get off yard (city), If late we have to send message stating reason.

We conducted an "experiment" to see if could be done. DrverA given a PUP (instead of usual 48-53), plus it was located in the 1st door out of the office. It was clearly a setup as EVERY skid was strapped to wall, no HazMat etc. DrverA was able to get off in a mere 24 min... In a "best case" scenario. Perfect (new) trailer, Perfect simple load, minimal bills, folded, ready to go.

Not long after that ,DrverA was written up for missing "mandatory" gate time by 2 min.. Contacted H/R, then safety. Sadly neither was any help at all, except they both said to "send a message" when late,even though, without a stop watch, it's hard to know if you'll miss it by only a minute or so. I was NOT surprised by H/R lack of concern BUT SAFETY really disappointed....

In the end, DrverA contacted legal Dept, and sent copies of all supporting documents. Legal was very interested, concerned, and helpful. After a short investigation, write up was withdrawn and instructions given that no further write ups can occur for late depart alone. Only if observed not actively performing duties required, or not sending message as to why late (straps/placards/shop/billing/direction(1st-2nd stop only)etc etc etc.

So, the moral of the story? Don't short change proper safety procedures and duties which are required by law as well as Co. policy. If you have to... appeal to the highest level. Legal still cares...

*note: above story is true, names changed to protect the innocent.
But the point is well taken.
Just do your job. If you have any problems tell someone...

CGT is actually 276 doors and I don't know the acreage but we opened in March 2001. Are dock is a T dock and finding a trailer is 30 plus minutes sometimes. It's land locked so they can't expand the yard.

We were apparently still just reaching for that "Shining City" that is now CGT! It took the unions over 2 years to build a 186 original straight line dock. Anywhere but Chicago that would have taken 10 months at the most. The drivers that had to run into CGX were lied to since the AF days weren't they? Because I remember the mess. ST.LOUIS is a MUCH bigger property and took only 11 months to bulid, STL has around 250 doors (and it's original design was a "T") and at least 40 acres just sitting there...