TForce | Is it just the Teamsters or is it all unions ???

nightprowler

TB Lurker
Credits
I think this is a pretty legitimate question .

Say we were all electricians here . Would there be the same anti union sentiment towards the IBEW ?
Or is this lack of trust reserved only for the Teamsters based only on their past history with Overnite ?

Be honest with your answers .

I think it is the first question you asked. I had 3 different union jobs and they were the only"good" jobs i had. the others were to get by on. i think anti-union people are accross the board on the subject. I can understand why management thinks that way but not a regular everyday worker.

nightprowler said:
Or is this lack of trust reserved only for the Teamsters based only on their past history with Overnite ?
Hey nightprowler........every person here has a different view on this subject. After you go through all of the opposing ideas......there is one basic thing. UPS Freight workers need to have a written agreement with UPS. That's what all of this is about. Set work rules, OT provisions, etc. There is lots of talk about pension. Well guess what.......that's huge all over the U.S. I work in NC and unless you are in management, or have a union job, you don't have a pension!! The word "Trust" was used in the past organizing if OVNT. They "trusted" Leo, what did they get? Raises every year?, better working conditions?, health and welfare?? I just have a problem understanding when a person can better themselves and their family, and gives it up just to say, "I hate the Teamsters, and I've got a 401k"!! I don't have the answer here.....I did the best thing for my family and got my Teamster job. DS.

Docksteward said:
Hey nightprowler........every person here has a different view on this subject. After you go through all of the opposing ideas......there is one basic thing. UPS Freight workers need to have a written agreement with UPS. That's what all of this is about. Set work rules, OT provisions, etc. There is lots of talk about pension. Well guess what.......that's huge all over the U.S. I work in NC and unless you are in management, or have a union job, you don't have a pension!! The word "Trust" was used in the past organizing if OVNT. They "trusted" Leo, what did they get? Raises every year?, better working conditions?, health and welfare?? I just have a problem understanding when a person can better themselves and their family, and gives it up just to say, "I hate the Teamsters, and I've got a 401k"!! I don't have the answer here.....I did the best thing for my family and got my Teamster job. DS.

Well there is at least one reason I'd agree with for a yea to the Union. Road Drivers should NOT be driving 5 hrs unloading freight 2,3,4 hrs and driving 5 hrs back home. The statment about management or a union job will keep you in a pension i don't agree with, look at all the nonunion company's freezing or stopping all pensions, Verizon, Motorola, GI/Estes pensions are never safe and the union company's pension's will be broke by the time I retire with fewer and fewer teamesters paying in to them. :smilie_132:

Dreemer said:
The statment about management or a union job will keep you in a pension i don't agree with, look at all the nonunion company's freezing or stopping all pensions, Verizon, Motorola, GI/Estes pensions are never safe and the union company's pension's will be broke by the time I retire with fewer and fewer teamesters paying in to them.
Hey Dreemer......my statement was more along the lines of in my state the number of people collecting a pension were either in management or had a union job. Without proper legislation, everyone with a multi employer pension will lose out. DS.

when ups aquired the untouchable O pension fund, did it go into a seperate account for former O people or is it paying out to ups non-union retirees who never worked a day for O ?

Docksteward said:
Hey Dreemer......my statement was more along the lines of in my state the number of people collecting a pension were either in management or had a union job. Without proper legislation, everyone with a multi employer pension will lose out. DS.

Yea i got that, but still my statement about penisons i think is true. no?

wassesname said:
when ups aquired the untouchable O pension fund, did it go into a seperate account for former O people or is it paying out to ups non-union retirees who never worked a day for O ?

I would think under Fed. laws it would go only to those employee's entitled to under current O bi-laws

Dreemer... is that what you think? I understand Fed. law but what is a O by law? sounds like a contradiction of terms to me.

Dreemer said:
Well there is at least one reason I'd agree with for a yea to the Union. Road Drivers should NOT be driving 5 hrs unloading freight 2,3,4 hrs and driving 5 hrs back home. The statment about management or a union job will keep you in a pension i don't agree with, look at all the nonunion company's freezing or stopping all pensions, Verizon, Motorola, GI/Estes pensions are never safe and the union company's pension's will be broke by the time I retire with fewer and fewer teamesters paying in to them. :smilie_132:

Those are company pension funds NOT Taft Hartly pension funds, multi -employer pension funds. There is a difference

nightprowler said:

Say we were all electricians here . Would there be the same anti union sentiment towards the IBEW ?

I'll try to not drift off on a tangent here. My wife worked for the Operating Engineers and it was the same stuff.....Guys and gals saying they didn't want to pay for their jobs but wanted the money and bennies.....Ya know everything is free!!!!!!

nightprowler said:

I thought that the teamsters handled the Ovrenite strike perfectly . :biglaugh:

Docksteward don't jump the gun to quick. I live in north carolina and i have a pension and a 401k so you need to correct that statement. Should tell what you know not what you think because smetimes that may make you look like a .....?

nightprowler said:

Nightprowler my Dad just recently retired from a very large union company. he was the steward for a number of years. I really don't have anything against his union. Most of my lack of trust is with the Teamsters Union. I just cant get over the fact that they tried to put Overnite out of business and me out of a job.

Silverhawk1 said:
Nightprowler my Dad just recently retired from a very large union company. he was the steward for a number of years. I really don't have anything against his union. Most of my lack of trust is with the Teamsters Union. I just cant get over the fact that they tried to put Overnite out of business and me out of a job.
Would you be able to get over the fact that Upsf will use more part timers and less full timers which could put you out of a job? Stop living in the past.

Silverhawk1 said:
I fully understand where you are coming from silverhawk1. To make a statement like Jimmy H. said was about the stupidest thing to ever say. Adding to this about the "incidents" on both sides might I add was carried out by criminals. A rock, fist or bullet it did not matter. For the most part, Teamster members and "O" employees controled their emotions, but as they say a couple bad apples spoiled the bunch. I personally want to see Jimmy H. tossed out on his a$$. And I hope I get to vote on it. As far as wanting to become a Teamster, I was one years ago. At the time I gave the company a 100% everyday as I still do at UPSF. No I am not a steriotypical fat lazy ex-teamster who couldn't find work so he went to "O". But what I will say is that in the years here, I've seen this company go into the toilet. Only to be rescued by UPS. Leo's vision was to find a buyer as soon as he could to fill his pockets at the expense of ours. Now we are a division of the worlds most reputable transportation company. I think that Leo's vision has been outdated by 42+billion.

BusterNite said:
Would you be able to get over the fact that Upsf will use more part timers and less full timers which could put you out of a job? Stop living in the past.
This happens at Ups backed by the union now do you think it will change......:rolleyes: . I think some union members are still in the past.....:duh: