Is it possible to work when you want as a casual?

Discussion in 'YRC Freight' started by truckinus, Feb 17, 2018.

1. truckinus

truckinus Former YRC Dallas 511

I'm trying to finish up my schooling. Lost my job so I am probably going to end up trucking again or something similar. We have a local temp agency for trucking. I was thinking about that also. I only go to school two days a week on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Just wondering if I could do anything for YRC or would they quit calling me as a casual if I didn't answer on those nights? I have no idea how city driver work works anyways. I use to be a road driver.

2. Triplex

Triplex Experienced stalker

Why don't you look at being a road casual - get paid scale and typically can find work on weekends.

troubleman84 and albag like this.
  3. truckinus

I am not sure what the best option is. Guess anything could work really as long as im free on those days most of the time. I can miss a day here and there.

4. Try'n Hard

Try'n Hard SITUATION CRITICAL..... but not serious

I would advise against road casual work. You will be "extended" 4 days out on a regular basis. Might not work well with your school schedule.

joes bar and grill likes this.
  5. Triplex

No turn work available at his location? As a casual couldn't he decide when he'd be available and for what kind of runs?

troubleman84, albag and Elwood like this.
  6. Try'n Hard

Not sure about his location. In my conference If you run casual and take an extra board run you are subject to the same rules as full time driver's. You can be extended up to 4 days and further. 4 days if you stamp up (article 42) on your second bed point. As long as they want if you don't stamp your pay card. These days a 4 day run is the usual on the extra board. You can plug a turn but you'll probably spend most of your time babysitting the telephone.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  7. Elwood

Elwood Question Authority

Location and conference are imperative to provide best options available.

8. Jifflockk

Jifflockk Member

Road casuals used to be had the same rules as a regular Road driver. But times have changed and YRC is hard up for drivers. You can probably work anytime today or not you want to. There are no rules anymore

ROLLBACK likes this.
  9. mud

mud Wonderin' AD-FREE USER

I retired from Roadway (YRC) Albuquerque as a city combination
    dock and driver in June of 2009. Recently I ran into an old fellow
    Roadway worker. He had retired but went back to work at YRC
    as a casual dockworker. He told YRC that he could only work
    the Sunday midnight shift. He told me that YRC Abq was so hard
    up for workers , they were happy to have him just the one day a week.

troubleman84 and jimmy g like this.
  10. Triplex

Over the years I worked as a casual on many different jobs as both road and P&D. It was always my decision to be available for work whenever and however often I wanted. That's what "casual" means - no obligation on my part or on the companies part either.

11. truckinus

Not sure what they got going on. Maybe best to go ask? I am in Oklahoma City.

12. Try'n Hard

Until you accept a run on the extra board. After you do you are subject the same rules as any full time road driver. After you get back home you can take as much time off as you want but when you are on a dispatch you are subject to the exact same rules as full time drivers. Unless you take a bid run you can't demand a return run. This was resolved years ago. Extra board driver's with "special" needs violate the seniority of other driver's and it's not allowed.

troubleman84 and jimmy g like this.
  13. Triplex

There are different rules for different parts of the country no doubt. I never had a problem informing a job about what I was able to do and they were free to use me or not under those conditions. Never had an issue myself.

14. mysticobra

mysticobra Just here.

I have a question mud.
    Not to start anything.
    Just not informed.
    I heard years ago if you retired you couldn't work in the industry because it may take a job away from a "teamster". Lol. I quote that for chuckles.
    More power to you and us if we can.

15. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

MC, you are correct, here in the Carolinas under CSPF, you are limited to certain jobs you can work after retirement.

troubleman84 likes this.
  16. Triplex

Not exactly accurate seabreeze. Since the IRS says you have to start taking your pension at 70-1/2, you can work at a Teamster job all you want after that age.

jimmy g and seabreeze like this.
  17. mysticobra

mysticobra Just here.

Thanks for both responses.
    I guess it may be different in different areas.

18. clydesdale

clydesdale Well-Known Member

maybe Uber is what your looking for.

19. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

Don't remember anything about age, when I retired in 90, I recall CS said just certain jobs were allowed for employment.
    No argument here, I was just wondering about the guy coming back to Roadway if he was drawing a Teamster pension.
    I had a job offer at Yellow in 1990, told them only if they gave me my seniority, I was kicked out the door.

20. Triplex

Used to be you could not work in the same craft once you started to take your pension. Then some leeway was given by different locals when the driver shortage began. Usually the allowable days worked was limited though. In any case, after age 70-1/2 there is no limit since taking pension payments is then mandatory.

jimmy g and seabreeze like this.