SAIA | Is it true that SAIA will not hire ex union employees.

Hiiii

TB Lurker
Credits
I have applied at SAIA and as a back up also applied to a union barn that is severly understaffed

i have 8 years tractor trailer experience but non ltl. I also have a clean record.

If SAIA does not hire me can i accept a job at a union barn to gain ltl experience and apply at SAIA after a year.

Will this jeopardise my chances with SAIA since i have read here that SAIA avoids ex union.

I have done a month of research and i have read a lot more good then Bad on SAIA, so this is where i want to end up.

I appreciate all ypur advise.

Thanks.

You're going to probably receive a few different answers to this, but I think for the most part, Saia shys away from hiring ex union employees. Why is another question for another time.

Anyone know any other non union that is understaffed to get some ltl experience.
I am based out of Columbus, OH.

There is no such thing as needing LTL experience. I believe Saia requires I year of tractor trailer experience and certain endorsements but other than that, they will teach you what you need to know. Did you apply for Linehaul or City?

There is no such thing as needing LTL experience. I believe Saia requires I year of tractor trailer experience and certain endorsements but other than that, they will teach you what you need to know. Did you apply for Linehaul or City?
This is true. We hire our dock guys and we teach them to drive so I'm not sure what's up in your situation. If your young it would probably help but as long as your willing to learn and have some sort of humility and a good personality you should be fine. As far as being an ex-union guy it would be hard to say. We do have some but I'm not sure on that one.

I have applied at SAIA and as a back up also applied to a union barn that is severly understaffed

i have 8 years tractor trailer experience but non ltl. I also have a clean record.

If SAIA does not hire me can i accept a job at a union barn to gain ltl experience and apply at SAIA after a year.

Will this jeopardise my chances with SAIA since i have read here that SAIA avoids ex union.

I have done a month of research and i have read a lot more good then Bad on SAIA, so this is where i want to end up.

I appreciate all ypur advise.

Thanks.
You say you have a clean driving record but is it perfect. Perfect DAC .. CSA .. MVR .. No tickets at all? No criminal, not even a misdemeanor. Being perfect really helps a lot.

I will give it a week and then call SAIA to check on app.

Record is clean. Mvr, psp, dac, criminal and in early 30's

Only issue is i have been O/O with own authority for last 3 years and i would have to verify my own employment.

All depends on how desperate the terminal is for drivers at the time. Seems like it takes them forever to get this stuff done sometimes. I know for a fact that Columbus is looking for people right now because they are going to have to expand once the Northeast terminals open.

I was going to ask the question earlier... why would anyone with their own authority want to get into company driving?

Good question.

i have 2 trucks and will be selling them with the business.

I need more stability and better benefits.
The amount of work i have to do is just not worth it.

i work M - F and on weekends when i am home there is the truck and paperwork to worry about.

Take truck to shop (if needed), audit logs, send invoices, ifta, irp.

Also u r never off, always on call for any issues that arise with driver (shipper, lumper, receiver, dot)

Also have to spend time looking for freight which has nose dived but is recovering.

I could go on and on...

I dont want to discourage anyone thought, there is money to be made if you can be on top of everything (maintenace, driver, paperwork, freight(

What did someone post, that's 64 cents holding up 34 cents. There's a lot to be said for stability over uncertainty.