Is my idea realistic and practical?

44magM29

TB Lurker
Credits
Ok so let me start with a bit of back story. I've been looking to pick up one of those 5 ton military transports and after some research realized I was going to need a CDL to legally drive it. While researching I noticed I can pick up some damn nice AM General M920 semis for anywhere from 12000 to 20000 dollars. I almost have enough to buy one outright and that got me thinking. I was considering getting my CDL and then doing various runs on the weekends or whenever I could squeeze them in. I live in Indiana on the Illinois border and work around here seems to be fairly plentiful. I haven't really done my research into any permits I would be needing and I know that can vary depending on load and destination. Anyway, I was just wondering if this seems like a realistic possibility of generating a little extra income or if there's things I'm overlooking. I'll probably buy the truck either way since they're just cool and would help me out a lot since I have to haul cars now and then anyway... just wanted some input from those with experience in the industry. I'll appreciate any input.

i don't know if an employer will hire you fresh out of school for weekend runs, like you want, but if there is work in your particular area, then maybe you do have a shoot at it.

the military vehicles, are you planning on using them as road trucks..???

i am not familiar with military trucks and thier suspension systems, whether they be spring or air ride. i am sure they are built tougher than say an ordinary OTR truck, to withstand off road travel, and terrain, which might knock your teeth out.

now too comes repairs while on the road, and what shop may work on them.

i haven't ever seen or heard of anyone wanting to use military trucks for day to day trucking, but i have seen them in the woods, putting up electrical lines/poles and clearing away debris.

Ok, didn't even think about the type of suspension or finding places to work in them. My main draw to the military tucks were there durability. I'm well aware that they wouldn't be comfortable. In fact some of the main complaints about the particular model I'm looking at has been to excessive noise from engine, the winch rattling, etc. I'm mainly looking for function over form and durability so I don't have to drop a huge amount of money in maintenance. The main type of work I was hoping to get was just small free lance stuff. I've done a bit of checking and there are several scrap yards that pay literally anybody from what I've been told to haul scrap over to Indianapolis. Then just the other day a friend of mine told me about some website that have you bidding on transporting anything from people moving to a new house all the way up to heavy machinery for companies. I'm not looking to get hired on full time as of right now, I work full time and this would be a side gig with whatever I can pick up. I also thought having a CDL would at least be a good fall back if for some reason I ever lost my job, like I said, work for truck drivers is very plentiful around here and many hire with little to no experience and offer to train. Anyway, thanks for pointing out the suspension and servicing aspects of that particular truck.... looks like I have more reading to do.

Ok, didn't even think about the type of suspension or finding places to work in them. My main draw to the military tucks were there durability. I'm well aware that they wouldn't be comfortable. In fact some of the main complaints about the particular model I'm looking at has been to excessive noise from engine, the winch rattling, etc. I'm mainly looking for function over form and durability so I don't have to drop a huge amount of money in maintenance. The main type of work I was hoping to get was just small free lance stuff. I've done a bit of checking and there are several scrap yards that pay literally anybody from what I've been told to haul scrap over to Indianapolis. Then just the other day a friend of mine told me about some website that have you bidding on transporting anything from people moving to a new house all the way up to heavy machinery for companies. I'm not looking to get hired on full time as of right now, I work full time and this would be a side gig with whatever I can pick up. I also thought having a CDL would at least be a good fall back if for some reason I ever lost my job, like I said, work for truck drivers is very plentiful around here and many hire with little to no experience and offer to train. Anyway, thanks for pointing out the suspension and servicing aspects of that particular truck.... looks like I have more reading to do.

in no semblance of order...

first, do not go on thinking that you can "fall back on" trucking. if you don;t drive for a while, you may not get a job. reason being, it'll be thought that you lost your skills. many times, you WILL HAVE TO, go back to trucking school for a refresher course, on your dime....

now, too, you may not have that problem, but then you may not accumulate enough miles/experience as a "free lancer"....you may get paid on a 1099, the scrap yard can't give a flip about you and your past, so you may not get any "references" from them.

as far as the truck is concerned, you can (i suppose) change out the current air ride seat for a much more plusher one, but at a cost.

true, military vehicles are usually made to be "field fixed" quickly, but if a part breaks, what do you do then..??

also, some, not all military trucks have automatics, can you fix one of those..??

if you want to "free lance" on your weekends or day's off from your regular job, you may make out better buying a real truck, used of course.

hey, do whatever, it's not my back or neck, or bones, or teeth that'll rattle outta me....

just beware....the LONGER you think that you can "fall back" on trucking, once you get that license, the more you are dreaming..drive, and stay a driver. some companies may not even give you the time of day, if you pull up to thier office, in a military rig, over a "real truck", looking for work, and ain't been driving for as little as 6 months, since your last driving job.

military trucks serve only 2 purposes..

1) in the military as what they were intended to work as...

2) restored and ridden in parades, or in a large garage with other finely restored vehicles.

good luck

Doesn't look practical to me. Things to consider: fuel mileage, finding parts specific to that truck, fifth wheel height, manuvering in tight places.
You'd be better off buying a used tractor more suited for highway use that's in your price range.