ODFL | Is OD worth working for?

I wish my husband would go to OD. His friends have been trying to get him to join them there for years. Hubby doesn't want the commute to the terminal. I told him I was willing to sell the house and move closer. That was a few years ago. He likes our neighborhood and wanted to stay put. If CT ends up being awful, he may be motivated to relocate finally.

60hr week at Vitran = 1267 a week
60hr week at OD = 1458 a week

50hr week at Vitran = 975
50hr week at OD = 1215

40hr week at Vitran = 780
40hr week at OD = 972

This is top pay vs top pay... OT would be nice, but...

One other thing to consider is if you actually see overtime. When I worked at other ltl's they made sure you never saw it....

At Vitran LVL it's easy to get to 60hrs if you want it...when Central Transport takes us over, how knows.. I'd rather see 40-50hrs a week personally..

60hr week at Vitran = 1267 a week
60hr week at OD = 1458 a week

50hr week at Vitran = 975
50hr week at OD = 1215

40hr week at Vitran = 780
40hr week at OD = 972

This is top pay vs top pay... OT would be nice, but...
. I'm not talking just a few dollars here. The good news is your OD numbers are alow

Unless Louisville has a different top rate your numbers are wrong,.

To each his own as they say. I worked at OD for years. I've been gone from there for six years now. It was a good company. I just don't find it fair that they expect to keep you away from your family for that long and not pay OT. They aren't the only one though, Southeastern does it too. I just got tired of making $120 less a week for the 50 hours I put in versus my fellow LTL employees at other outfits. For the record I'm not Union. What is the top pay now, $24? Thats a fair wage but look how much they get over on you and I once we hit fourty. I'm sure as they get bigger they will come around. However if that isn't an issue for you I say go for it. They are a decent company.

Foot in the door.. I've accepted a part time position at OD. Full time should come by March..

Part Time is just to cover themselves during those few slow weeks, I'll bet if you're willing and able you'll be hitting close to 40 or over a lot of weeks. Welcome aboard mate!!

If everything comes back good, i.e. back ground, drug screen, etc.. I'll be at the terminal in Louisville Ky.. I'm excited and nervous, but I know this is the right move. Central is really struggling with this merger, the fallout could be catastrophic in Louisville if we lose anymore account, 1 in particular.. I gotta move now. The timing is right.

Thanks for the warm welcomes! Looking forward to joining the team.

From some of these posts, it sounds like you guys work those hours too.

This is my opinion only, I run line so I do not get paid by the hour, but for anyone to work that many hours that's plain dumb. I did work a job where I ran my 70 Monday thru Friday it sucked. There is more to life than work and if you have set yourself up financially to where you have to work these hours then sucks to be you. Like I said my opinion only and I do not look down on anyone who works many hours, it is just not worth it whether you get paid OT or not.

This is my opinion only, I run line so I do not get paid by the hour, but for anyone to work that many hours that's plain dumb. I did work a job where I ran my 70 Monday thru Friday it sucked. There is more to life than work and if you have set yourself up financially to where you have to work these hours then sucks to be you. Like I said my opinion only and I do not look down on anyone who works many hours, it is just not worth it whether you get paid OT or not.

Long hours are sometimes not by choice. Its the nature of the type of work we do. I doubt that in linehaul you put in just 8 hours per day.

Long hours are sometimes not by choice. Its the nature of the type of work we do. I doubt that in linehaul you put in just 8 hours per day.

You are right it is not always by choice, you are also right I average about 10 to 11 hours a day. I have the difference explained in my head but when I go to type it it does not come out well. There is a difference to working overtime and working the hours that you signed up for. i.e. long line runs. Like I said it sounds better in my head.:1sm057crazy:

It's all relative... That is, for me, I'm coming from Central Transport going to OD...overtime or not, my situation is going to improve...is it a perfect move?? Maybe, maybe not.. My application is floating around at a few other companies...if they offer OT and full time straight away, I will have to consider those offers as they come. As of this second, OD has been nice enough to give me a chance, I'm excited to get started with them.