ODFL | Is OD worth working for?

It's all relative... That is, for me, I'm coming from Central Transport going to OD...overtime or not, my situation is going to improve...is it a perfect move?? Maybe, maybe not.. My application is floating around at a few other companies...if they offer OT and full time straight away, I will have to consider those offers as they come. As of this second, OD has been nice enough to give me a chance, I'm excited to get started with them.
you will not regret it at all my friend

It's all relative... That is, for me, I'm coming from Central Transport going to OD...overtime or not, my situation is going to improve...is it a perfect move?? Maybe, maybe not.. My application is floating around at a few other companies...if they offer OT and full time straight away, I will have to consider those offers as they come. As of this second, OD has been nice enough to give me a chance, I'm excited to get started with them.

Just dont go to Con-way. While tiers above central, this place dishes out so much crap. Saw my friend that left us at con-way and running line for OD a few days ago. Running miles on top of miles, pulling triples and loving the work environment he said. Here, he was nothing but a forklift operator, who drove on occasion with a crappy schedule. Our big money Carlin meet that it takes 25 yrs at my barn to get, he does multiple times a week. I hate to sound like a cheerleader, but stick it out there. Ill take job satisfaction over a few bucks in overtime pay anyday.

Con-Way has never really been on my radar. Guess I'm neutral on them, I've heard equal amounts of good and bad about them. Paying your dues I think is normal there...pound you hard for awhile but slack off once enough guys get below ya. That's what I hear about there louisville ky hub.

I had some guys I know at OD, they helped paved the way for me. They like the job, atmosphere, co workers.. I have zero reservations about tossing CT aside to head to OD.

Dayton is the only other co that might give me pause if the called me with OT and full time...I'd have to interview just to see.

Con-Way has never really been on my radar. Guess I'm neutral on them, I've heard equal amounts of good and bad about them. Paying your dues I think is normal there...pound you hard for awhile but slack off once enough guys get below ya. That's what I hear about there louisville ky hub.

I had some guys I know at OD, they helped paved the way for me. They like the job, atmosphere, co workers.. I have zero reservations about tossing CT aside to head to OD.

Dayton is the only other co that might give me pause if the called me with OT and full time...I'd have to interview just to see.
I left my old company because i moved out of state. It was a great small family owned company. I was upset about several decisions they made in 2009 and 10 but in the big picture it was the best job i had ever had. Decent pay and Benefits owner even knew me by first names.I said all that so you can get a feel for what i mean when i say, i still have never regretted coming to OD. Knowing what o know now, even though i was happy, i would have left them in NC to come to OD. It is a great company.

Talk'd to a Vitran/central driver from Charlotte this morning when I stopped for breakfast.He was heading back home.I ask'd him how the new employer was going.He just shook his head.He was not happy.He said he was looking.But,he was just stuck.I did tell him to stop into CLT OD to fill out App.When we start'd talking pay.I just about fell out in the parking lot when he said how much he was making&driving that old brokedown crap.WOW!!!!!!fill bless'd every time I hear the horror stories.

You are making a good choice by coming to OD, hang in there and you will not regret it.

A little over 20 years ago I started working for OD, that's also the same time I became rich!!!

While pay was much less back then, always stayed busy. Nowadays I barely need to put in the same hours I use to and pull in a good paycheck each week. Traveled the world, allowed me to marry a moody wife, own nice reliable vehicles, cookie cutter house paid for and even a little change in the bank for a rainy day. OD made it possible!

Just livin' the dream!!;~)
A little over 20 years ago I started working for OD, that's also the same time I became rich!!!

While pay was much less back then, always stayed busy. Nowadays I barely need to put in the same hours I use to and pull in a good paycheck each week. Traveled the world, allowed me to marry a moody wife, own nice reliable vehicles, cookie cutter house paid for and even a little change in the bank for a rainy day. OD made it possible!

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm glad there is a great company out there to work for. I've always wanted to work for OD but I've never applied there. Been to scared to because of my work history. I've never been fired and I never been in a accident or tickets just hrs get cut or tired of being treated like crap and lied to. I also moved to. Where I'm working now I pull a flatbed doing 20 plus stops a day. They want use to do that many in 8 hrs. I can't doing especially when we have to tarp because of weather. I get paid over time but it will take me like 5 years to get over 21 a hr. Also all the strapping and re strapping I don't know how long my shoulder is going to hold out.

There not hiring right now here in MN but spring time I've thought about it. I know OD is hard but after reading this thread sounds like it'll be worth the effort. I would really like to get on linehaul but I can't be out all week long because I'm a single parent.

Finished paper work today, now dropping of my drug screen receipt back to LOU's TM.. Gonna do the driving test this week sometime, they have to schedule it... Guessing it'll happen Weds or Thurs... Then we wait for background to come through.

Best part is, I've learned that one of my old friends is buddies with OD's TM, and the guy giving me my road test is same one that helped me get the first interview. The rails are greased for me. About damn time something good happens! :)

It would be the best move you could make. There's a reason why 99% of us are happy. It's because we get treated good, and like an asset. One thing is true in all of life, attitude is everything. And spreads like wildfire! You take a company full of happy employess, and that company will perform well. Because its employess are performing well. Sure, you will always get the occassional employee with burnt toast. And no matter what you do, you will never please them. But the rest of us enjoy where we work. The thing you gotta remember is, it's easy to become unhappy. Takes more work to have a positive outlook. All of us remember jobs we've had in the past that were way worse than our worst day doing what we do now. so, in response to your question, Yes, OD is a great place to work. Yes, they have good pay and benifits. Yes, the fellow employees you will work with will help you transition, and have good attitudes, and are easy to get along with. Make the move, don't wait any longer!! Oh, btw, there's a reason why it's so hard to get on at OD. It's because they only hire good, quality employees. Make the jump!!