SAIA | Is Saia a good company to drive for?

double duty

TB Lurker
Credits
I recently applied with Saia and I was wondering;are they a good company to work for?I live about 75 miles away from the nearest terminal(Lexington,Ky) so city driver wouldn't be for me so maybe system would be.Been driving for 12 yrs in truck load and want to go LTL.Do system drivers get home often,whats the start pay,do drivers stay in trucks or motel?Any answers would be great!And is Saia union or non-union.I prefer non-union.Thanks in advance.DD:smilie_132:

I recently applied with Saia and I was wondering;are they a good company to work for?I live about 75 miles away from the nearest terminal(Lexington,Ky) so city driver wouldn't be for me so maybe system would be.Been driving for 12 yrs in truck load and want to go LTL.Do system drivers get home often,whats the start pay,do drivers stay in trucks or motel?Any answers would be great!And is Saia union or non-union.I prefer non-union.Thanks in advance.DD:smilie_132:

First, all companies have their good and bad points and a lot depends on how the individual is treated as to how they view the company.

System drivers obviously don't have a regular schedule and away from home time varies. Sometimes the available freight may dictate a turn instead of a laydown. Sometimes one might go to another region and wind up working all week in another region before going home. The company does try to get us home for at least part of the weekend. I have been away from home all week within the region before also. It all depends on what is happening at other terminals.

With freight being as slow as it is now, home time should not be an issue.

When we do laydown's we mostly use motels. A few of the terminals have a bunk house. The only ones who use sleeper trucks are team drivers.

As for starting pay I believe it is in the .40+ per mile range (mid to high 40's) and one reaches full pay after 18 months. If that is incorrect I'm certain someone will have the correct info.

Saia is a non union company.

Hope this info is helpful to you and good luck on your application.

SAIA owns you (once your hired) for 70 hours a week. Keep in mind that SAIA can and will terminate you if you choose to use the ill & fatigued driver "excuse" in order to rest, catch a breath or go pee.

SAIA owns you (once your hired) for 70 hours a week. Keep in mind that SAIA can and will terminate you if you choose to use the ill & fatigued driver "excuse" in order to rest, catch a breath or go pee.

Now you can't be serious?That sounds pretty hardcore.

Our line haul guy(s) don't/cant stop for lunch although they are still having it deducted from thier hourly time.

Most of our newbie city drivers are also working through their lunches and still having it deducted from their time card even though they dont take their lunch.

Want a day off? Need to get off early? good luck with that.

DD, Here in Dallas I like it. Never had a problem getting a day off when I NEED it. I don't know what he's talking about having lunch deducted from line drivers, never had that happen either. Usually have plenty of time on the runs I run. Only time I had anyone say I was late was an uptight TM in FTS. It was my first week here, and I was late, but the directions printed out for me were wrong so, no sweat. I would talk to the Saia line drivers in your area, they could tell you better for up there.:1036316054::1036316054:

By far, the best ltl job in Charlotte area. 40 or so city drivers and 31 road drivers. Don't seem to here these problems of Saia ''owning '' you. They certainly don't own me. As far as taking a break. It's the law. Have never heard of it being an issue here in CLT. Never heard of it being an issue with linehaul either.A road driver could take a break whenever he wanted. We don't have satellite tracking. I stop whenever I want. Would encourage you to read all these opinions before making a decision.

nervous wreck... they are killing me!!!! just left the comedy zone here in jax. going to sleep for about 12... had to dragme out of hooters in glf yesterday to sleep in that rat hole.... not!!!! guys, weve got it real good.dont let them fool ya!!!!!

Maybe, just perhaps the issues I listed are local TM or DM issues!? Sure would be nice to know how the rest of the company operates...were still working 11-13 hour days (I have a 'log' waiting to be filled out on monday) and they are cutting drivers. We leave the terminal late (city driver) because our trailers aren't loaded but they cut the dock workers!? Apparently its because "the computer told them to!?"

I thought some of those replies sounded pretty extreme.I know where I work at (Schneider) things get pretty aggravating at times.And at other times its ok.

"Our line haul guy(s) don't/cant stop for lunch although they are still having it deducted from thier hourly time."

"Maybe, just perhaps the issues I listed are local TM or DM issues!? Sure would be nice to know how the rest of the company operates...were still working 11-13 hour days (I have a 'log' waiting to be filled out on monday) and they are cutting drivers. We leave the terminal late (city driver) because our trailers aren't loaded but they cut the dock workers!? Apparently its because "the computer told them to!?" "

If linehaul drivers are working enough to qualify for a lunch break then they are not only doing their own job, but somebody elses as well. Either case if a driver works more than 6 hours a lunch break (30 min) will be deducted from the hours.

Yes, that is how the entire company operates. The numbers dictate that only so many hourly employees are to be on duty for the amount of freight available to deliver. The remaining employees have to make up the difference. That policy comes from corporate.

IF YOU WORK THE CITY AND DON’T GET A LUNCH THEN THAT’S THE DRIVERS FAULT! Its company policy for all hourly employees that work over 4 hours get a lunch!! If they are not letting you take a lunch a call to the corporate office HR would fix that REAL QUICK!! I have never in the city or line haul had a problem getting a lunch!! In line haul and late and asked why just reply took a lunch and walk off!! If the terminal manager wants to press the issue then just ask to make a 3 way call to HR in Atlanta!! If you know the rules and know them well they will leave you alone!!

nervous wreck... they are killing me!!!! just left the comedy zone here in jax. going to sleep for about 12... had to dragme out of hooters in glf yesterday to sleep in that rat hole.... not!!!! guys, weve got it real good.dont let them fool ya!!!!!

:nutkick:Come on up north---see how great you have it--The terminals down south drivers are treated like kings--up north--treated like stray dogs.

IF YOU WORK THE CITY AND DON’T GET A LUNCH THEN THAT’S THE DRIVERS FAULT! Its company policy for all hourly employees that work over 4 hours get a lunch!! If they are not letting you take a lunch a call to the corporate office HR would fix that REAL QUICK!! I have never in the city or line haul had a problem getting a lunch!! In line haul and late and asked why just reply took a lunch and walk off!! If the terminal manager wants to press the issue then just ask to make a 3 way call to HR in Atlanta!! If you know the rules and know them well they will leave you alone!!

The point is that the terminal schedules a driver's workload. If one is to keep the boss's boot out of yer butt, something has to give.

Now official policy is that everyone that works over _____ hours (you fill in the blank) gets a lunch break(deducted from your total hours for the day). In practical terms of getting deliveries accomplished and pickups made the driver is expected to make the sacrifice to accomplish what ever number corporate comes up with.

You can be guaranteed that if you ask the corporate managers that they will tote the line that "everyone is supposed to take a lunch break", but in terms of what is actually expected it is another matter entirely.

If those trailers aren't loaded to the max on deliveries, then the dock is expected to put more freight on the trailer even if it means the driver will be held up beginning the deliveries. The earlier the start time the more the dogpiling.
The dispatcher doesn't give the driver any less pickups just because the driver hasn't had his lunch break. In fact the numbers look better the more the drivers have to do.

It's no different than having to deal with the FTS and VCT terminal managers wanting to know why a linehaul driver is late coming to their terminals.

I have had FTS, VCT, CCI ask me why I was late!! I looked right at them and said took a lunch and we get 30 to 90 minutes for lunch then asked where they wanted the trailer!! After they answered what door I walked off!! A terminal manager in ABL asked a buddy why he was late and he told him he took a hour nap!! The terminal manager didn’t like that so he told him next time he could come get the truck and freight out of the ditch!! The terminal manager said “NO NO if your tired its ok take a nap!”

:nutkick:Come on up north---see how great you have it--The terminals down south drivers are treated like kings--up north--treated like stray dogs.

I have been up north and it is different for sure!! I had to put a lady in Omaha and a guy in Chicago in there place!! After I was done both were pissed but I knew the rules and I was right!! The lady in Omaha thought she was going to walk all over me!! The drivers out of that terminal said you better watch out she is going to get you!! When all was said and done she sat there all red faced and embarrassed and not one word from any of the drivers in the room!!

That depends on the terminal and the route. The smaller terminals have mostly inbound freight and will make more deliveries than pickups. When I was in the city it was nothing unusual to have 14 del stops and 6-10 pickup stops (regulars and call ins combined). Of course if the regular check didn't have freight that stop didn't count,even you went by.