SAIA | Is Saia a good company to drive for?

:funky:damn,from what im reading ive got it goooooooood in so calif. i take my breaks when i want them,a nap if needed,coffee break is a must,when i want a day off,no problem..this will be my 10yr anniv here....life is goooooooood..line driven in ca-nv-ariz-ut...ya baby see ya:smilie_132:

you think you could migrate some of that good stuff east? I heard you guys get paid for everything you do instead of a little of this and a little of that.

been up north to cin and ind and cny.... and sat around 18 to 19 hours on long layover... did i like it no! did i get paid yes! they are all for the most part good people trying to adapt to a new system, give them a chance.... or look else where...saia is a damn good company, they just expect the best in return from their employees.... not brownnosing.... just the way it is!!!!!

:funky:damn,from what im reading ive got it goooooooood in so calif. i take my breaks when i want them,a nap if needed,coffee break is a must,when i want a day off,no problem..this will be my 10yr anniv here....life is goooooooood..line driven in ca-nv-ariz-ut...ya baby see ya:smilie_132:

scout, its the same here in DLS for the most part!! Once and a while you go to a small terminal and get a gung ho terminal manager!! The thing is they are not over us central dispatch is over line drivers!! Most terminal managers have nothing to do except mess with people and watch the dust accumulate around the office!! Once and a while you might catch one standing outside watching the grass grow!!:Zzzz::sleep:

Just curious here................What is the top rate for city drivers and road drivers? What type of benefits do you enjoy?? Medical,Dental,Eyeglasses, etc and how much out of pocket per week do they cost?? All in all if someone was going to relocate in your opinion is Saia the place to be??

Thanks,JR:1036316054:

Just curious here................What is the top rate for city drivers and road drivers? What type of benefits do you enjoy?? Medical,Dental,Eyeglasses, etc and how much out of pocket per week do they cost?? All in all if someone was going to relocate in your opinion is Saia the place to be??

Thanks,JR:1036316054:

city drivers top out at around $21 per hour, linehaul tops out at $0.525 per mile with $6 for a van drop and $9 for pups. i think i pay about $50 per week out of pocket, but i'm so injury prone i got all of the supplemental, long term disability, death and dismemberment, etc, etc. all employees are given free short term disablity. overall i enjoy my job...i'm the bottom man on the linehaul chart so i work the dock for 5 hours then drive to CLT. it all depends on the location and the terminal manager as to whether it's worth the move or not. hope that helps you out

city drivers top out at around $21 per hour, linehaul tops out at $0.525 per mile with $6 for a van drop and $9 for pups. i think i pay about $50 per week out of pocket, but i'm so injury prone i got all of the supplemental, long term disability, death and dismemberment, etc, etc. all employees are given free short term disablity. overall i enjoy my job...i'm the bottom man on the linehaul chart so i work the dock for 5 hours then drive to CLT. it all depends on the location and the terminal manager as to whether it's worth the move or not. hope that helps you out
Thank You!

5 hours on the dock i guess all these companies are looking to make there drivers dock workers.......

In DLS I don't think we have a bid run that works the dock anywhere. Occasionally a system driver will have to strip a trlr to get an empty at a dark terminal but thats it.

out of the 11 or 12 runs in GVL, only 3 involve dock work on a regular basis. i will hopefully get off the dock soon though...the company doctor said hostling trailers and working the dock are about the worst things to do if i want my knee to heal.

city drivers top out at around $21 per hour, linehaul tops out at $0.525 per mile with $6 for a van drop and $9 for pups. i think i pay about $50 per week out of pocket, but i'm so injury prone i got all of the supplemental, long term disability, death and dismemberment, etc, etc. all employees are given free short term disablity.

If one can endure or make it until your 10 year anniversary, the health insurance is paid for by the company.

scout, its the same here in DLS for the most part!! Once and a while you go to a small terminal and get a gung ho terminal manager!! The thing is they are not over us central dispatch is over line drivers!! Most terminal managers have nothing to do except mess with people and watch the dust accumulate around the office!! Once and a while you might catch one standing outside watching the grass grow!!:Zzzz::sleep:

A-M-E-N. That is a pretty accurate description!!:hysterical::hysterical::

:nutkick:Come on up north---see how great you have it--The terminals down south drivers are treated like kings--up north--treated like stray dogs.

Yup, Chuck W treats his region like he owns them. I have tried to think of better ways to explain it, but i cannot. Make no mistake, I am not a lazy driver, I was hired after Saia bought Connection. But this place works you to death.

I'll briefly describe what i saw just a few days ago. City driver from another terminal spent the week at a different terminal helping out. Friday on his way home, linehaul had him stop by this terminal on his way home to drop and pick up his terminals freight. Dispatcher told him he needed him to work the dock before he went home. This was 9pm at night and the city driver told him he already spent the day doing P&D at the other terminal, and still had to goto his terminal through really bad weather(he was right) and if he left in 15min, when he got home it would be 14 hours. Our dispatcher told him to hold on a sec, went and talked to Chuck, Chuck told him to use his 16 hour rule and to work the dock for 2 hours.

This is coming from the Reg Manager.

Its crazy here, no doubt.

Our line haul guy(s) don't/cant stop for lunch although they are still having it deducted from thier hourly time.

Most of our newbie city drivers are also working through their lunches and still having it deducted from their time card even though they dont take their lunch.

Want a day off? Need to get off early? good luck with that.
Wow..Sounds like Conway!

Yup, Chuck W treats his region like he owns them. I have tried to think of better ways to explain it, but i cannot. Make no mistake, I am not a lazy driver, I was hired after Saia bought Connection. But this place works you to death.

I'll briefly describe what i saw just a few days ago. City driver from another terminal spent the week at a different terminal helping out. Friday on his way home, linehaul had him stop by this terminal on his way home to drop and pick up his terminals freight. Dispatcher told him he needed him to work the dock before he went home. This was 9pm at night and the city driver told him he already spent the day doing P&D at the other terminal, and still had to goto his terminal through really bad weather(he was right) and if he left in 15min, when he got home it would be 14 hours. Our dispatcher told him to hold on a sec, went and talked to Chuck, Chuck told him to use his 16 hour rule and to work the dock for 2 hours.

That was a blatant violation of the hours of service rule and misuse of the 16 hour exception. If that driver had kept documentation of the incident (date, time, names of individuals involved) he could file a complaint and then Chucky would be
:chairshot:

Just in case Chucky needs to refresh his failing memory:

E. 16-HOUR EXCEPTION
E-1. What is a "duty tour" as the term is used in Part § 395.1(o)?

The 16-hour exemption in § 395.1(o) is designed for one-day "duty tours." The duty tour is the interval between the time a driver comes on-duty and is released from duty on a daily basis. This period begins and ends at the driver's normal work reporting location and may only be used following 10 or more consecutive hours off-duty, 10 or more consecutive hours in the sleeper berth, or a combination of 10 or more consecutive hours off-duty and sleeper berth time.

This quote is courtesy of fmcsa.dot.gov.

Now since the driver was returning to his home terminal from the terminal where he was helping, he was in the same status as a full time linehaul driver who does not start and end his tour of duty at the same point.

Was this in Indy? Cause this happened in indy to me last friday. I would of argued with Terry a little more but I don't like to cause a scene. I just like to come in do my job and go home. I did at the time think it was legal, but I guess not.

Was this in Indy? Cause this happened in indy to me last friday. I would of argued with Terry a little more but I don't like to cause a scene. I just like to come in do my job and go home. I did at the time think it was legal, but I guess not.

why is it not legal?...he is allowed to use a 16 hour rule in a 7 day period. as long as he hadn't used it already then he should be legal.