ABF | Is the grass greener at Dallas?

truckinus

TB Veteran
Credits
I've got a couple friends currently employed at Roadway and have recently applied at ABF in Dallas. Do you guys have it any better over there. I have heard very little about ABF. I heard of one guy that went over a while back and came back to Roadway. That didn't sound too good? I can basically run as hard as I want so I'm happy, but a lot of guys can't stand running sleepers so I see their desire to run solo.

glad I didn't get sucked into going to ABF. my friend got layed off. That has to suck, but what did he expect. Wonder if he'll get called back anytime soon?

glad I didn't get sucked into going to ABF. my friend got layed off. That has to suck, but what did he expect. Wonder if he'll get called back anytime soon?

As long as he is on layoff, you know that his job here is secure, as long as he comes back when they call. I'm sure if he's found other employment, he might not come back, and that is a loss for the company. I suppose that your friend will have to decide. All in all, even though we exchange pokes:Poke:from time to time, this company isn't half bad to work for.

They need to remember Stubbys family first program is no longer in place. OUR family is first, not Trucker Bobs fellow employee family.

You also have to keep in mind that "starting over" is staring over, from the bottom of the seniority list. When changing jobs, timing is everything.

I've got a couple friends currently employed at Roadway and have recently applied at ABF in Dallas. Do you guys have it any better over there. I have heard very little about ABF. I heard of one guy that went over a while back and came back to Roadway. That didn't sound too good? I can basically run as hard as I want so I'm happy, but a lot of guys can't stand running sleepers so I see their desire to run solo.

You said you are happy and you can run an much as you want and you know we make the same money and you know if you come over here you go to the bottom and you WON'T be able to run a hard as you want because you are at the bottom.
What is the question?
If you weren't working very much or you hated the sleepers I could understand your questions.
Are you asking for Friends of yours?
This is a bad time to be looking for a job in LTL.
I love it over here but 2 each his own.
Like Mikey said timing is important when moving.

truckinusa, I'm sure he'll get called back as soon as business levels require him to be called back. No company is immune from layoffs or reduced hours in this business and as you know, it's all seniority based.

ABF is a good company. You didn't get lucky in not going there, you got lucky in going to a barn where your seniority worked out better for you than him. The shoe could have very easily been on the other foot.

truckinusa, I'm sure he'll get called back as soon as business levels require him to be called back. No company is immune from layoffs or reduced hours in this business and as you know, it's all seniority based.

ABF is a good company. You didn't get lucky in not going there, you got lucky in going to a barn where your seniority worked out better for you than him. The shoe could have very easily been on the other foot.

I'm guessing a 90 man board is just more prone to layoffs than a 300 man board at Roadway. When he was running he seemed to always get in a good run. I don't really like our single man runs at Roadway because they are either short at 400 miles or they are a lot of work and 600 miles. Wish they had more runs in the 500 mile range. I'm just picky I guess. I'd rather go out for a couple of days on a sleeper run and save the gas. I only live 30 miles from work though.