Is the ORD terminal actually busy?

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by bubs, Sep 10, 2016.

1. bubs

bubs Active Member

I just want to hear you guys confirm that if I'm offered a posotion at the Des Planes, IL (ORD?) I will be busy and not once again working the dock for weeks on end. It's already happened twice and I'm leery about switching jobs again. I hate starting at a new place but 40hrs on the dock isn't enough for me to live on. I'd be line hail btw. Thanks

2. MDWdock

MDWdock New Member

ORD is one of the busiest terminals in the Dayton system, roughly averaging 1400 bills per day as of now. I've never heard of a line haul driver working the dock at Dayton, and I know most line haul drivers at my terminal (MDW) get nearly 50-60 hours per week. Do you already work at Dayton at another terminal or would this be your first job with the company?

3. bubs

bubs Active Member

No, I work for another ltl currently. Thanks man.

4. MDWdock

MDWdock New Member

I think you'll really enjoy it there, hope you become part of the Dayton Difference! Good luck.

5. bubs

bubs Active Member

Thanks man. I'm just really discouraged and skeptical from my experience at two previous carriers. I detest changing jobs again but I don't see another viable option. I'm in a black hole where the company doesn't have work for me because outside contractors are hauling all the extra stuff and they can't lay me off while they are doing this.
    Second interview on Monday, hopefully I get some good news in this next week

coondogg likes this.
  6. MDWdock

MDWdock New Member

What carriers did you work for if you don't mind me asking?
    Line haul drivers flat out do not work the dock. P/D drivers do not work the dock on outbound, and they rarely do on inbound. They have full and part time non-CDL dock workers to work the dock.
    Also, the company is very generous with pay. You get raises after your first and second year, as well as a cost of living raise every May. They pay kids without forklift experience $18 an hour to work the dock to start, I think line haul starts at .51 - .55 a mile. Not sure.

7. bubs

bubs Active Member

I've worked for a few. Ups Freight and central transport work the less senior drivers on the dock quite a bit. Pitt Ohio kind of does but really doesn't have enough forklifts. They have a weird system. Holland mostly does not have you work the dock unless you have a specific bid that involves it. You're actually not allowed to even hook your trailer or placard at quite a few yards. City drivers do almost all the dockwork

8. MDWdock

MDWdock New Member

I used to work the dock at holland and many many drivers worked the dock. Mostly senior guys who chose dock work via their bid or the p/d drivers low on seniority list. No drivers work the dock at my Dayton terminal, except very rarely on inbound, and it's sort of optional. But those are p/d guys that load up their trailers before they go out for delivery. The line haul guys at Dayton just show up and do their run/drop then come back to the terminal and go home. At least at my terminal that's what they do, and my terminal and ORD are almost the same. Same area, about the same bill count per day, etc. I could see some drivers having to work the dock at very very small terminals where they have very little to no dock workers, but again it would probably be p/d drivers. Also I looked at the official pay scale and there are three raises, it starts at .52 and tops out at .60 after two years.

icuicp and coondogg like this.
  9. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Are you sure? We start higher and top out @ $.63 in my neck of the woods. I thought pay was consistent throughout the system, but I could be wrong.

As far as dock work is concerned, I've heard a very small number of drivers will occasionally unload a few skids off the tail of their trailer at a dark terminal. But they basically don't want drivers to get in the way on the docks. I know of very few linehaul drivers who even touch a forklift, and most who do are doing so by choice.

10. Birdman07

Birdman07 Keep turnin

Yeah that's last years pay scale. It's higher now, the .63 is the top out as of now and it's company wide.

icuicp and coondogg like this.