SAIA | Is This A Good Company?

I guess it would depend on your definition. The majority of the drivers have been here for a long time. So that is a good indication. I know we have been adding positions especially in the West and South West. SheetClimber, BrotherTrucker and Nevouswreck could give you there opinion from a driver’s standpoint.

Good company to work for. Get all the miles I want, sometimes more than I want. Real good money, pretty good benefits. Keep your nose clean and nobody will mess with you. Brothertrucker can probablly tell you more specifically since he's out of Texas. Good luck.

I work city during the week and volunteer for linehaul on weekends. Plenty of hours (I average 52-55+ per week). I see loads leaving here all hours of the day. Lotsa team drivers in the a.m. and lotsa singles in the p.m after the freight starts getting in from the city.

All truck drivers gripe and complain and SAIA is no exception. It seems to be a hobby.

I can say that at DLS we have had plenty of city drivers change over to linehaul, so there seems to be something there. Myself, I'm not really interested in starting over in the bottom of the senority roster as I'm in the top 10 in my department. On top of that I like sleeping at night. I would have a difficult time turning my internal clock around by 12 or so hours.

I can say that what nervous says is true. Behave yourself especially in the first 90 days (probationary period) and you will do fine. If you are an experienced road driver you will essentially be learning how the system works as well as what and how the paperwork is done. All the rest is general knowledge. One thing though, I hope you have pulled doubles. We run very few vans over the road. If not, that will be an interesting part of the training period.

As for the benefits, you would have to judge for yourself as to whether or not they meet you and your family's needs. One nice thing that is done for the employees is after your 10 year anniversary your health insurance premiums are completely covered by the company. That is really great if you have a young family.

Alas, my two pups are out of high school and one no longer qualifies for the insurance.

Hope this helps

Well, it helps me some. I'm looking into this company as well, however, thier website does not list CPM, or anything wage/benefits/etc wise. Any help here would be appreciated.

My wife and I are going to go to truck driving school mid July. Thanks!

Dave

Salary is based on where you are terminal for city drivers. It has to do with the cost of hiring drivers, supply and demand, and the coast of living in the area. It cost more to live in the Bay area than it does Homa, Louisiana. Line Haul and Team Drivers are paid mileage and that is consistent through out the system. Line hauls starts at $0.4475 per mile and teams start at $0.4675 per mile.
Benefits include Medical, prescription, dental and vision coverage. A 401k plan with a match, Paid Vacation and holidays, 5 personal days per year, short and long term disability protection, life insurance and an employee stock purchase plan.

nebhyper, unfortunately, I don't think Saia will hire you out of truck driving school. I think they require at least 2 yrs experience. Anyway, impressive ribbons. Thanks for your service.

Sadly, I have 0 experience. I did not drive in the military. I flew(AKA sent commands to) satellites in support of the operations listed in my signature and SEVERAL others I can't mention. :cool:

But, sadly, I have no driving experience with the military. Though I did spend 5 years working on a farm driving tractors with up to 2 trailers attached loaded 20 feet or so high with straw and hay bails. As well as other farm equipment. Though no license is required for driving farm equipment, atleast in Ohio.

We both have clean driving records. (I had a speeding ticket in 1997 or 98, wife had a speeding ticket and an accident not her fault about the same time.) No DUIs, no nothing. (I have a Government Security Clearance so if you know anything about them you can't have one without having clean records.)

But if you do no hirer right out of truck driving school, I'll have to look at my number 2 pick U.S. Xpress.

P.S.
Anyway, impressive ribbons. Thanks for your service.

You, and everyother LEGAL citzen of this country is more than welcome. If you ever want to know what each one is just ask. The one in the middle with the purple, is the Humaniratian Ribbon, To the left of it is the Support ribbon for the Global War on Terrorism, to the right of the purple one is the Combined Air And Space Campaign ribbon....

I spent 4 years active duty Air Force and have since switched to active Air Froce Reserves (1 weekend a month + 15 days a year).

Which I hope will not be an issue with any company that wants to hire me.

Thanks,
Dave