SAIA | Is this the next Technology Saia will implement?

I will start worring when they can program a truck to back itself into a dock and between trailers. If that was possible that should be the first concern. There are tons of newer drivers now that have a nearly impossible time learning that....

lol thats not going to be very difficult at all. In the near term, when a driverless truck shows up at a terminal, and yard jockey will break the set and put the front trailer on the dock. Eventually you wont need that. New terminals will be built to accommodate autonomous trucks.

City driving will be around for quite some time. Linehaul/OTR drivers are in trouble.

Chiz, you can't have a trucking company without having insurance. Who is going to sell an insurance policy, to a company, that tries to operate driverless trucks?

Aside from savings on labor, safety is the other big driving force towards autonomous vehicles. Technology isnt there yet, but when it gets there these trucks will be much safer tahn human drivers. Trucks dont text/eat/fall asleep while driving.

Insurance companies will love driverless trucks.

I dont think you are understanding autonomous vehicles/ The vehicles will be communicating with each other so there wont be collisions.
I liked the Jetson's as much as anybody but, at some point, you have got to come back down to Earth. If trucks and cars could be autonomous, on an open course, then why do trains, which travel on a closed course, still have human crews operating them?

I liked the Jetson's as much as anybody but, at some point, you have got to come back down to Earth. If trucks and cars could be autonomous, on an open course, then why do trains, which travel on a closed course, still have human crews operating them?
Wouldn't let me post an actual link so type in the www. If you need to.....

wired.com/2013/04/why-arent-trains-autonomous/

There is your short answer.

It's interesting they also mention organized labor as a reason that trains aren't automated. I'd also venture to guess that there are a tiny amount of train operators compared to truck drivers, so the labor savings wont be nearly as buge for train companies as they will be for trucking companies.

Which also begs the question as to what the Teamsters are doing about this. Not to turn this into yet another mind numbing union thread......(not a union guy BTW, but i am curuous as to what their stance on this issue is)

Wouldn't let me post an actual link so type in the www. If you need to.....

wired.com/2013/04/why-arent-trains-autonomous/

There is your short answer.

It's interesting they also mention organized labor as a reason that trains aren't automated. I'd also venture to guess that there are a tiny amount of train operators compared to truck drivers, so the labor savings wont be nearly as buge for train companies as they will be for trucking companies.

Which also begs the question as to what the Teamsters are doing about this. Not to turn this into yet another mind numbing union thread......(not a union guy BTW, but i am curuous as to what their stance on this issue is)
Im not sure what the teamsters can do if anything. I do know however UPS has invested big bucks in a company working on this technology.

Budweiser already has an autonomous truck. It took a load of beer from Ft. Collins CO through Denver and delivered to Colorado Springs. No problems. If Bud does it, so will your company (eventually).

Budweiser already has an autonomous truck. It took a load of beer from Ft. Collins CO through Denver and delivered to Colorado Springs. No problems. If Bud does it, so will your company (eventually).
Not so fast.
...Our involvement was multifaceted. We made sure the roadway was swept of debris, and we got our tow trucks involved to make sure there weren’t any abandoned vehicles on the side of the road that would hamper the test. We worked with our road construction contract partners to make sure there weren’t any unexpected road projects going on that would cause weird traffic conditions...
...Otto, the self-driving truck subsidiary of Uber, shipped a truckload of Budweiser from Fort Collins, Colo. to Colorado Springs last Thursday with the driver monitoring from the truck's sleeper berth for the entire two-hour journey...
...The only time the truck driver delivering the beer took to the wheel was while driving on and off the highway ramp...
and backing to the dock, watch the youtube video.
Still, it was impressive but you noticed that they didn't try it under real time conditions

This isn't true. They did one test run under very controlled circumstance. Let's not start rumors please.
Budweiser does not own the truck.

The fact that a company such as Budweiser, who has far more employees and trucks than any LTL company, would pursue this technology is a testament to its value and eventual implementation. Bury your head in the sand, I don't care. The reality is that autonomy has a future in many forms of transportation, not just trucking. Denial will not stop the inevitable.

The fact that a company such as Budweiser, who has far more employees and trucks than any LTL company, would pursue this technology is a testament to its value and eventual implementation. Bury your head in the sand, I don't care. The reality is that autonomy has a future in many forms of transportation, not just trucking. Denial will not stop the inevitable.
There wasn't a denial it happened, but it's far from the "sky is falling" rhetoric you posted. This was a test for Otto, not Budweiser. They simply used it as free advertising and it got plenty of play.

Sorry.,I had to bring this one back up. Tesla just introduced their new autonomous truck and their stock jumped 5%. Still have our heads in the sand????

Triples & RM doubles offer at least a 30% labor savings. They've been used for quite some time. They are also heavily restricted as to routing. I guess I'll start worrying about employment when the roads we travel have autonomous cars or buses. That will happen long before 80,000# of "Oh ::shit::, how do we stop it?" takes my job.

Reactions: Ump
I will start worring when they can program a truck to back itself into a dock and between trailers. If that was possible that should be the first concern. There are tons of newer drivers now that have a nearly impossible time learning that....
You better start worrying, that technology is here now, and is better at blindsiding in an alley off the street than you or me.

Triples & RM doubles offer at least a 30% labor savings. They've been used for quite some time. They are also heavily restricted as to routing. I guess I'll start worrying about employment when the roads we travel have autonomous cars or buses. That will happen long before 80,000# of "Oh :::shit:::, how do we stop it?" takes my job.
Perfect example of "head in the sand". First of all trucks will be first because of the profit. If triples and RM doubles offer a 30% savings then it will be at least double than that savings when they link trucks together, which they are already doing in Europe. I agree it is a bit down the road, but it is coming and I am afraid a bit quicker than most realize.

Driverless cars and trucks on the Houston East Freeway at 6:00am. Mother of all demolition derbys.
Actually, no. Not if they are all driverless, and on the same computer system. According to the innovators and insurance companies - we drivers are the reason for crashes. Computers won't enter the 'must hurry and cut' syndrome.

Actually, no. Not if they are all driverless, and on the same computer system. According to the innovators and insurance companies - we drivers are the reason for crashes. Computers won't enter the 'must hurry and cut' syndrome.
Just wait until that driverless truck tries to pull into a driveway with 200 employees leaving work, and blocks the highway for 20 to 30 minutes because it senses traffic in front of it, AND THE COPS TRY TO GIVE THE "HELPER/DRIVER" a ticket.

I would be curious about the theft. Two cars could bring aut. Truck to a stop very easily. On some back road...or hell...middle of n.st.louis for that matter...either way...expensive freight gone on a matter of minutes. Noone to stop them.