TForce | Is UPS buying Estes?

Like I said it before, and I'll say it again if UPS buys another U.S. outfit, it will be for the customer list, property and drivers pool. They don't need another U.S. carrier, what I bet they do is look north and south of the border for a buy.

hugnlug said:
I whole heartedly agree with you that UPS will make this work. But I have some reservation on to cutting and slashing as this link states. This also gives credit to my ongoing statements concerning UPS Cartage Services, (Emery Air Freight/Menlo). The other day I saw two drivers together making a pick-up. The shipment was about the size of a case of beer. They said since it was slow, they have double up drivers. Doesn't sound too practical to me. But what do I know.
Associated Press Business News: UPS Will Make Job Cuts : US:UPS - MSN Money

The restructuring in the company's Supply Chain Solutions segment will primarily be focused in North America and on management, administrative and technical functions, Rosenberg said:

This always happens. It's funny how some try to make it gloom and doom for the whole company. Like I said wait till UPS gets done and we can see the whole picture I think we all will be quite pleased.

do you have 20 years to wait for this eutopia you dream about.. ups has been in the parcel business for 100 years and yet the new comer on the block fedex is cleaning their clock...they want to build their business on your back...

ups has no clue about freight and doesn't have the management in place who have a clue either, until every last O manager is gone what you see is what you get.

Skeeter said:
The restructuring in the company's Supply Chain Solutions segment will primarily be focused in North America and on management, administrative and technical functions, Rosenberg said:

This always happens. It's funny how some try to make it gloom and doom for the whole company. Like I said wait till UPS gets done and we can see the whole picture I think we all will be quite pleased.
Skeeter, how can you state that I was projecting doom and gloom? I whole heartedly agreed with you on our situation. Then I went on to say about the situation I saw the other day. Adding to that a stock report/announcement that I didn't make up. But to rather validate that yes management certainly has issues with there own kind!!

Skeeter said:
They don't need to buy anymore companies. They got the cream of the crop now. They just have to expand now.
If your the cream of the crop .... what is that junk equipment you have .... ??
I've seen better rolling stock at the bone yard !
Sometimes I think you just post delusional thoughts without any idea what your saying.

Skeeter said:

I know you also have some time in the company. Do you think you will see this big picture (vision) before you retire? I don't think you will see the whole picture before you retire. There is not enough time. You will see it through the screen that you are looking at!

"management, administrative and technical functions" Well unless someone on here is apart of any of those, there should be nothing to worry about.

flstc2000 said:
If your the cream of the crop .... what is that junk equipment you have .... ??
I've seen better rolling stock at the bone yard !
Sometimes I think you just post delusional thoughts without any idea what your saying.

What makes you think he was talking about the equipment? He he could have been speaking about "PERSONAL"

Don't kid yourself...

webidiot said:
ups has no clue about freight and doesn't have the management in place who have a clue either, until every last O manager is gone what you see is what you get.

Webidiot,,don't kid yourself, UPS hasn't become the largest trucking co. in the free world by not knowing what they are doing. And someone noted FedEx cleaning UPSs clock... LOL,, now thats funny as well. There will be only good coming out of UPSF in less than 6 months. They are here to make money and to be the biggest and the best. Maybe not to everyone standards, but to thiers. And not everyone will benefit from the buy out. Everyone here is replaceable. As the saying goes you were looking for this job when you found it, you might be looking again as well.

I have to agree with you. Also I hear alot about Fedx. What people need to understand is Fedx has a few years jump on the freight business compared to UPS. Also Fedx Freight is twice the size of UPS Freight at this time. It will take a few years to even compare UPS Freight to Fedx. But it will happen.

UPS should have been a better observer of what FEDEX Freight did when it bought AF and Viking. FEDEX bought the two companies, put their name on it, but left them alone to run their respective areas the way they have been, why mess with success? Now there is FEDEX Freight West and East. There were some problems integrating their respective billing systems and stuff but the operations never lost a step, just kept adding drivers to handle the flow. "O" came in and imposed their way of doing things on motor cargo's area, and since then customers have been abandoning like rats on a ship.

galaxy99dx said:
UPS should have been a better observer of what FEDEX Freight did when it bought AF and Viking. FEDEX bought the two companies, put their name on it, but left them alone to run their respective areas the way they have been, why mess with success? Now there is FEDEX Freight West and East. There were some problems integrating their respective billing systems and stuff but the operations never lost a step, just kept adding drivers to handle the flow. "O" came in and imposed their way of doing things on motor cargo's area, and since then customers have been abandoning like rats on a ship.
When UPS buys a company, You can expect major changes. Technology is their thing. Something "O" was way behind in. Expect many, many more changes to come.

fr8rookie said:
I doubt the Federal Trade Commission would allow a trade like that at this time. They have a thing about trying to corner the market place and with their lasting shopping spree I don't see UPS buying anyone for a few more years.

Although you mite be rite about future buyouts, what market are they cornering? There is more than 1 company in the market.

Skeeter said:
It's attitudes like this we need to get rid of. I disagree with you AP UPS will not cut their losses with OVNT/MC. They will continue to fine tune the company till it is what they want. UPS is not quitters they will turn this company into what they want. As far as cutting their losses I haven't got the slightest fear they will do that. But you are right about one thing God takes care of his own.:smillie_flag:

I agree!!!!!!!!

webidiot said:

First of all you speak of something you know nothing of, although you are rite about some of our MGR'S , a cube, is a cube, is a cube. If UPS knows nothing of freight then why is it the freight is coming into most of our terminal's in good condition as opposed too when O was running the show and OS&D was through the roof.

Technology is also the key, Consistant contact with the customer is also the key. Return profitable freight in redundancy is the key, as little dead end miles is the key,

I remember when a regional opps. mgr. had mentioned too our driver's in a meeting that the mileage one does has nothing to do with ones profitability. Tell that too UPS.

These drivers that were complaining about this were coming in at nine oclock every nite during our busy season 3 hrs, above and beyond what is supposed to be our load and cut time's. UPS has already stated they do not want this, They would rather have a driver do less deliveries , have the time to get them off ,and make pickups in the afternoon, as opposed to bringing stuff back and missing pickups to boot.

Dead head miles is a waste of time. and money. eats off of the bottom line.

You are simply saying UPS knows nothing of these things I have mentioned above? How did they become successfull, Small package hauls trailers!!!!!

Stop drinking your own koolaid and look at the facts. They are all around you.:showoff:

Further more, UPS will make this co succesfull, one does not pay 1.25 billion for a company and liquidate it unless there is significant value, and I hate to say it, O had none!!!!!. Except double digit growth , at the cost of our equipment and facilities......

Accelerator said:
Dead head miles is a waste of time. and money. eats off of the bottom line.

In order to service the customer this sometimes has to be done. If the customer is serviced it benefits the company. (Better to eat empty miles and keep a customer than to lose a customer.)

I remember when Overnite gave a boat away to a driver in a driver customer lead contest.
Sure this was many years back.

But what would a trucking company be with out their customers freight to haul?

Its just like having a car with out a motor.
The car may look like its good to go,but is totaly useless.

steve5 said:
In order to service the customer this sometimes has to be done. If the customer is serviced it benefits the company. (Better to eat empty miles and keep a customer than to lose a customer.)
speaking of empty miles, any word on the cancellation of weekend runs? I heard they were going to start with Sundays first..