Central Transport | Is Vitran a good company?

Then treat us with respect. Don't lay off people permanantly, then rehire them a month or two later at the bottom. Then cut them down even more (5%).
Wow.. I never thought I would be posting, but I think a few things should be explained about what Simple723 posted.. First off one of the reasons Chris and Pjax are still retaining there names is for our customer base.. Companies(I.E Customers) get nervous and dont like change esp when they have been doing business with the same company for many years.. By them retaining there name for now.. It gives our customers a sense of security.. Eventually we will all transition to the Vitran only name.. But it takes time..

As far as the pjax guy buying up 50% of vitran stock.. Not true at all... The pjax guy was put in charge because he is very good at his job. And in this tough economy things could be much worse. Look at some of the other trucking companies.. Before vitran acquired Pjax. Pjax was turning record profits, and was/still is a very Successful Company. Pjax was never in any danger of going out of business like some people seem to, or like to think. As far as Vitran being in a hole, and buying pjax to bail them out.. I know nothing about that.. The whole reason was to expand vitran's/pjax's/Chris's coverage area.. and to bring everyone together to form a stronger company for the future.

We also really cant blame anybody in general for the Vitran stock dropping.. I mean people get a grip and wake up.. The Stock market crashed over the past eight months or so.. Everybody's stock has dropped in record numbers.. Not just Vitrans.. Major companies are shutting down.. Wage cuts..The unemployment rate is at record highs.. Everybody is cutting back/ downsizing to adjust for the recession.. The trucking industry in general has taken a major major hit... I feel bad for everybody that has been laid off.. Been there... On the upside.. Most of the major terminals have been staying pretty busy this past month.. People that have been laid off are being hired back.. Thats a good sign!! And I know we are still closing terminals, but the company feels that it can maintain its level of service from the larger terminals, and cut some expenses.. I guess time will tell??

On a final note.. Wether it be Chris/Vitran/Pjax.. We all work for the same people.. And everybody needs to show respect for each other.. We all want the same thing.. Make money provide for our family etc...

Well Scotty425... I get what you're saying... And you are right about the respect thing.. Everybody needs to be treated with respect.. No matter who you are, or what you do... We are all in this together... As far as laying people off and rehiring them at base pay.. That's not fair either... But if I was laid off, and the way the economy is... If I couldn't find another company to work for.. I would come back to vitran and just deal with it... Thats all any of us can really do... A job is better than being unemployed.. I'm not trying to make lite of this, but the company needs to keep cutting costs until things turn around... Vitran would never do this if the economy/business was good... Things are getting better, but just not fast enough...

Well Scotty425... I get what you're saying... And you are right about the respect thing.. Everybody needs to be treated with respect.. No matter who you are, or what you do... We are all in this together... As far as laying people off and rehiring them at base pay.. That's not fair either... But if I was laid off, and the way the economy is... If I couldn't find another company to work for.. I would come back to vitran and just deal with it... Thats all any of us can really do... A job is better than being unemployed.. I'm not trying to make lite of this, but the company needs to keep cutting costs until things turn around... Vitran would never do this if the economy/business was good... Things are getting better, but just not fast enough...
Yes, but just less than 40 days off? I am dealing with it. Just shows their "corporate " ways. Don't expect anything from these guys if it doesn't make big $ for them. We aren't party of a team to them, we are just ::shit::

I just started working for Vitran as a linehaul driver. After just completing my first week on the job my impression of them is that they are a very bad company to work for. I earned about $1100 for 69 hours of work granted I will likely get much faster that is not much money at all. I get paid 39 cents per mile which is ok but the problem is that they don't pay for all of the delays. (waiting for paperwork, loads not ready, and so on) They also don't pay for hooking, unhooking, backing trailers into doors, etc. In addition to this their equipment is terrible. I put on 2400 miles this week while driving trucks that have 700,000 + miles on them. Many of the trucks are not maintained properly. I have turned down five trucks during my first week with problems ranging from bad brakes to no air gauges. I would think that if you would stick it out it would be possible to make good money once the pay freeze is lifted and get to full scale. I'm not sure I'll be willing to stay here though. Having said that I do need a job and would rather make $16 per hour with no OT than be unemployed. So I'm stuck for now.

u got the last part right but b apart of the solution and we all get together demand equal pay and employee rights !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO UNION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just started working for Vitran as a linehaul driver. After just completing my first week on the job my impression of them is that they are a very bad company to work for. I earned about $1100 for 69 hours of work granted I will likely get much faster that is not much money at all. I get paid 39 cents per mile which is ok but the problem is that they don't pay for all of the delays. (waiting for paperwork, loads not ready, and so on) They also don't pay for hooking, unhooking, backing trailers into doors, etc. In addition to this their equipment is terrible. I put on 2400 miles this week while driving trucks that have 700,000 + miles on them. Many of the trucks are not maintained properly. I have turned down five trucks during my first week with problems ranging from bad brakes to no air gauges. I would think that if you would stick it out it would be possible to make good money once the pay freeze is lifted and get to full scale. I'm not sure I'll be willing to stay here though. Having said that I do need a job and would rather make $16 per hour with no OT than be unemployed. So I'm stuck for now.

2 years ago you got paid for all that is listed, but the euipment was still bad. Vitran need either some really good mechanics (with the exception of some terminals) or become more stricker with the slackers they have. You're not stuck get out while you can or put on your seat belt because I believe it is going to be a long ride.

make $ 1100 a week for 69 hours of work is making $15.94 hour ::nutkick:

Good friend of mine loved Vitran. Wasn't happy with everthing but still happy. He was out of canton ohio. You know how the rest of that goes. Hope SAIA is working out for ya greenlight.

Hmmm. Get used to it-that's the norm. We have trucks on the road that have no a/c,no fuel gauge, no speedometer, jake quit, all on just one truck! I am told it's too expensive to send to the dealer (newer truck) right now. So just drive it. Duh, okay...:TR10driving03:

Worked for Vitran for one month and glad i got the hell out of there. they need to put on 12 more drivers. Get in on your start time and sit around for a hour or so till you get the paper work. Always have to gas up the truck and late getting on the road and you are to blame if you miss a dead line for pick-up or delivery because you are always dicked around at the terminal. Make a delivery and they call you to travel across the city for a pick-up that will close in a hour and then back track deliverys and move frt. around just to get the crap off. I'am glad i left that dump!