It looks like Sysco sucks!

All I heard

The only thing I heard from a driver on the hill that used to work for Sysco before Turkey Hill was he didn't like the place at all. He did not go into detail and only said he was glad to be out of there due to it was killing him. At the same time, I would like to hear more from the guys out there that have or are working for this outfit. Whats it like, the pro's and con's...

I know alot of Sysco drivers, I think it depends on where you work. One guy I got to know worked in Virginia, transfered to Tulsa, Virginia was non-union, Tulsa is union, he said in VA. it was a better working environment, it was run better ect., Sysco Arkansas, non-union, alot of guys are afraid for their jobs, especially after they get some time in, some guys don't have a care in the world, I suppose its like any big company, they sure do pay good, at least at Sysco AR. I would shuttle for them, but as for delivery, I will stay where I'm at.

Why Sysco sucks

KICKME---On what basis does Sysco suck? ru a Sysco employee? If so, what area?

Sysco Seattle union shop. Can't get 2 consectutive days off after 5 years of service, forced to work over hours. (I believe 17 hours is the most) (Union does nothing to prevent this), Management fixes the times in the computer when they want you to, but gives you a letter if you accidentally go over hours. I could go on and on. Oh yeah calling in everynight at 9:00 PM for the following days start time and the times are 2:00 AM, or maybe 3:00 AM. 4 hours of sleep doesn't cut it when your working 12+ hour days.

I did shuttle for them for 4 months.... The pay sucked!! I was lucky to bring home a $1,000 every 2 weeks. i had to adjust to the pay... my last job i was making atleast $1,200 a week(line driving)!!! the equipment sucks so bad!!! The worst company i have ever driven for.:duh:

I did shuttle for them for 4 months.... The pay sucked!! I was lucky to bring home a $1,000 every 2 weeks. i had to adjust to the pay... my last job i was making atleast $1,200 a week(line driving)!!! the equipment sucks so bad!!! The worst company i have ever driven for.:duh:

Here shuttle pay is $806.00 per week I believe, that doesn't include wait time and all the other extras, they are making $1000.00 per week easy.

Back In The Day

I worked for Sysco in Phoenix. I had a couple of friends that had moved from Fleming Foods Truck Shop, to run the shop at Sysco. I got hired on in June of 1997, and left for Shamrock Dairy in December. It was a union shop, never made the union, it really didn't matter running up and down a ramp wasn't my thing. I did it all, shuttle, Subway's, the route that sucked was the Filiberto's run they were a cash account and all of their places paid by cash, 20's, 10's, 5's, and 1's. The total was $1000.00 or more per stop.

I busted my rear only to have the Manager come in and say you are going fast enough. I was beating most of the other drivers in, so I made the decision that this was a bad decision to work here.

I feel for you guys that do this, at least in Oregon most of all of the trailers have lift gates instead of ramps.

I like saving my knees.

Who does PFG deliver to? Chains or ma and pa?

Both kickme, here in Arkansas, we have Subways, and KFC/TacoBell, and everything else under the sun. Our customized division does most of the chains like Outback, Cracker Barrel, things of that nature, I work for the broadline end.

All I can say is that I have delivered to them and I never saw such a bunch of disrespectful folks in my life. They treat you like crap while you are there doing their work sorting and segregating the lousy junk they ordered.

I would have to agree Smoke... sysco sucks. Do what I did one time. I had a later appointment. I took each individual box from one skid to another. Really slow. 1...... 2...... 3...... all the corners were perfect when I was done. The warehouse man was going bananas LOL ..

All I can say is that I have delivered to them and I never saw such a bunch of disrespectful folks in my life. They treat you like crap while you are there doing their work sorting and segregating the lousy junk they ordered.

Been there myself, when I was running P&D. We called that stack and sort crap, "Ti-HIghing", back then.

In fact one of the reasons I quit my job as a P&D driver was the bad additude and the lack of respect shown by my supervisor, everytime I made a delivery to the SYSCO foods warehouse.

He just didn't get the "hurry up and wait" procedures in place there.

Albertson's/Lucky's was WAY lots faster unloading then the chumps at SYSCO foods ever dreamed of being (not that they would), once I got to know a few of the honchos there.

Hell, drop and hook as a line driver is WAY lots easier then dealing with the inside scum at a grocery warehouse like SYSCO.:flame:

(Not intended as a flame against the SYSCO drivers, BTW)

Good call

You summed it up well, the receivers at a Sysco facility seem to think they are better than everbody else. I guess they forget they are just hourly peons too. But from working there I do know they get treated poorly from their management also. Not that this condones the pitiful behavior. Personally I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I treated people that way.

Been there myself, when I was running P&D. We called that stack and sort crap, "Ti-HIghing", back then.

In fact one of the reasons I quit my job as a P&D driver was the bad additude and the lack of respect shown by my supervisor, everytime I made a delivery to the SYSCO foods warehouse.

He just didn't get the "hurry up and wait" procedures in place there.

Albertson's/Lucky's was WAY lots faster unloading then the chumps at SYSCO foods ever dreamed of being (not that they would), once I got to know a few of the honchos there.

Hell, drop and hook as a line driver is WAY lots easier then dealing with the inside scum at a grocery warehouse like SYSCO.:flame:

(Not intended as a flame against the SYSCO drivers, BTW)

Ranger, I doubt and Sysco driver would take it that way, driver and warehouse are 2 different animals and are totally seperate, even when I worked for Tankersley and was out of the dist. facility the only real dealings I had with the warehouse was with the driver check in man.

Ranger, I doubt and Sysco driver would take it that way, driver and warehouse are 2 different animals and are totally seperate, even when I worked for Tankersley and was out of the dist. facility the only real dealings I had with the warehouse was with the driver check in man.

I understand that but sometimes people take it personally.

I don't have much to do with the dock and forklift drivers at RDWY, just the TM's, dispatch and the switchers, but some union boys take it the wrong way and SYSCO is a union shop out here in CA.

Don't want my brothers and sister union drivers thinking bad about the old Ranger309.

Lots of Grocery warehouses are the pits and I have seen OTR guys perp-walked out of some facilities by security or the police, after they found out they had to break down the load, sort, stack it and shrink-wrap it, and went ballistic.

Lots of times its thier own companies fault for not telling them that they unload, or pay lumpers, to unload the freight.

I understand that but sometimes people take it personally.

I don't have much to do with the dock and forklift drivers at RDWY, just the TM's, dispatch and the switchers, but some union boys take it the wrong way and SYSCO is a union shop out here in CA.

Don't want my brothers and sister union drivers thinking bad about the old Ranger309.

Lots of Grocery warehouses are the pits and I have seen OTR guys perp-walked out of some facilities by security or the police, after they found out they had to break down the load, sort, stack it and shrink-wrap it, and went ballistic.

Lots of times its thier own companies fault for not telling them that they unload, or pay lumpers, to unload the freight.

Understood, some of the non-union shops are just as bad, I used to deliver to one in OKC and I have seen otr drivers about to have a heart attack, if you didn't get lumper services, and were lucky enough to get a power jack, and you turned your back for 3 seconds, a lumper would get on it and it would be gone, I got to know one of the lumpers there, went there most thursdays, I would give him $10.00 and he would unload my 7 palets of wheat flour, then I was at the mercy of the company employee that checked it in, in Little rock PFG uses lumpers, we are non-union but I have never heard anyone talk about it being bad but I have a feeling it is.