It looks like Sysco sucks!

All I can say is that I have delivered to them and I never saw such a bunch of disrespectful folks in my life. They treat you like crap while you are there doing their work sorting and segregating the lousy junk they ordered.

I Agree Smoke, At my last company we had a contract to deliver bags of sugar to the Walnut/industry, Ca (union) warehouse. They were on slip sheets, and the dock was supposed to unload them. But when we got there, they would "claim" that the slip sheet lift was broken and we had to unload the trailer by hand. It worked for a few drivers, but most of us knew better and told them we were not going to touch it and suddenly the lift was working!!!
Now when when I go there (luckily not often) I just do the breakdown to their pallets no matter how long it takes. It pisses them off and of course dispatch doesn't like the wasted time but oh well.

Sort & seggregate

My thought on the matter is if they want a truckdriver who is not use to making perfect layers on a pallet to breakdown one skid and make it 10 skids, they can kiss my *** if they think I'm going too slow. I had to wait in the yard for 2 hours, so they can wait on me! Most of the time I was waiting on them to come back and check the freight in though. The only grocery type warehouse I had to do that at was BILO in Mauldin, SC. The checkers there were pretty nice guys and would atleast unload the freight for you after you got to know them. The only time Saia has paid for a lumper there was when 3 skids needed to be turned into 80!

I think companies should hire their own people to do that stuff, Tankersley had warehose people for that, if you wanted to help fine, if not sit in your truck and stay out of the way, DOT foods, they always helped, but they got paid to do so.
I know you guys don't understand why it has to be done, but there is a reason, or a method to the madness, I just don't believe it should be the drivers responsibility.

I understand why. The racks can only fit a pallet that's is so high, breaking a pallet into 9 pallets of like items helps count when checking in and also when racking the product. Atleast that's my take on it.

I understand why. The racks can only fit a pallet that's is so high, breaking a pallet into 9 pallets of like items helps count when checking in and also when racking the product. Atleast that's my take on it.

Pretty much, these places have thousands of products, it also helps on let downs, the guys replenishing the racks when they get empty during the time all the trucks are being pulled. There isn't alot of room for full pallets when they stock that many different products, seems to me a logistical nightmare, I'm glad I'm not in charge of keeping up with it.

SMALL WOOD!!!!!!!! They want it on SMALL WOOD!!!!!:biglaugh:

I'm sure them DOT guys know alot about SMALL WOOD!!!!!:biglaugh:

Sysco Seattle union shop. Can't get 2 consecutive days off after 5 years of service, forced to work over hours. (I believe 17 hours is the most) (Union does nothing to prevent this), Management fixes the times in the computer when they want you to, but gives you a letter if you accidentally go over hours. I could go on and on. Oh yeah calling in every night at 9:00 PM for the following days start time and the times are 2:00 AM, or maybe 3:00 AM. 4 hours of sleep doesn't cut it when you're working 12+ hour days.

4 hours of sleep working in a warehouse on 12 hour shifts doesn't bode well either.
Well Sir, you're already primed for OTR.
No one can force anyone to work beyond what they are capable of performing because at this point all kinds of dangerous probabilities are presented as in YOUR safety.
5 years of service means YOU ARE WORTHY FOR OTHER EMPLOYERS.

I have never worked in Food Service and not likely to do such at all.
I don't mind a few stops, yet I have no patience for many stops or for unruly customers: unruly customers equals damaged freight.
Shippers and Receivers, just running OTR from one pickup to one delivery is bad enough most times.
I have not ever unloaded Food stuff at Grocery Warehouses and never will, that is what the Lumper Services are to do and if these places have no Lumpers, the unloading is STILL THEIR PROBLEM.

I'm GLAD there are People like yourself that have the patience and tolerance as well as the strengths (not just Physical) required to sustain your positions.
Thank you for your time and BE WELL ALL!!

Thanks I did move on

I had a total of 12 years of food service delivery (2 different companies) all union. I hurt my back at Sysco and was out for about 5 weeks. When I returned they put a supervisor in my cab a few days a week until I screwed up and then I was fired for safety violations. (forgettting seat belt on occasion and other minor items) If you are injured there you are damaged goods and they don't want to pay for that. I have moved on to freight working at YRC trying to get through this economic slowdown.

I had a total of 12 years of food service delivery (2 different companies) all union. I hurt my back at Sysco and was out for about 5 weeks. When I returned they put a supervisor in my cab a few days a week until I screwed up and then I was fired for safety violations. (forgettting seat belt on occasion and other minor items) If you are injured there you are damaged goods and they don't want to pay for that. I have moved on to freight working at YRC trying to get through this economic slowdown.

Thats the bad thing about foodservice, at least on the delivery side, you hurt a back and your gone, like you said damage goods, even if you heal the company looks at you as a future liability, sad but true.

Guess Ill stop *****ing. I work for Sysco KC and we don’t have near the problems Seattle has. My biggest complaints are how the trucks are loaded and how the stops are routed. I run a 48’ on Tuesdays and the loaders will jam everything against the bulkhead doors. In all three bays ill have enough room to park a car so its pick out the side door all day or come in and rearrange your truck. Our router just seems to slap stuff together sometimes. They’ll schedule a stop for 5am and there will be instructions on the bill
”not deliveries before 10.” Or no deliveries from 11 to1 and you get there at 12. All in all were not too bad off, they’ve only laid off one guy at a shuttle point and my cases haven’t dropped off any.

Dirty

How bad are they about letting drivers go before 90 days?

Are you talking about Des Plaines, IL? Danville maybe? I've heard that they [des plaines] will let people go if they dont think they can handle the work. It aint for everybody, you know?

Des plaines, I'm a laidoff YRC/ROADWAY team driver looking into this field of work. On a scale of 1-10 what level of difficulty is a normal days work?

Des plaines, I'm a laidoff YRC/ROADWAY team driver looking into this field of work. On a scale of 1-10 what level of difficulty is a normal days work?

About a 6 if your in great shape, 10+ if your not, attitude is everything in foodservice, you get out of it what you put into it.

Grocerythrower got it right, about 6 to 10 depending on how rugged you are. You will be hand-carting 10k-35k lbs of food and other restaurant necessities into kitchens and storage rooms, some of which may be down a flight of stairs. It gets easier as you get used to it and you get to bid on routes as you gain seniority..

Personally, I started driving in food/beverage for 3 years, tried freight for 6 months, and went back to food/beverage and plan on staying for a long time. It's tougher work than freight, but it tends to be more steady...

attitude is everything in foodservice, you get out of it what you put into it.

You forgot to tell him that you must be NUTS and certified crazy to do this job.

See, I am NUTS and the state of PA has certified me as being crazy. Must be why I like this type of work so much.:nutkick::biglaugh:

Into my seventh year and STILL enjoy it.:nutkick:

You forgot to tell him that you must be NUTS and certified crazy to do this job.

See, I am NUTS and the state of PA has certified me as being crazy. Must be why I like this type of work so much.:nutkick::biglaugh:

Into my seventh year and STILL enjoy it.:nutkick:

Your right, sometimes when I open the trailer doors to inspect, I ask myself, what the heck am I doing, as you know, you can look at the load...with experience...and just know how your first 3 or 4 stops are going to go.

I just can't imagine doing anything else at this point, I love my job, I guess that makes me somewhat insane, I have often questioned my love of this work, in my 20's I loved it, thats understandable, but now in my 40's, sometimes I question my very sanity.

Lord knows I really enjoy the abuse, alot more goes along with the job than just abuse of my body, I just get alot of satisfaction from it, I have always liked to work hard, thats just me, I'll do this as long as my body lets me I reckon.

Sysco

I'm new, just registered today. Worked for SYSCO briefly as a casual line haul shuttle driver (4 months) before accepting a full time position at PYA/ Monarch, also a line haul shuttle position (2 years).

The PYA job was a 'special circumstances' situation I won't go into great detail unless asked. I was fired and told to never set foot on the property again! An educational situation for sure. Haven't done any more food service work either, not that I won't but I've gone on to other things. I'm in my 35th year of truck driving as a vocation:shift: