Central Transport | "I've been at Vitran too long to quit and start over."

luci

TB Lurker
Credits
I have said this, and heard many others express this thought.

However, I dug into the pay and benefits of other LTL companies. Some are a fast track to top out pay.

I would encourage all drivers to reconsider whether or not they can give up whatever it is Vitran has given to (taken from) them.

I found that even top scale employees have a lot to gain by leaving Vitran and getting on with certain companies. It just makes financial sense.

What I think a lot of folks mean by "cannot give up what I have" is status of being a senior driver, being familiar with the job, not having to work a year before a vacation etc.

What I have found is good LTL companies structure their pay and benefits to make it easier for a good drive to come to them and start over. Two weeks vacation after first year, two year or quicker top out on pay etc.

There is nothing wrong with being afraid of change, but let's not act as though top Vitran drivers make so much money and have such good benefits that they cannot leave.

Even after the "New Pay Package" is rolled out there will be serious issues with our benefits, and though I pray I am wrong I cannot see top scale pay matching that of an Old Dominion or FE.

I have said this, and heard many others express this thought.

However, I dug into the pay and benefits of other LTL companies. Some are a fast track to top out pay.

I would encourage all drivers to reconsider whether or not they can give up whatever it is Vitran has given to (taken from) them.

I found that even top scale employees have a lot to gain by leaving Vitran and getting on with certain companies. It just makes financial sense.

What I think a lot of folks mean by "cannot give up what I have" is status of being a senior driver, being familiar with the job, not having to work a year before a vacation etc.

What I have found is good LTL companies structure their pay and benefits to make it easier for a good drive to come to them and start over. Two weeks vacation after first year, two year or quicker top out on pay etc.

There is nothing wrong with being afraid of change, but let's not act as though top Vitran drivers make so much money and have such good benefits that they cannot leave.

Even after the "New Pay Package" is rolled out there will be serious issues with our benefits, and though I pray I am wrong I cannot see top scale pay matching that of an Old Dominion or FE.
Now at least for me it's not about the money or benefits. It's about being happy. I'm almost 60 and have no debt except daily living expenses...taxes....insurance...things like that. This job is easy so why subject myself to starting over unless I have to. I know this job....Its not the greatest but I'm happy for the most part. And that's good enough for me. Things could be worse. Trust me on that one. With a new job comes a new type of stress. The learning curve...And all the things the new guy has to go through to pay his dues. There is BS everywhere....I will change jobs when I have to. I'm getting to old for that. The young man is better able to start over. If I was a young man I would be right there with them. But I'm just an old fart wanting to call it a day and enjoy whatever time I have left on this earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the same but I am looking easier to look for a new job while I still have one. I am also looking to leave LTL trucking

I feel the same but I am looking easier to look for a new job while I still have one. I am also looking to leave LTL trucking

Your absolutely right undead it is easier like myself looking for another ltl company was easy i had at least 3 other offers the problem is SWITCHING TO ANOTHER JOB WHEN YOU HAVE ONE THATS THE HARD PART.......GOOD LUCK

[QUOTE. I'm almost 60 .[/QUOTE]

OMG if your not over the hill, I bet you can see the top from where you're at! :)

[QUOTE. I'm almost 60 .

OMG if your not over the hill, I bet you can see the top from where you're at! :)[/QUOTE]At my age . I've seen it all, I've heard it all, I've done it all, I just can't remember it all.... "The Senility Prayer" ......God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway.....The good fortune to run into the one's I do.....And the eyesight to tell the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Senility Prayer" ......God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway.....The good fortune to run into the one's I do.....And the eyesight to tell the difference.[/QUOTE]

that is cute RT