JB Hunt DCS

I don't know, I used to see them at Golden Corral in AR, the guy had a bunch of help, IDK if it was store employees or what, I used to run into a MBM guy out of Ft. Worth picking up a backhaul of chicken in Van Buren, he seemed like a happy fellow. I see ads in our paper, I live in Tulsa and they have a location in OKC, I guess they figure guys like to make long drives to work since they lay over, I don't know. It can't be that bad.

I think they were store employees, from what I understand the drivers get the stuff to the back door and getting it inside is the restaurant's problem. Late last summer we lost a big account after Darden Restaurants bought them, on one of their last deliveries the chef told me they were switching to MBM and that's how they were going to do it. Would be nice.

I think they were store employees, from what I understand the drivers get the stuff to the back door and getting it inside is the restaurant's problem. Late last summer we lost a big account after Darden Restaurants bought them, on one of their last deliveries the chef told me they were switching to MBM and that's how they were going to do it. Would be nice.

Would be real nice! I might go back to days if Sysco did that!

That's how Martin Brower delivers to McDonald's in alot of the areas now. When I worked at MB we were the only facility that still used rollers. Every one else dropped pallets.

Super late. But yep in Texas jack in the box had they're own fleet of trucks . Which disappeared when MBM got the jack in the box account. MBM did chili's here too..but they outsourced the jack in the box and chillis account to JB Hunt. MBM has the warehouse but contracts JB hunt drivers from there. One of my ex co workers got hired with JB Hunt for the jack on the box account .. and is making a tad bit lower than what a normal MBM driver would make. So yep.. the race to the bottom.

JB Hunt around here in Ohio does Marco's Pizza. Sofo Foods out of Toledo, Ohio used to do Marco's and then Marco's kind of got big and took all there warehousing and stuff into there own hands and JB Hunt DCS does the transport for Marco's Pizza.

Screw JB Hunt and all the companies like them, because of them some of the best private driving jobs in the country went away, all in the name of the almighty dollar. The people that had those private driving jobs were some of the most loyal drivers on earth, I know I was one of them, now all these companies have trucks full of JB people delivering their product, I would be willing to bet those JB drivers could really give a damn about the customers of those private companies, or the products they sell.

I could be wrong but when I was with Daylight Donuts you couldn't even get on there unless you knew someone, and only then if there was a rare opening, now since JB has the account they go through drivers like underware.

Agreed Grocerythrower. JB has ruined everything and companies like them. And it's only getting worse. It's always good to see the faithful private company trucks making their daily deliveries. I see all the major foodservice companies down here daily not to mention the smaller companies. Like Blue line which does Little Caesars. SoFo Foods which does many pizza /italian restaurants down here. Lisanti foodservice out of Dallas which also does pizza places. I see the Dawn trucks backed up to the donut shops early in the morning. I hope Papa Johns and Dominoes keep their thing going and don't get stolen by JB Hunt.. as well as these smaller companies.

I agree with GT, some of this outsourcing is absolutely ridiculous. I was watching a video in You Tube and the man was talking about his career as a school bus driver. He said currently he works directly for a school district and drives a board owned school bus so everything is okay much better then working for a contract company this guy flat out said contract companies are not good doesn't matter if it's JB Hunt or a School Bus company. He said though that he lived in another state and drove a school bus for a contract school bus company that had a contract with some two bit school district and he said working for the contract school bus company was awful.

He said the pay was $10.50 an hour, which to me is absolutely terrible all that liability of driving a school bus for that kind of money my god I worked for a janitorial company at night time was mostly on my own unsupervised with no liability and I got paid $2.00 more an hour then that.

He said the kids would come on the bus and mouth off and pretty much do what they please and because your a contract school bus company the principal of the school that he picked up at had no motivation to do anything about bad behavior after all he was not one of them he was some third party red headed step child and the school bus company wasn't going to do any thing about bad behavior because they want to keep the contract and not rock the boat at all. It's all about the all mighty dollar and passing the buck. At least with a board owned school bus and a school bus driver employed by the school district everyone has to work together unlike with some goofy outsourcing third party situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
While were on this subject of contract companies. I worked for a contract janitorial company, it was at night time at a big community college in Cleveland. It was a situation I do not really ever want to repeat. I quit after 13 months and haven't ever looked back. To be fair management of the company I worked for was okay to me personally, but the over all situation was ridiculous. These school districts and the people who run them can be so out of wack and so clueless at times it drives you crazy. When I worked for that company, the school we worked for treated us like garbage our company tried to make things okay or the best they could be, but the school district in this case the college treated us like absolute trash. It was very difficult all day long all I got was phone calls from management about complaints that were coming in and the people who worked for the college all they did besides nothing useful was complain and tell us how they all knew better and could do it better.

The college used to do everything in house they would run a first second and third shift in house janitorial staff, they would run there own cafeteria, they would run there own book store they would run there own snow plowing and landscaping and run there own building services. Well over the years they started cutting they kept there own in house janitorial staff to a degree, but they are there only to work during the day and they are useless they just pass the buck on to the third party and these supervisors who work for these colleges are so intellectually lazy it's ridiculous. The one policewoman at the college she would talk to me at night she said "Yeah when I started here in 1991 it wasn't like this, the college just started outsourcing everything as quick as they could our guys used to do it all you would have custodians who made good money had nice benefits and worked here 30 years now you get some cracker jack contract company in here who's under the gun to go as cheap as possible and at the same time make a profit and that means they can't pay anybody anything and nobody gives a flip."

The other problem was the company I worked for was goofy in the way it was structured and my boss tried to rationalize it, but I never agreed with the way they did things. What the company I worked for would do is pick pie in the sky sales numbers that could not be attainable and then hammer and cut our account to make money so we got garbage equipment and low pay. Well the college we worked for while they outsourced the cleaning it didn't mean they didn't want to be involved the plant managers pretty much hammered on my supervisors, all they did was boss them around and I mean it got to the point where the college was telling the company it hired how the company should go about it's own internal company business. My supervisor had to run every insignificant decision he made up the flag poll to college management and you know while it looks good on paper all these ridiculous liaisons between the college and the company and trying to beat water out of a rock to make a profit which is all these contract companies do because they bid stuff so cheap and then usually give away the farm on the contract.

The janitorial company I worked for you could have not negotiated a worse contract then the one they negotiated it was awful, the custodians who worked for the college directly on first shift were making about $20.00 an hour and had full benefits. The custodians who worked for the company I worked for were making $9.00 an hour. The company I worked for ran through workers like "people change underwear" ha-ha. We had thefts, and broken equipment and all kinds of trouble. I am happy to be out of that situation now.

I mean you would think someone with some brains would say "You know from an operational standpoint things were better when we handled all this stuff internally." I mean it's one thing if a big construction project that needs to get done or something that is not a day to day thing comes up and it just a one off thing and your really not tooled up to do that one particular job that's different, but I think some of this outsourcing and other stuff is really what's killing the country in a lot of ways and you know I mean I am just a kid I'm 25, but I see all this and I don't like it, it's just not right.

Agreed Grocerythrower. JB has ruined everything and companies like them. And it's only getting worse. It's always good to see the faithful private company trucks making their daily deliveries. I see all the major foodservice companies down here daily not to mention the smaller companies. Like Blue line which does Little Caesars. SoFo Foods which does many pizza /italian restaurants down here. Lisanti foodservice out of Dallas which also does pizza places. I see the Dawn trucks backed up to the donut shops early in the morning. I hope Papa Johns and Dominoes keep their thing going and don't get stolen by JB Hunt.. as well as these smaller companies.
Papa John's just took over the transportation of the delivers from their commissaries. The transportation side is known as "Trans-Papa". Cardinal Logistics had the contract. Guess Papa John's finally figured out that it was better to handle it themselves.

Papa John's just took over the transportation of the delivers from their commissaries. The transportation side is known as "Trans-Papa". Cardinal Logistics had the contract. Guess Papa John's finally figured out that it was better to handle it themselves.

You know that's a good point, who would know your business better then you. JB Hunt does not know my business better then I know my business. The school bus company might tell me they know what my school district needs and how to best handle my problems, but they really don't. JB Hunt or any kind of school bus contract carrier might tell me they can save me money, but how can they? Well we all know the answer to that the only cost they can control is labor they can set the pay rate for the drivers, mechanics and dispatchers at a fairly low rate and then take it from there. Obviously they may get a break on fuel and a break on parts for the trucks and trailers and also a break from Freightliner, International and Wabash Trailer on new equipment, but at the end of the day stuff still costs what it costs. Wabash trailer is not going to sell trailers at a loss.

The other problem is, you have no control over a 3rd party company all you can do is complain and see how they react, but at the same time the 3rd party has there own policies and business to run and they have to make money at it and so there going to act in there best interest which isn't always in your companies best interest.

RR don't tell GT that papa john's has there own fleet. He'll go there and eat all there pizza and get fat lol.

That's the one thing that does worry me about working for a steel company. So many steel companies/distributors around here have went to 3rd party carriers. Marmon keystone and castle metals is ran by Ruan. Lapham Hickey is ran by master transfer, central steel is done by all state delivery and ryerson is done by CRSt. I heard a couple years ago Ryder came into EMJ and tried to get the contract but we do so many stops a day on one truck that they said they couldn't do it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I see CRST pulling for Ryerson up here in Cleveland. Olympic Steel here in Cleveland is still there own private fleet or at least I think they still are.
It's really a shame all these companies passing the buck $$$ it's exactly like GT said all in the name of the all mighty dollar. The thing I don't get is this, fuel costs what it costs, a truck and trailer cost what they cost, CRST, JB, and the rest of these places can only go so cheap and at what point does it blow up in everyone's face and JB or who ever have to come back to the company and say "Okay remember that price we gave you well it just went up a lot."

Now the only thing I can understand would be say a company flat out does not want the trouble of having it's own truck fleet, they don't want operating authority they don't want to deal with log books they don't want to deal with the FMCSA and CSA scores and figure it might not be any cheaper to have JB do it but we don't want the liability so fine let JB Hunt or Ryder deal with all of this.

Of course it's a double edged sword though because you want your customers to be taken care of and with a 3PL provider you could get into some service failures simply because you only have the illusion of management. When I worked for the janitorial company at the school, there was stuff that the school wanted us to do that the company would dance around and not do because they could not afford to do it. They bid the job to cheap and had to make money at it something had to suffer. Plus and it works out like this all the time when your working for a contract company when the contracts up it's up. The janitorial company I used to work for the clocks ticking on the contract they have, I still talk to my boss once in a while from there and the clocks ticking the school does not like to keep vendors around any more then 10 years at the most. This would probably be this companies last go around. Same with trucking I mean eventually these contracts are up then what? They don't always get renewed which is why these poor guys, guys like me who are starting out and get stuck with this stuff move around a lot you go where the work is.

That's really what I don't get, stuff cost what it costs how much are these companies saving by getting rid of there private fleet? 10-30% maybe even less then that maybe even nothing at all?
That's the other thing, when you get rid of your private fleet and sub out to JB or whoever are you allowed to dictate to them how they go about your business? I mean if you tell JB "No we don't want our stuff going on the rail." and JB says "Remember that price we gave you, well the only way we can hold it up is if your stuff goes out on the rail. You have no say at all." I would think it probably doesn't happen quite like that, but at the same time it might look at Papa Johns they pulled it back in house and do it them selves now there's a reason for that.

I mean Wal-Mart still has a fairly large private truck fleet and Quad Graphics has a big fleet as well. Does Gillister Mary Lee still have a big fleet of there own? Last I saw them a Hogan truck was pulling one of there trailers. Heck Pepsi Food Service had there own private fleet before Pepsi Corp dropped Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and KFC in 1997 and McLane took over, but McLane is a private fleet.

I know Blue Line Foods is owned by Mike Illich who is the founder of Little Caesar's which is why Blue Line Foods does all the Little Caesar's locations and I think Blue Line also does who ever else want's to buy from them, so there private fleet is probably going to be around for the long haul. I mean I see pictures though JB Hunt pulling Jack in the Box trailers and Hardee's and Carl's Jr trailers.

Jerry and Linda H were the owners of Daylight before the present owner bought them out and gave transportation to JB, Jerry and Linda only asked that the fleet break even, if they made money great, but all they ever expected was to break even, they were proud of their fleet, they also knew the advantage of having it, like loyal caring employees, and thats exactly what they had in their truck drivers, they knew we had pride in the company and our jobs, they knew we would take care of the product, equipment, and donut shop owners at all costs.
The present owner didn't get that, all he saw was saving a few bucks, it was really sad.

I agree with GT, some of this outsourcing is absolutely ridiculous. I was watching a video in You Tube and the man was talking about his career as a school bus driver. He said currently he works directly for a school district and drives a board owned school bus so everything is okay much better then working for a contract company this guy flat out said contract companies are not good doesn't matter if it's JB Hunt or a School Bus company. He said though that he lived in another state and drove a school bus for a contract school bus company that had a contract with some two bit school district and he said working for the contract school bus company was awful.

He said the pay was $10.50 an hour, which to me is absolutely terrible all that liability of driving a school bus for that kind of money my god I worked for a janitorial company at night time was mostly on my own unsupervised with no liability and I got paid $2.00 more an hour then that.

He said the kids would come on the bus and mouth off and pretty much do what they please and because your a contract school bus company the principal of the school that he picked up at had no motivation to do anything about bad behavior after all he was not one of them he was some third party red headed step child and the school bus company wasn't going to do any thing about bad behavior because they want to keep the contract and not rock the boat at all. It's all about the all mighty dollar and passing the buck. At least with a board owned school bus and a school bus driver employed by the school district everyone has to work together unlike with some goofy outsourcing third party situation.

You hit a hot point with me on this one.
My wife didnt understand at first, but outsourcing of school bus service is the #1 reason why I have her drop our son off at school herself. Durham and First Student are always running ads around here looking for drivers, "training provided". They pay crap which leads to high turnover, and their training is 12 weeks to get someone a CDL. Sysco won't let someone drive a box of chicken tenders around with less than 2 yrs experience...why would I be ok with a new CDL holder with 3 months training driving my kid around? They don't maintain their vehicles either, every summer just before the school year starts at least one of the news stations in town does a story at a bus yard with a state trooper talking about how many vehicle OOS notices were issued in the pre-school year inspections they do. The purpose of the story is to make people feel better because it looks like the state's on top of it, but to me it illustrates just how poorly they maintain their fleet. They know about the inspections this time of year and still have problems, what kind of shape do you think those brakes and tires etc. are in the rest of the year?
Understand I'm FAR from being overprotective in every other aspect of my kids' lives, but I'm not putting them on one of those buses. When the school districts owned the buses and employed the drivers they had an incentive to be safe because they didnt want the bad press and lawsuits. Now if there's an accident they don't even issue a statement because they dont own the buses or employ the drivers. It's Durham's issue to deal with.
Whatever savings they realize sure don't keep my damn property taxes from going up every year either...

You hit a hot point with me on this one.
My wife didnt understand at first, but outsourcing of school bus service is the #1 reason why I have her drop our son off at school herself. Durham and First Student are always running ads around here looking for drivers, "training provided". They pay crap which leads to high turnover, and their training is 12 weeks to get someone a CDL. Sysco won't let someone drive a box of chicken tenders around with less than 2 yrs experience...why would I be ok with a new CDL holder with 3 months training driving my kid around? They don't maintain their vehicles either, every summer just before the school year starts at least one of the news stations in town does a story at a bus yard with a state trooper talking about how many vehicle OOS notices were issued in the pre-school year inspections they do. The purpose of the story is to make people feel better because it looks like the state's on top of it, but to me it illustrates just how poorly they maintain their fleet. They know about the inspections this time of year and still have problems, what kind of shape do you think those brakes and tires etc. are in the rest of the year?
Understand I'm FAR from being overprotective in every other aspect of my kids' lives, but I'm not putting them on one of those buses. When the school districts owned the buses and employed the drivers they had an incentive to be safe because they didn't want the bad press and lawsuits. Now if there's an accident they don't even issue a statement because they don't own the buses or employ the drivers. It's Durham's issue to deal with.
Whatever savings they realize sure don't keep my damn property taxes from going up every year either...

You hit the nail right on the head my friend, I do not feel school districts should be outsourcing school busing, custodial/buildings and grounds, cafeteria and other facets of the school business. If you guys read my long diatribe I worked for a contract company at a school and while I was on the custodial staff it would be no different then being a school bus company. The money that was saved by the college or they claimed was saved was just squandered on something else usually raises for the administrators. The janitorial company I worked for had to beat water out of a rock to turn a profit because they bid the job way to cheap and in cleaning you can't ask for a raise and they had us running some of the most awful paper clipped together equipment I ever saw it was the exact same thing as these contract school bus carriers no different. Half the time I had to use my own equipment from my carpet cleaning business to get some of my work done. Like I said I don't work there anymore.

The company the bus driver on You Tube was talking about was Durham he said they are a garbage company absolute trash, management is awful and they bid cheap and work for school districts that are interested in going as cheap as possible so the administrators down at the board of education can line there own pockets he said the school district he worked for was in Washington State and it was a garbage school district. I mean why is it that a school district can have it's own fleet of buses for 50 years and then all of a sudden a regime change comes and suddenly the school is in hot water financially and they decide wow we can get a contract bus company in here and they are going to have brand new buses and equipment and all this "technology" and will save money too! I mean seriously how does that even begin to compute? Like I said stuff costs what it costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's really the whole thing these school bus companies bid these jobs cheap and then because each job has to turn a profit they decide well we can't buy, tires, lights, fire extinguishers, triangles, washer fluid, tie rods, batteries, heater motors on and on and on.