jimmy's world, version 6....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jimmy g, Dec 20, 2014.

1. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

mud likes this.
  2. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

3. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

4. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

Borowitz said if one of them compares the other to Tiny Dancer its all over

5. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

6. Magoo

I don't know which missile system probably that one but there was a show about one in particular in Oklahoma.
    It almost wiped out Oklahoma City one night when it caught fire.
    Did you see that one?

7. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

8. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

[​IMG]

Went on vacation. Spent most of a day visiting TJ's Monticello.

Didn't realize it on a mountaintop, or that he had his slaves spend a year leveling the mountaintop into a plateau. My wife and I gained an entire new perspective of this complex man......

He did write the Va Freedom of Religion Act. He did write the Declaration of Independence. He did insist on the Bill of Rights. He wrote entire books on studying horticulture, and is responsible for much of our understanding of seasons and plant life. He read thousands of books, studying the Best, most simple way of Man governing ourselves in Liberty.

But he also was self absorbed, high spending, and an unnecessarily lavish entertainer. I've always heard that he freed his slaves. Of his approx 300, he freed 5 At his death. At the time of his death, he was so in debt, his children had to sell everything. Over 5,000 acres, Monticello, rare collectibles, everything. His mansion, worth over 200,000 (1826 dollars), sold for 7500. It was sold again, just to be unloaded, for 2500. Today, it's worth over 30 million, bought back by the Jefferson Foundation, from the Levy family. Commodore Levy was America's first Jewish Naval Officer, and he adored TJ, so his family preserved it for America.

He did Great things, for sure. We owe him quite the Debt for our Nation, and Liberty. But he certainly slipped in our minds. No wonder he was the first Democrat Prez....

9. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

[​IMG]
    We went on to tour the Biltmore Estate. Largest home in the USA. 75,000 sq ft. 8,000 acres of gardens.

Most of the comments I've read about 'Commodore' Cornelius Vanderbilt sound like Prez Trump. A Builder of things, pretty much unsociable, people feared being in his way. 8,000 acres, perfectly gardened or manicured. Designed by the best architect of the 1890s, and landscaped by the man who designed the Capitol Grounds, and Central Park. At the time of Vanderbilt's death, he was worth $215 Billion in today's dollars. He died in 1887; his son George had the Biltmore built in 1895. In the basement there's an indoor swimming pool and a bowling alley and workout room. Amazing, in 1895... quite the castle.

He started as a poverty kid. Quit school at age 11 and operated a ferry boat. At 16, he borrowed $100, and bought his own boat. America- what a country!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    Keepingon likes this.
  10. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

11. Magoo

Did they assign you a new route?

12. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Vacation. I did change routes 6 weeks ago tho. Indy to Northern Indiana to El Paso, and back to Indy. Better winters for sure. We're opening new warehouses in Sioux Falls SD, and Fargo ND. Want a job?

13. kboomarang

kboomarang My allah, between pie and mode

Traditional burials are probably still a pretty high percentage in the Dakotas I would guess, are they?

14. Magoo

Fargo? I heard that name somewhere
    the Coen brothers I think.
    Hell no won't go there

15. Magoo

Only the rich and those willing to spend their family into debt.
    I think Trump should include caskets and plots into his new tax reform plan as a little help to Jimmy

16. kboomarang

kboomarang My allah, between pie and mode

You can do a traditional that isn't that much more than a cremation other than a plot, and money shouldn't be the issue when it comes to loved ones, but it's all in how your raised , sounds like you're the coffee can type though.

jimmy g likes this.
  17. Magoo

$550 and they provide the cardboard box. Hard to beat that.

18. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

It's a dying business. Burials are 55% of what they were in 2000. Enough still get buried that I'll reach my retirement, but in 20 .more years it'll probably be a thing of the past.

19. Magoo

I get a letter asking for funds from a cematary one of my relatives is buried.
    They say now that they will inter cremated remains on that same plot ( didn't say what that would cost)
    I always wondered how they pay for maintenance that goes on forever, or until its all turned into a shopping mall.

Truck driving will be a thing of the past too.
    GM got the go ahead to test driver-less cars in New York City