jimmy's world, version 6....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jimmy g, Dec 20, 2014.

1. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Mt Rushmore, Black Hills, South Dakota[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Toured the Custer Battlefield, Crow Agency, Montana. I hadn't realized- the markers are placed where their bodies were found. (Soldiers pretty much only- the Tribesmen carried off their dead before General Terry's men arrived, except two)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The marker with black lettering was George Custer's. His two Brothers also fell there that day; two time Medal of Honor award Thomas Custer, and youngest Brother Boston Custer.

George wasn't aware that the Indians had ever fought back (until the week before, at Rosebud Creek). I guess he thought he'd just ride in with a small force, the Indians would flee, and he'd coast to victory two weeks later in the Democrat Primary for Prez. Ooops...

He split his columns into three. Benteen took the supplies and broke off. Reno took 125 men or so and drove into the camp of 6-7,000 Indians at the South End, where the Humpapa Sioux were protecting. Custer took a small band, circled to the North of the mile and a half long camp, and was met by the fiercest Northern Cheyenne Warriors there were- the elite fighters of their time. The Cheyenne were equipped with Winchester .44 lever action rifles vs the 7th Cavalry's single shots. The killing took 15 minutes. As one surviving Chief said later: 'imagine how sad, when Custer ordered horse soldiers to shoot their horses for cover; they knew they weren't going home'....

3. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

I see that spot on Lincolns left side where Obama's going

4. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

[​IMG]
    This one is hard to see. Reno's 125 men had formed a Civil War style picket line against the Sioux's hundreds. At first the Sioux stalled, dragging hides behind horses to make a dust cloud so the women and children (playing and washing in the Little Bighorn Creek) could escape. Then they started driving back the cavalry. Reno's men tried to drop back leapfrog style, keeping a line to protect while others ran, then letting those fall and protect while the next line protected. In the picture, you can barely see, but those lines left to protect were quickly cut to pieces and the markers show small groups of 3-4 up to a group of about 12.

It worked tho. Major Reno's survivors met Benteen's supply wagons on what is now Reno-Benteen Hill. They held the ground from June 25 thru until the morning of June 27 when General Terry's Battalion arrived. The Indians broke off and left on the 26th.

5. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

6. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

7. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

We also visited my wife's favorite spot. A few miles from My Rushmore, ... The Crazy Horse Memorial. Dedicated to the mistreatment of the American Tribesmen. Crazy Horse was reportedly asked: where are your lands? His reply: wherever my people are buried.
    [​IMG]
    This is a small scale model of the eventual carving in the mountain. The project started in 1942. Crazy Horse's face and 290' long arm are almost finished. His horse will take more years and funds. All private funds. The Lakota Chief Henry Standing Bear hired Sculptor Korczak Zialkowsky to carve the mountain. He worked alone until his boys grew enough to help. Mostly he worked the 2000' climb only with the help of Budah the antique air compressor. If you expand the picture of the sculpture and look thru the hole below his arm, you can actually see the 690' tall carving in the mountain.

[​IMG]
    Buda would normally wait until Korczak was at the top, and then sputter to a stop. Korczak would have to climb down, start it back up, then climb again. They told us Budah normally kaputed 9 times a day, until enough funds were raised to buy a better one...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korczak_Ziolkowski

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  8. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

I thought you were staying in Stuff YOU like???:tr10driving03::hilarious:

9. Magoo

You have good stuff

jimmy g likes this.
  10. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Thanks!

11. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

I can bore with many many many many pics of Yellowstone....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

[​IMG]
    Old Faithful erupting...

[​IMG]
    Not sure if you can spot the Bald Eagle?

13. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

14. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Took some talking, but Wife talked me into a selfie....
    I'm the one on the left...

[​IMG]
    Whoooops! Wrong picture!

This one's better:

[​IMG]

Magoo likes this.
  15. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Finally got a pic of #1 son (from the My Friend Lowell story -first post of jimmy's world - the 6'7" small forward.)

Central Restaurant Supply's Employee of The Month! Sales team, he could sell ice cream to Eskimos!
    [​IMG]

Magoo likes this.
  16. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

17. Magoo

I seen a film and I think it was in the jungles of India where the tigers live. The tigers like to jump on your back from behind. So the people wear hats with big eyeballs on the back, seems to help although it looks a little goofy if you forget to take it off in town

jimmy g likes this.
  18. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

In 1978 we were in Estes Park Colo. I had the brilliant idea that my 9 year old nephew and I could climb down a cliff, walk about 4 miles to a Ranger Station, and my wife could drive there and pick us up. Bright idea. Walking thru the pines at twilight- half way- we saw huge cat tracks in the snow, going the same way we were. The tracks went for a mile, then stopped.by now I was scouting above and on the ground, nervous as all get out. Stupid me, in snow, a cats playground, with a nine year old and a pocketknife.

I told my friend later about it. Obviously we made it with no issues. His comment- you'd have been fine. The cat would've gone for the boy....

19. Magoo

Joe Hutto makes nature films lived with the mule deer for 6 years in wyoming said he was attacked once by a cougar. Didn't hear any details maybe in his books. He lives life to a different drummer
    It's not in the film but its a good one to watch if you like the west . trailer

20. Magoo

Oh yes that Estes Park is an experience of a life time