ABF | Job Classifications

Tater Chip

TB Lurker
Credits
I was told by a line driver the other day as he was walking out to his truck,that in the future ABF would love to have us like other LTLcompanies,you come in the morning and you could be doing anything from linehaul to working the dock. You would never know from day to day your job classification. I am just repeating what he said. There is probably no merit to this but the way things are going,who knows?

Well, certainly this probably couldn't be any surprise to anyone that ABF would pull out of the TMI. If you look at the big players, it's us and YRC. For some reason, I think the cards would be stacked up against ABF's intetions to continue to expand the PSE operation. Which they say is gaining momentum as we speak. Thats okay with me, however the quarterly report revealed their intentions in full. When Murray Blabb stepped up to the plate and gave the pitch for more 'flexibility' for all the drivers. I fully expect them to want to have one classification of employee, Certified Slave. We already have that MB. Easy isint it? Work sleep, work sleep, work sleep, and keep repeating until they say you can go home. Then sleep some more so that when you recover consiencness, the time you've meant to have with your family has now been slept away, and then back to the stalag for 6 or 7 more tours, until the wear you out again. Out there in the prime luxury beat you to death junk trucks that we get to drive. Will it get better after the new contract? Will we ever see easier more comfortale trucks to drive like the Volvos we had in 2001? Will we ever see truck speeds hgh enough to get into the flow of traffic, instead of being targets? Well as it has been said, ou can wish in one hand.......
Will we get premium pay for our efforts? Don't kid yourself. That will be the end of premium pay. We will be all driver-dockman-yardman/hostler if they get what they want. Then you can sit in the drivers room and watch all the newly decided retirees twist-off into retirement. As well as many others who quite frankly, have no desire to work the dock or the yard. It will be interesting to see what they propose.
Remember they are an ABF family. We are ABFs numbered slaves, who simply belong to the family.
If I am not mistaken, pensions and the like are governed by the federal government and ABF would have no access to the funds delivered to your account. I am sure there are others who have better knowledge than me on the subject.

Their goal will be to have combination employees , thats the impression I got from the Q report. Maybe elsewhere in the system, I am not quite sure that will be the case here in Chicago. We have two Local Unions, 710 for the road and dock, and 705 that does local.