Job opening

Sysco Cleveland is posting for 3 drivers in Cleveland and 1 in Columbus. Union shop, good benefits, relatively good equipment, loads improving, routing sucks.

here in harrisburg i got hired right from the start as a shuttle driver got a year and half in 1100 a week plus bonuses they just hired a former yrc driver 3 weeks ago as a shuttle driver not bad when everybody says there is no decent jobs out there i think it comes down to if you want to work or not.

I worked at sysco memphis for 9 years.Great job good company planned on staying until I retired.This job is for young men I was young when I started but as i got older I really started to feel the effects of this job on my body.There were more back,knee,shoulder,neck.and hernia operations at that place than any place i've been.It was sad to see the older men walk around that place all broken down,bent over barley shuffling their feet.,they felt like they couldn't leave because who would take them.this is not a good long term career plan.All those guys that I worked with that ran around like manics throwing groceries never lasted long term watched them all quit or get the back surgery.Know what your getting yourself into!

Freebird i agree with you its a young mans job but i also know quite a few guys thats been doing it 15 to 20 years if not more and there fine. If you push yourself hard and rush all the time you can take care of yourself. I do know a guy at dawn foods who has been there 26 years who has shoulder and back problems. But at dawn you have rotate and put everything away which takes a toll on your body unlike foodservice where you drop and run.

GT am i right or wrong?

Freebird i agree with you its a young mans job but i also know quite a few guys thats been doing it 15 to 20 years if not more and there fine. If you push yourself hard and rush all the time you can take care of yourself. I do know a guy at dawn foods who has been there 26 years who has shoulder and back problems. But at dawn you have rotate and put everything away which takes a toll on your body unlike foodservice where you drop and run.

GT am i right or wrong?

GT am i right or wrong?

I totally agree Brother, having to handle the product multiple times by having to rotate and shelf stuff isn't good, I like the fact that I can just kick out of the stack and go, at daylight donuts we had to rotate stuff too, I was young then, I couldn't imagine having to do all that now days!!

We are still needing guys in Tulsa, Friday I started at 0500 and didn't get back to the yard till 2030, 19 stops 1100 cases, I know that doesn't seem like much, but I was all over the city, Tulsa can be a really big town some days, I think the first truck back wasn't till 1800, we need people really bad, being short handed really sucks, I have worked every Wednesday, (my day off) since I started this bid.

I'm making alot but I sure wish we would put some people on, trouble is, no one wants to work this hard, for those that do the money is definitly there to be had, so any one in my area, PM me if your interested and I will give you the contact info.

I disagree with the statement 'this is a young mans job". Been at it for over 15 years....Marriott Distribution Services, Gordon Food Service and Sysco. I admit I have a little soreness in my back or legs now and again, but if the pain is in my thighs I know its all good. I have watched so many people have hurt knees, backs, shoulders and can see where they are going wrong.....Jumping out of the trailer (especially the freezer), bending over to get cases vs squatting, twisting instead of repositioning the handcart, trying to slow down coming down the ramp using pure muscle instead of running the tire against the rail or using brakes. I think you can go as quick as your capabilities allow, you get hurt when you try to go at someone elses pace. I feel more muscle pain when I try to slow down then when I keep my normal go go go pace. I think we have to train ourselves to defeat the bad habits and try to think long run vs right now. Its only as hard as you make it.

I threw cases for 5 years then I got enough seniority to bid on a relay route and now all I do drive 8 hours a night 5 days a week and earn 48k a year

I disagree with the statement 'this is a young mans job". Been at it for over 15 years....Marriott Distribution Services, Gordon Food Service and Sysco. I admit I have a little soreness in my back or legs now and again, but if the pain is in my thighs I know its all good. I have watched so many people have hurt knees, backs, shoulders and can see where they are going wrong.....Jumping out of the trailer (especially the freezer), bending over to get cases vs squatting, twisting instead of repositioning the handcart, trying to slow down coming down the ramp using pure muscle instead of running the tire against the rail or using brakes. I think you can go as quick as your capabilities allow, you get hurt when you try to go at someone elses pace. I feel more muscle pain when I try to slow down then when I keep my normal go go go pace. I think we have to train ourselves to defeat the bad habits and try to think long run vs right now. Its only as hard as you make it.

I agree Matt, I have seen guys in their upper 50's doing the job, they are slower but you have to expect that, my biggest gripe is my hands hurt, real bad, other than that its just the normal aches and pains, 2 alieve a day does a body good. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i seen a fat guy 400 pounds throwing cases in new mexico i thought he was going to die lol. and even here in arizona we have a driver frankie he retired and came back part time in his 60s slow as hell but he still throws cases

Lol 400 pound fat guy? thats funny. im not a small guy so ill probably die when i go back to it. Im on a night shuttle run i love it but it gets boring and the hours suck. Ive seen alot of older guys doing it to. Has anyone seen woman doing it? I havent

Lol 400 pound fat guy? thats funny. im not a small guy so ill probably die when i go back to it. Im on a night shuttle run i love it but it gets boring and the hours suck. Ive seen alot of older guys doing it to. Has anyone seen woman doing it? I havent

We had a few females that worked at our other accounts in the area. They delivered fish and big boxes of meat. One came down and help us out several years ago. I was chosen as the (un)lucky driver to show her how the account worked. Let's jsut say that she could put a few of our experence drivers to shame:) and before anyone even asks, sorry, I was the worng gender for her.:icon_dance:

There was a guy in Ft Smith AR that worked for Sysco, I ran into him all the time, 90 some cases per hr is the standard there, non union, he was at the very least 350, maybe more, one fat dude, however he towed the line, every single day, I ran into him often at accounts, really nice dude been doing it for years. Tankersley Foods, one of my former employers has a guy running Tulsa that is over 60, he don't look like much but he can still throw the groceries.

Double R...whatever I bet you tucked that thing away and layed over with that swingin lezbo chick..HAHAHA Don't lie!