TForce | job

jamrock

TB Lurker
Credits
hi guys, at this moment i am driving for conway(ccx). The problem that i have is that i am not getting much hours and my bills need to be pay. I have 7 month experience(rookie) would ups freight hire me. When i said i am not getting much hours is that it is so slow and it is june. Couple weeks ago was told that we are going to get alot of hour and that it is going to be busy, but we are so slow. any advice from anyone.

Jamrock,
It's probably pretty slow at all LTL Companies right now due to a bad economy and the high cost of gas. All of them will tell you that it should be better soon, so guys don't get disgusted and quit. It's tough in the beginning, being at the bottom of the board, but if you can stick it out it'll be worth it in the long run. Remember that what you are experiencing now will more than likely be experienced at any new employer you go to in the LTL sector. If you look around here at the different Company Forums you'll see that all are slow right now at alot of locations. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

One problem in quitting,where are you going to go?

Yup the other posters on the boards are right.
Freight drops off at different times during the year.

The LTL trucking industry has always been feast,or famon I've found in my 43 years driving locally in my part of the world.

Just the nature of this business.

Some advice from an old gearjammer.

Your a lot more employeable if your currently working somewhere, than if your out of work.
Employeers look at you in different ways,even though your the same good worker in your own eyes,your not in the eyes of the ones you may want to hire on with.

Better to tighten your belt,and ride it out, than to do something you may regret the rest of your life.

jamrock said:
hi guys, at this moment i am driving for conway(ccx). The problem that i have is that i am not getting much hours and my bills need to be pay. I have 7 month experience(rookie) would ups freight hire me. When i said i am not getting much hours is that it is so slow and it is june. Couple weeks ago was told that we are going to get alot of hour and that it is going to be busy, but we are so slow. any advice from anyone.
Jamrock I have a cousin in CCX and at FXF. I work at UPSF. I wouldn't say any of us are that busy right now. A couple of these guys gave you good advice. I wouldn't jump ship just yet.

Boats said:
Jamrock I have a cousin in CCX and at FXF. I work at UPSF. I wouldn't say any of us are that busy right now. A couple of these guys gave you good advice. I wouldn't jump ship just yet.
That's real good advice . I know it's tempting to go on to greener pastures .But's that's why the turnover rate is upwards of 130% in THE TRUCKLOAD SECTOR
Another thing is that with only 7 months ,it might be hard to walk over to another company.Try to stick it out till the 1 year mark.Things got to get better !

Mike432 said:
That's real good advice . I know it's tempting to go on to greener pastures .But's that's why the turnover rate is upwards of 130% in THE TRUCKLOAD SECTOR
Another thing is that with only 7 months ,it might be hard to walk over to another company.Try to stick it out till the 1 year mark.Things got to get better !
Here's another thing ,check these boards out often .There are ALOT of good people on the boards with alot of GOOD info .You can post direct to the forum with questions ,and in many cases PM a member with a question.
Hope that helps .

Jamrock,

when I started in the industry 19 years ago, I started at Preston as a casual. When they had no work for me, I would walk next door to either Yellow or New Penn to see if I could get a day's work with them as a casual. If that didn't work, I'd get in my car and drive to CF, ABF, or Roadway and do the same. The only problem with that was I had to go to each terminal to collect my paychecks each week, but at least I was able to get at least 3 days work and usually 5 each week by doing this. One thing all these jobs had in common (in my area) was they all belonged to the same Union Local. Even today, you can shape as a casual on several union jobs in order to fill a week. I don't know if you are able to do this in the non union world.

But you also know that union barns lay off in the..

lean times,and they'll call their full timers in before using spare workers.

Most of us drivers that have been at it for awhile know you can't jump around in non-union companies.
But what I've found is that non-union will try to keep everyone working when every they can,insted of laying them off,even if its cleaning up around the terminal.

Also some of us that have vacation time take time off so our lower co-workers can get some time in.

If you see that practise at a union company,its very rare,as most are always looking out for themselves,and could care less for their co-workers.

Just my observation over my 43 years in the LTL trucking industry.

Apostolic said:
Also some of us that have vacation time take time off so our lower co-workers can get some time in.

If you see that practise at a union company,its very rare,as most are always looking out for themselves,and could care less for their co-workers.
Interesting, but that's not what the O drivers we hired in '99 would say....they say just the opposite....that at least there really is some Brotherhood among the Teamsters, where there was none at O. But hey, you can see things the way you want to.

Apostolic said:
lean times,and they'll call their full timers in before using spare workers.

Most of us drivers that have been at it for awhile know you can't jump around in non-union companies.
But what I've found is that non-union will try to keep everyone working when every they can,insted of laying them off,even if its cleaning up around the terminal.

Just my observation over my 43 years in the LTL trucking industry.

Relinquishing a day as we call it is not a rare occurance at all. Many of us gladly give up a day(with or without pay) so that a junior man can get a days work under his belt.

Animo916 said:
Relinquishing a day as we call it is not a rare occurance at all. Many of us gladly give up a day(with or without pay) so that a junior man can get a days work under his belt.
Not here we give so much to the Leo pension plan that, if you don't work you are on your own....Little extreme but I think you get my point.....Non-union it rocks!!!! (please note that the following statement has no more validity than a promise that comes from the VISION)

Apostolic said:

I made my book ( got my card ) during the lay off season because three drivers stayed home to guarantee I would get my 30 days and become a Teamster !

I have done the same for others and will do again if needed .
( Even for you , Skeeter , and Damn Yankee ) :D

nightprowler said:
I made my book ( got my card ) during the lay off season because three drivers stayed home to guarantee I would get my 30 days and become a Teamster !

Will you be my friend? I really need one.:rolleyes:

nightprowler said:

Believe it or not I would do the same for you under the same circumstances.

stldude44 said:
Jamrock,
It's probably pretty slow at all LTL Companies right now due to a bad economy and the high cost of gas. All of them will tell you that it should be better soon, so guys don't get disgusted and quit. It's tough in the beginning, being at the bottom of the board, but if you can stick it out it'll be worth it in the long run. Remember that what you are experiencing now will more than likely be experienced at any new employer you go to in the LTL sector. If you look around here at the different Company Forums you'll see that all are slow right now at alot of locations. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Good advice.

Animo916 said:
Jamrock,

when I started in the industry 19 years ago, I started at Preston as a casual. When they had no work for me, I would walk next door to either Yellow or New Penn to see if I could get a day's work with them as a casual. If that didn't work, I'd get in my car and drive to CF, ABF, or Roadway and do the same. The only problem with that was I had to go to each terminal to collect my paychecks each week, but at least I was able to get at least 3 days work and usually 5 each week by doing this. One thing all these jobs had in common (in my area) was they all belonged to the same Union Local. Even today, you can shape as a casual on several union jobs in order to fill a week. I don't know if you are able to do this in the non union world.

Been there done that. Yes, You are able to do that nonunion. Just try to be available for your main job. If you are a good worker they try hard to hang on to you. And realize you got to feed your family. If not then I question the company you work for. A change might be in order.

nightprowler said:

I see you have DamnYankee and me in the same
company. That's cool with me.:1036316054:

Skeeter said:
Been there done that. Yes, You are able to do that nonunion. Just try to be available for your main job. If you are a good worker they try hard to hang on to you. And realize you got to feed your family. If not then I question the company you work for. A change might be in order.
Well you might need to question the company we work for....one guy has no bid at all and 2 gets cut but purchase power is coming and going out of SLC every day.....

greezy trucker said:
Not here we give so much to the Leo pension plan that, if you don't work you are on your own....Little extreme but I think you get my point.....Non-union it rocks!!!! (please note that the following statement has no more validity than a promise that comes from the VISION)
Yes, and speaking of our pension plan, I have been here 23 years could someone show me some proof of how it works and how much is in the funds?????????????????????