Jockey/Yard Spotter position up north

Discussion in 'Estes Express Lines' started by Maniac373, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Maniac373

Maniac373 Member

Just wondering what anyone can tell me about the Jockey classifiction at Estes? What is the starting pay rate up north? Do you get benefits from day one? Does Estes have a 401k match? How is the equipment? New, Old-- well maintained?

I got a call from the main office, in reply to my online app-- but have yet to hear from the local barn.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. cindig

cindig Member

Not sure exactly what the pay is, it's less than a city driver and more than a dock worker. I know at our terminal it's held to forty hours because they have to pay overtime for that position now.

3. drummerforhire

drummerforhire Well-Known Member

Benefits first day of month after 60 days. 401k match is 50% of up to 6%. Yard jockey equipment is mostly older but some barns are getting new units. Don't know about the pay.

4. hotrodd

hotrodd Active Member

401k is 100% up to 3% or 50% up to 6%. You can pick either way. The match does not start until 1 year.

5. drummerforhire

401k is 50% no matter the amount up to 6%. They used to max out at 50% of 3 and then they upped it a couple of years ago to 50% of 6.

6. jasonthedragon

jasonthedragon FORMER Pumpkin

Pine Brook, NJ has a posting for a jockey position. Their switchers are pretty old the yard is nice and wide open. It's a hub terminal so they're open 24/7 during the week.

7. mildew

mildew Super Moderator Staff Member

Think our yard jockeys in the south get a little over $25 an hour top pay (3 years) time and a half after 40. It'll be higher pay up yonder where the cost of living is crazy

8. Maniac373

Maniac373 Member

Just an update-- I had an interview yesterday, and I am happy so far with what I have been told.
    I was sent for a drug test/physical, and did the authorization for the background check.
    Hopefully I have all good news from here on out, and I am officially hired soon.

Anyone have any idea how long this whole hiring process takes?
    thanks in advance.

9. jasonthedragon

jasonthedragon FORMER Pumpkin

Speaking from recent experience: it takes awhile. Keep calling back and pester them as much as possible so your paperwork gets pushed through faster.

10. Frootloop

Frootloop Well-Known Member

Took me 2 months from start to finish. Maybe it was a sign …

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  11. drummerforhire

After my drug test and physical, I waited for a phone call for about a month. I finally got one from them asking why I hadn't come to work yet.

ltlfan and BigEpuller like this.