TForce | June Meetings - be prepared.

upgf-driver

TB Lurker
Credits
I'd like to encourage all of you to prepare yourselves for the meetings that are coming (referenced in the disgraceful video) next month.

This will be our first chance to ask direct questions. I'm not sure who'll be coming to each barn, but hopefully it'll be someone who knows something. It seems that even the TM's are on the same 'need to know' basis that we seem to be on.

Certainly, I will bring up the waiting time issue and I will have researched what other company's policies are so that I can ask informed questions and will then be able to refute possible uninformed responses.

Along with the waiting time is the fact that many road drivers put in 14 hours a day and only wind up getting paid for about 11 of them and they see no overtime pay, a double screwing. City drivers, I'm sure will ask about getting OT after 8.

Make a list and make sure that you get everything out in the open. If something is left unanswered make sure you follow up on it.

UPS Freight doesn't want us to seek representation from a union, so ask them who we contact with questions.

I'm just a common driver and I actually haven't been here very long so I don't know as much as most of you so you'll be better equipped at helping us make the most of these meetings so that we can get all issues resolved.

Perhaps these meetings will be a waste of our time, but at least those of us who'd like to do this without a union will know that we tried and that we were unsuccessful in communicating with this company. Or maybe they won't be. We'll have to see what happens.

Those of you with many years in the OVNT/UPGF pension, this is your first and best chance to get started at protecting what you want to keep. You have to be proactive in trying to get things resolved without a union, because I can promise you that if we cannot get things like the OT, holiday pay, and waiting time fixed, then the union will have that issue and they'll be able to get a majority vote.

I'm sure UPS will not change things on their own. It'll take either your effort of that of the union. It's really your choice.

you can be proactive,but who is going to back you up? what if you dont like the answers to your list of questions? anybody can be well informed and just accept what anybody throws at them

One point to remember:
In 1978 & 1995 the Teamsters were trying to organize the employees of Overnite.
Both times the employees of Overnite got two pay raises in one year along with other benefits.
In 1995 they gave the hourly employees overtime after 47 hours, and have been reducing the hours ever since.
Here we are 11 years latter and still no overtime after 40.

upgf-driver said:
I'd like to encourage all of you to prepare yourselves for the meetings that are coming (referenced in the disgraceful video) next month.

This will be our first chance to ask direct questions. I'm not sure who'll be coming to each barn, but hopefully it'll be someone who knows something. It seems that even the TM's are on the same 'need to know' basis that we seem to be on.

Certainly, I will bring up the waiting time issue and I will have researched what other company's policies are so that I can ask informed questions and will then be able to refute possible uninformed responses.

Along with the waiting time is the fact that many road drivers put in 14 hours a day and only wind up getting paid for about 11 of them and they see no overtime pay, a double screwing. City drivers, I'm sure will ask about getting OT after 8.

Make a list and make sure that you get everything out in the open. If something is left unanswered make sure you follow up on it.

UPS Freight doesn't want us to seek representation from a union, so ask them who we contact with questions.

I'm just a common driver and I actually haven't been here very long so I don't know as much as most of you so you'll be better equipped at helping us make the most of these meetings so that we can get all issues resolved.

Perhaps these meetings will be a waste of our time, but at least those of us who'd like to do this without a union will know that we tried and that we were unsuccessful in communicating with this company. Or maybe they won't be. We'll have to see what happens.

Those of you with many years in the OVNT/UPGF pension, this is your first and best chance to get started at protecting what you want to keep. You have to be proactive in trying to get things resolved without a union, because I can promise you that if we cannot get things like the OT, holiday pay, and waiting time fixed, then the union will have that issue and they'll be able to get a majority vote.

I'm sure UPS will not change things on their own. It'll take either your effort of that of the union. It's really your choice.

Excellent post and well said I couldn't agree more.

I think every one should keep an open mind but be prepared to voice your opinion. If we don't give our opinion then go union because we don't like what's going on..........did we even try???

go to teamsters.org and read Hoffa's response to the union bashing tape...read what eskew the ceo of ups said...good bye leo.. and mackenzie...hello ups contract.....

Didn't I sign the rule book that they fire me any time they want? I hate to be the guy that ask the wrong question. UPS will throw us a couple of bones to keep the union out. If UPS wants to get rid of us old farts I'll try watch the door on the way out. Maybe I'll ask them if I can have job protection.

falcon465 said:
I think every one should keep an open mind but be prepared to voice your opinion. If we don't give our opinion then go union because we don't like what's going on..........did we even try???

Good point I say the ball is in their court. Who knows maybe Gordon's blunder with the DVD may just give us a better hand in the game. I say the next round of talks will be the deciding factor.

Of course we only have the teamsters word that the CEO really did say those things in a letter. However, we know the teamsters don't lie. Neither does UPS.

http://www.teamster.org/06news/hn_060525_5.asp

Success story

Dose anyone here remember when you had to work for 10 years to receive 3 weeks vacation? Well some years ago it was changed from 10 to 8 years of service to receive 3 weeks of vacation. and at that point you still had to work for 20 years to receive 4 weeks of vacation.

My story begins here.

We had our quarterly meeting and to our surprise the person giving this meeting to us was the head of the benefits dept. After our meeting concluded he asked us if we had any questions. and a fellow city driver stood up and politely said that if you can change the vacations formula for three weeks then why could you not change the vacation formula for the 4 weeks. The driver continue on in saying that it would be reasonable if we received 4 weeks after say 16 years and then sat down. He was thanked for he question and then we were told that he would consider the request.

It was about a month later and it was announced system wide that the vacation was being changed from 3 to 4 weeks starting at 16 years.

"And now..... you know the rest of the story!"​

I'm with you Skeeter,i only trust 3 in this world

Jesus Christ,my church,and my wife I've lived with for 37 years.

When I was a Teamster the only voice I had was when I agreed with what they were doing.
any oppossing ideas were not healthy.

I can't trust my co-workers because of their selfish attitudes their only looking out for what they can get.
I pray for them because selfish people become very lonely as life goes on.

Theres just no way I'd ever trust my TM,he's lied to my face many times.
Not a very nice way to be an authority figure.

I don't have to deal with anyone highier than him,so I've got to give them the benefit of the doubt,either way.

Guys have said their sick of hearing Leo's mission statement.

But if you think of it,he's always said over time it will come to pass.

Who knows how much time he's talking about?

If you want to Look it up theres very good advice in the Bible that I live by (Proverbs 3:5&6)

May the Lord direct your path it works for me.

I hope that there is real ups managment at these meetings and not "O" managment. Otherwise it will be like talking to a wall.

upgf-driver said:

Since I am one of the many employees who gives up 10 to 15 hours free delay time per week. I have made many phone calls in the past few weeks. I have spoken to the terminal manager, I have called head of central dispatch, I have called all the phone numbers in the new upsf policy books, I have called Richmond, I have called upper managment, When they get back to me I will let you know. Don't expect to here from me on this issue. NO ONE CARES!!!!

The CD came out, The Teamsters are talking. The Upsf employees are talking union. Has anyone from upsf asked the employees what their issues/complaints are. NO!!!!!!!!!!!Has anything changed for the better. NO!!!!! Forget about it!!!!!!!!!!!

BusterNite said:
The CD came out, The Teamsters are talking. The Upsf employees are talking union. Has anyone from upsf asked the employees what their issues/complaints are. NO!!!!!!!!!!!Has anything changed for the better. NO!!!!! Forget about it!!!!!!!!!!!
Pass out the union cards get them all sign take them back to the union hall,you will know you have done the rite thing than..:bgroovy:

Silverhawk1 said:
Dose anyone here remember when you had to work for 10 years to receive 3 weeks vacation? Well some years ago it was changed from 10 to 8 years of service to receive 3 weeks of vacation. and at that point you still had to work for 20 years to receive 4 weeks of vacation.

My story begins here.

We had our quarterly meeting and to our surprise the person giving this meeting to us was the head of the benefits dept. After our meeting concluded he asked us if we had any questions. and a fellow city driver stood up and politely said that if you can change the vacations formula for three weeks then why could you not change the vacation formula for the 4 weeks. The driver continue on in saying that it would be reasonable if we received 4 weeks after say 16 years and then sat down. He was thanked for he question and then we were told that he would consider the request.

It was about a month later and it was announced system wide that the vacation was being changed from 3 to 4 weeks starting at 16 years.

"And now..... you know the rest of the story!"​
We get 4 weeks vacation after you have completed 15 years. This takes affect on January 1st after your completed 15th year. This has been "O" policy and have not heard of any changes from Upsf yet!!

mud-flap said:
the CEO of UPS did not know about the DVD sooo Leo and ''G'' Mac did this without asking??? :cool:

AND....Mud-Flap, when UPS was looking to buy "O", I'm sure they new nothing of Leo and Mac's view of the Union. I'm sure the DVD took the CEO of UPS by total surprise....:surprised: :duh: :duh: