SAIA | June raise

I think you guys should start your own trucking company and pay your drivers $30 dollars per hour (ot after 6hrs)

And give free health care to the entire family (cousins and close neighbors Included)

As soon as you get the business off the ground let me know so I can fill out an application.

Until then I will stay put. After much research I have decided that Saia is the best deal going for me, since I don't like wearing brown socks and shaving twice a day.
Some guys would complain ... Even in paradise.

Saia does not absorb anything..that compensation is reflected in whatever you get paid..Businesses aren't here to provide healthcare to their employees..And besides it is a tax write off..No benevolence here RT..
Exactly. The insurance premiums paid by Saia (or any other company for that matter) have HUGE tax benefits. So these corporations set it up where they provide these benefits to employees or give it to Uncle Sam. Do not be fooled for a second. This isn't charity Saia is giving us...
Ya'll belong in a team truck together !

Ya'll belong in a team truck together !
Ignorance is bliss.

I have no dog in the Saia fight. LTL is not my cup of tea anymore. And everything that was said was factual. Which was all I was trying to say. RT might be happy with Saia, but also facts are facts. Though they are darn stubborn things.

So while you can be a company man, the fact is no company ever absorbs any costs. It is either avoided in taxes or passed on to the consumers or employees get less pay..Take a class in economics and you may have a clue of what I am talking about.

Ignorance is bliss.

I have no dog in the Saia fight. LTL is not my cup of tea anymore. And everything that was said was factual. Which was all I was trying to say. RT might be happy with Saia, but also facts are facts. Though they are darn stubborn things.

So while you can be a company man, the fact is no company ever absorbs any costs. It is either avoided in taxes or passed on to the consumers or employees get less pay..Take a class in economics and you may have a clue of what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Ignorance is bliss.

Look Saia does not have to or( any company for that matter ) have to offer benefits , which medical insurance is. But that would not make it a very attractive place to be employeed. They would not have many quality employees, why wound't they just kick us into the healthcare exchange and pay the penalty ? It would be cheaper on the company. Any company that offers benefits , while those benefits are 100% tax deductible, still have to pay taxes on them. So a typical corporate tax rate is about 40% ,and if Saia, let's say spent 10,000,000 on benefits last year they will still take a tax hit of 40% on that money. They do not recoup the whole amount through a tax write off. And with profit margins in the ltl industry being very slim, where only pennies on the dollar are made, I would say yea it affects the companies bottom line ! I may not be as knowledgable in economics as you Century Class , but I'm not stupid either. An attractive benefit package will get you good employees, and Saia has a good one . They have kept the premiums down for years now and still have free insurance for employees after 10 years !

Ignorance is bliss.

If no company ever absorbed any costs their profit margin would be outrageous. While there are some costs that can be passed on to the consumer all costs cannot. That statement imo is ludicrous . And why is someone a" company man "or "in management " because they don't drag their company through the mud ? Maybe some people are happy with their employer and not always harping on the negative.

It's ok to be happy with Saia. The company does some things well. But, the company does some things not so well sometimes, like everyone else. Yes things are good now, but let us never forget the thousands of employees who lost jobs during the recession. People with families. People with bills to pay. No notice given, just turn in your badge and get lost. The company wasn't prepared for an economic downturn then, and they aren't now. Big reason the company pays for health insurance after 10 years is the fact that such a small percent actually stay that long. I would like to see what the average driver tenure is for Saia versus the competition. Management makes decisions based on what is best for the financial statement, and nothing more. There is no family or loyalty, we are all just a number and when your number is drawn, it's bye bye. No severance, no notice, just get out. And the guys that make the decisions? They sit behind a desk and pat each other on the back congratulating each other, and arguing about who's the best. Drive their company cars (write off), go to lunch (write off), and call drivers complaining about why you can't make times or stops, meanwhile forgetting that we aren't the only guys using the road, and sometimes there is a lot of traffic. Each and every one if them should take their bonus check and give it back if they care so much about the company. At least that, or some similar, gesture would show that they were committed to the long term success of the company. The really big, successful companies built their companies in relationships and teamwork. These are 2 values that Saia really struggles with from the top down. They give raises to shut us up for a while, and get us to ignore root problems. It's all smoke and mirrors.

I originally went off on a rant against BB and CC .... but decided to let it go. Instead I will offer them (not they will understand) .... "The Serenity Prayer" ...... God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The courage to change the things I can. And the wisdom to know the difference. They will never get anywhere with that negative attitude. They use TB as a platform for a personal crusade laced with a condescending tone. SAIA most certainly doesn't want employees to stay if they don't want to be here. They want employees that are grateful for what they bring to the table. Great healthcare at affordable rates ... and a competitive pay structure that pays OT after 45. SAIA is the best non-union carrier in the business today. Nothing is perfect but SAIA is about as close as you will ever get in the LTL business. And I am very grateful and proud to work for them. Trust me when I say this. The grass isn't greener on the other side. Been there!

Last edited:
I'm just wishing that Saia was as grateful to have some of the best drivers in the business, as we are to have jobs with one of the best companies in the business. Some things are bigger than money. That's all.

Instead of being critical of people in authority over you, be happy you're not responsible for everything they have to do. The job they do is not as easy as you think. I would advise many of you to think long and hard before you go throwing stones.

I'm in so cal so get OT after 40 , it's not a perfect company but I've been here for a while n it's getting better every year as for the layoffs when the economy took a crapper a lot of companies laid drivers off , we hired 3 that got laid off during the recession from Conway this year , I hear drivers complain from mostly every company Conway drivers are scared to hit docks too hard cuz of camera , OD has to work over 55hrs to start getting OT plus they have to wear those horrible green shirts lol Estes is round the same 50+ for OT our dock guys get paid more than reddaway drivers as for how long people stay here just check the directions emag for this moth there's pleanty 10+ years

You folks have all made very valid points, and I have taken them all to heart. I received guidance from God today, and He helped me draft my letter of resignation. Like a huge weight has been lifted from me. Not sure where I'm going or what I'm doing, but ultimately the harassment will now stop. It's been a great journey gentlemen, and I wish you all the best...

You folks have all made very valid points, and I have taken them all to heart. I received guidance from God today, and He helped me draft my letter of resignation. Like a huge weight has been lifted from me. Not sure where I'm going or what I'm doing, but ultimately the harassment will now stop. It's been a great journey gentlemen, and I wish you all the best...
I've read your post for some time now. I don't really understand. You almost make it sound like your TM has a personal agenda against you. Now if you are a excellent driver and the best of the best as you claim it just doesn't make any sense. Why would a TM harass you for no good reason? I'm not saying I don't believe you I'm only saying it doesn't make any sense. Is it a personality conflict? Did you do something to make him have it in for you? Are you a arrogant smart ass with either him or the customers .... Dispatchers? There must be more to this story than you are telling. Could you just give me one example of harassment? Truly, I'm just trying to understand. Our TM's in Dallas and Garland treat us with complete respect. If you do your job in a professional manner our TM will go out of his way to tell you what a great job you are doing. I just don't understand why a TM would have a personal agenda against you.