SAIA | June raise

What are their standards? Why is it impossible to hire two city drivers? I'd think people would jump on that if they knew you guys were hiring.

I work for another LTL in Columbus. A few years ago, the end on 2008, they let me go. Three weeks before Christmas. I went down to the food bank on the first Monday of the new year. They were hiring for two drivers. By noon that day they had over 500 applications and had run out of papers for people to fill out. It was crazy how badly the slow down had hurt drivers in the area.

Fast forward to today. All the LTL in this town are hiring. OD seems to be the only one with a list or any wait. Many Holland and YRC flipping to UPS for feeder jobs. The rail is so backed up there are people pulling containers EVERYWHERE. Drivers have options. How do you convince a guy to lug school books in with a dolly ? Show up at a construction site with a pile of crap ? Hump stuff off with his bare hands ? For what ?

Columbus has become a difficult market. The guys we hire can't even do the job. They get sent out with five stops and bring two back. And all dispatch will say is that at least they got three or that's three less for us to do tomorrow. It's been very tough. And the shortage is going to make it worse. Some of these companies are sitting on their hands. Making record profits. They could be more competitive with wages and benefits. They choose not to be.

And the hoops you have to jump through for a Hazmat endorsement has become obscene. Guys are complaining about five or six months of wait for the fingerprinting to be processed.

A lot of the problems with the trucking industry have pushed people away. And in this area we have other jobs that pay similar. For less stress. Less getting jerked around. It's tempting. I have a few places I keep my eyes on. I could have a 10 minute commute. Eliminate a city tax that takes more than the state does. The savings in taxes and fuel would more than make up for the loss in pay.

The problem in Cowtown isn't that Saia or anyone else doesn't pay like so and so. It's that people have options. And they are choosing to be home more and make less money because the big bucks just aren't there any more. The reward isn't enough to be worth the risk. Let alone the toll on the family.

My two cents. Sorry for the rant.

I agree 110% with what high speeds said. I was making a lot of the same arguments that you are making. Drivers are the ones with the power now, and the companies that can't figure that out will get hurt in the end. I left Saia and now I'm running daytime runs, 700 miles per day at .60/ per mile. Show up at destination, drop and hook a van, then turn around and head back. 5 day workweek. You do the math. Better insurance and best yet, no central or TM breathing down my neck! Life is good!!!

I agree 110% with what high speeds said. I was making a lot of the same arguments that you are making. Drivers are the ones with the power now, and the companies that can't figure that out will get hurt in the end. I left Saia and now I'm running daytime runs, 700 miles per day at .60/ per mile. Show up at destination, drop and hook a van, then turn around and head back. 5 day workweek. You do the math. Better insurance and best yet, no central or TM breathing down my neck! Life is good!!!
So happy for you buck !

I left Saia and now I'm running daytime runs, 700 miles per day at .60/ per mile. Show up at destination, drop and hook a van, then turn around and head back. 5 day workweek. You do the math. Better insurance and best yet, no central or TM breathing down my neck! Life is good!!!

who are you driving for?

24.66 hr in Dallas plus OT after 45 .... 60cpm ..... 401K match to 6% ... Great healthcare and a great working environment make this job paradise. They actually pay me to do this. A few have moved on and I wish them the best. They think perhaps there is a job out there that is perfect. A job in which no problems ever exist. As a 60 year old man that has seen it all I'm here to tell you that doesn't exist. But as jobs go ... SAIA is as close to perfect as you could ever get. I'm very proud to wear my uniform and to be part of a culture that understands we have no need for a union. Never have and never will.

Last edited:
I start training on Tues. I can't wait either!!!!
And we can't wait to get you on board. We need good drivers to help us grow. Drivers that want to be part of the culture we share. Drivers that understand that despite the ups and downs of any job you push through and pay your dues. The company takes care of us so we take care of them. We show our loyalty by remaining union free and giving them the best of what we have everyday. Even on our bad days. The days we all have. If you can learn that for anything good in life a price must be paid. That nothing is free and there are no short cuts to making it to the next level. You will thrive here and move up if that's what you want. Just put in some time and pay your dues and the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
Yeah that raise gone look good. Yall city guys get good overtime don't you I be seeing guys going home at midnight and 1am when I'm heading out on my line run. I just can't do city 2 many small places 2 go dragging a 53fter

Yeah that raise gone look good. Yall city guys get good overtime don't you I be seeing guys going home at midnight and 1am when I'm heading out on my line run. I just can't do city 2 many small places 2 go dragging a 53fter
You could do it and you know it. You are just use to running the system and making the big bucks. We city guys know what you system guys gross a week for just windshield time. I'm not saying its easy but I am saying you wouldn't want to take a pay cut. Just messing with you "rider" :1036316054: :victorious: and you know that. Most those guys you see coming in that late are the dock to driver guys starting at 3PM .... Just paying dues like all the rookies do. Although I've been known to do those late night swaps too. I don't mind a bit because we all can use a little extra cash.

Last edited:
I hope that's true. Hey runaway, what's the latest shift for p&d?
Most new hires off the street start no later than 11:30 in GRL ... Probably the same in DAL ... But I'm not certain about DAL so it would be best to ask your dispatcher. I will say you must be flexible starting out. If you are a real go getter you could start at 8:30 .... There is no set time to speak of at first. But in most cases 12 would be the latest for a new hire coming in off the streets.

Have you ever done a line haul run on your days off? They wouldn't let you go to far right if so?
You can but you must be certified by riding with a line haul driver for a week. But most of those go to senior guys although from time to time you can get one. I have no interest in that. I've paid my dues and don't need the money.