Yellow | Junior man on the pole.........

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
What is the hire date of the most junior man in your classification?? I got to thinking about this the other night, at 671 (on the dock) I think it is '99. When I look at the seniority list there was a gap between '78 and '88. Looks like it may be another 10 year gap before RDWY has a growth spurt and starts hiring on the dock. With all of the OT, we need some new guys full time, but with the economy up and down I think they are afraid to hire new guys. Just a thought. DS.

Here at 211 on the dock they have hired 15 to 20 guys in the last 2 to 3 months. We heard that they hired a lot in Buffalo right after the last change.

211Dockman said:
Here at 211 on the dock they have hired 15 to 20 guys in the last 2 to 3 months. We heard that they hired a lot in Buffalo right after the last change.
Thanks 211DM..........before the new guys were hired, do you know what the hire date of the bottom guys were?? DS.

Docksteward said:
Thanks 211DM..........before the new guys were hired, do you know what the hire date of the bottom guys were?? DS.

DS I looked at the list today 4 hired in '05, 4 hired in '04, and a bunch hired in '00 before and after the change of ops in July '00.

Thanks, like I said we have a group that was hired in '99 and 2000 that have really had it tough the last 6 years. We have a couple of guys that have only earned 1 or 2 years on their retirement because of layoffs!! A couple that can switch and have their CDL's were lucky enough to get vested every year. DS.

hmmm, wondering if we'll have a layoff at 120 this year. we haven't had a big layoff in years. Thinking there might be one this year.

Boy I hope not. We all know in this business, after Christmas everything slows down. Last year we had a "hard layoff" around Nov. 15th. Meaning no matter how much freight we had, or how bad service suffered, RDWY didn't call any laidoff men for work until Jan. 15th. We were still plenty busy then, but they laidoff men anyway. We then went to 50 hrs per week with all the OT you wanted on your days off. Now since the COO, we have been working close to that same amount of hours, with nobody in layoff. I just hope they don't layoff like that again.:wacko: DS.

Abraxas said:
just got the word today-b0tt0m 8 on the dock at 120 laid off as of sunday
Welcome to the boards, Abraxas......do you work the dock?? We have several of your displaced brothers working down here at 671 (Winston-Salem). DS.

D.S. Whats the weather like down there? Thinking of turtle, makes me rember him all bundles up in his blue suit. Always wondered how he moved in that thing!

serta said:
D.S. Whats the weather like down there? Thinking of turtle, makes me rember him all bundles up in his blue suit. Always wondered how he moved in that thing!
Hey serta.......It hasn't been very cold yet, so I haven't seen the blue suit. He's on the 07:30 shift, I don't think I have seen him in anything bigger than a couple of thick shirts and a toboggin to cover that skull of his!!:whistling:
DS.

Docksteward said:
LOL.........I sent you guys a picture of him from last month's union meeting, did it get posted? DS.
Hey send me that pic via email, I'll private the addy.