R&L | Junk liftgates gonna get someone killed..

Richard Herbert

TB Lurker
Credits
Anything-Anywhere-Anytime...And we will deliver it on JUNK LIFTGATES...Delivered a tote yesterday that weighed 2950 lbs with JUNK LIFTGATE...

TOTES SHOULD NEVER BE DELIVERED ON LIFTGATES (DANGEROUS)
Of course the liftgate fee's where waived also..(To add insult to injury)

My pallet jack sunk down into the diamond plate steel on the liftgate, making this liftgate useless until they replace this.

The customer called the shipper, and told them NEVER to send a tote out on a liftgate with R&L again. Apparently, they usually send it on a flatbed with a piggy back forklift, but R&L said we can do it for 50 cents cheaper, use us we can deliver it with our junk equipment.

Everyone better plan on an EXIT STRATEGY with this company, they are not buying any new equipment, everything is turning to junk very quickly.

I believe there plan is to operate as long as they can, without spending any money on equipment, and when it becomes unsustainable, sell all the equipment for scrap junk, (which a lot of it is now) and then sell off all the real estate.

Man this company went down the tubes real quick. They must have got into debt over their head.

I dont know about most of you. But I check all wt on my trailier. And if I see the wt is to high I look at the freight. If I feel I can not get it off. My Term calls the customer and inform them we are unable to us a Liftgate due to the wt. Most Customers get a forklift from someone to use. If not it stays at the term till they get one or pick it up.

I had a trailer like your talking about but recently got one of the Budweiser trailers with a brand new liftgate installed on the back of it. My only problem with the trailer is that it only has E track on the tail and in the nose and the landing gear is real hard to crank but thats being fixed right now. Its nice otherwise,a Great dane that looks half way decent.

Do you think we should be delivering totes that weigh over 2900 lbs on a liftgate oneeightyfive???
NO
Since you most likely sit behind a desk
My desktop computer that I'm using sits on a desk, so you get partial credit
and probably have never driven a truck,
I started working on freight docks in 1978 and started driving professionally in 1979, so I guess you're a little wet on that assertion. For the record, what were you doing in 1979? My guess is you were enjoying Sesame Street (that is, if you were even weaned yet)

Attack the post, not the poster!

Last edited by a moderator:
personally i just refuse to put anything that is listed on the bill over about 2200 lbs on a liftgate(and my gate is NEW), i dont care what the gate is rated at, or what we promised the shipper.
and like richard said, that much weight can cause the jack wheels to go thru the aluminum plate in some cases.
not breakin balls richard herbert, just sayin you gota cover your own back cause im not sure they will in cases like this.

I am not attacking you ...You just seem so anti driver in your posts, and pro management.

Was 17 years old in 1979, so was not watching Sesame Street, was in a completely different industry, so I have more experience than just trucking and docks.

Have been driving p&d for over 17 years for this company, behind my ears are dry..

How long have you worked for R&L? (Not long would be my guess) What is you opinion on how they have changed over the last 2-3 years, and have become anti-driver?

FYI, Herbert was my grandfathers name...
NO

My desktop computer that I'm using sits on a desk, so you get partial credit

I started working on freight docks in 1978 and started driving professionally in 1979, so I guess you're a little wet on that assertion. For the record, what were you doing in 1979? My guess is you were enjoying Sesame Street (that is, if you were even weaned yet)

Attack the post, not the poster!

I suspect you all know the difference between a puppy dog and a truck driver, right?

A puppy only whines for three months!

Richard,
How you construed my directing people to the folks that can actually FIX the problems you are concerned with, as being anti-driver is beyond me. Out of curiosity, when have I EVER been anti-driver? I am always pro-safety, and if you are referring to me telling drivers that following another vehicle by less than one second is anti-driver, then perhaps I am guilty as charged.

For the most part, I feel that the topics aired on this board would be dramatically watered down if the "whistle-blower" had to put his name and ID# with a return e-mail address attached to the complaint.

Noone is expected to put themselves in harms way, and if you believe that you have, see the link above.

I suspect you all know the difference between a puppy dog and a truck driver, right?

A puppy only whines for three months!

Richard,
How you construed my directing people to the folks that can actually FIX the problems you are concerned with, as being anti-driver is beyond me. Out of curiosity, when have I EVER been anti-driver? I am always pro-safety, and if you are referring to me telling drivers that following another vehicle by less than one second is anti-driver, then perhaps I am guilty as charged.

For the most part, I feel that the topics aired on this board would be dramatically watered down if the "whistle-blower" had to put his name and ID# with a return e-mail address attached to the complaint.

Noone is expected to put themselves in harms way, and if you believe that you have, see the link above.

No disrespect meant to you but over time here a great deal of your post do seem management friendly and less driver friendly.I can go back and select several if you wish but one recently was the thread on raises. Now don't misconstrue my meaning here,everyone is welcome in this forum,even management however and this is meant for anyone on here that is less than honest about who they are,if you are management and you are pretending to be something your not don't be surprised when people on here see your positive posts on the company and wonder why your so kiss ass. If your not then you haven't been here long enough to understand the reason that others are angry with the changes around here.

No disrespect meant to you
your so kiss ass.
pretending to be something your not

How is calling me a kiss ass not disrespectful? What exactly have I "pretended" to be? I have never spoken an ill-truth, nor lied, nor embellished my credentials......Everyone has an opinion, and I am entitled to mine.......It clearly is different than yours, but yet, due to free speech, I am still entitled to it. As a moderator, I would think that the board owner schooled you on "playing nice" and I also think that name calling MAY have been outside the boundaries of what was considered acceptable behavior by him. If you want to make things better, you would be well-served by tableing solutions to problems, not just identifying the problems. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and hope that you re-thought your comments in the previous post AFTER you hit the "post quick reply" button. Just my opinion, but I think an apology may be appropriate here.

To quote something out of context is rather rude and misleading. I did not call you a kiss ass. If you read the post I direct that to anyone that is coming in here dishonestly pretenting to be what they are not. I clearly said I don't know if you are mangement or not but management is welcome here as long as they are honest about who they are and their agenda. Therefor go back and read the post again then get back to me. I don't owe you any apology.

and this is meant for anyone on here that is less than honest about who they are,if you are management and you are pretending to be something your not don't be surprised when people on here see your positive posts on the company and wonder why your so kiss ass

Anything-Anywhere-Anytime...And we will deliver it on JUNK LIFTGATES...Delivered a tote yesterday that weighed 2950 lbs with JUNK LIFTGATE...

TOTES SHOULD NEVER BE DELIVERED ON LIFTGATES (DANGEROUS)

Funny. Most companies getting things in totes usually have means to unload them. I have yet to see one that doesn't.

Of course the liftgate fee's where waived also..(To add insult to injury)

It's figured into the rate, driver. Just ask the sales parasites.

My pallet jack sunk down into the diamond plate steel on the liftgate, making this liftgate useless until they replace this.

...Because they rust out from the inside. Yours must not have had anything left. I unload 2500 lb skids with my liftgate regularly. Fortunately I'm big enough to move them. The only problem I've seen with that is the fluid reservoir inside blowing apart and having to call a wrecker to lift it back up.

The customer called the shipper, and told them NEVER to send a tote out on a liftgate with R&L again. Apparently, they usually send it on a flatbed with a piggy back forklift, but R&L said we can do it for 50 cents cheaper, use us we can deliver it with our junk equipment.

Oh really? Must be a local company shipping these totes. If it isn't, what manner of for-hire carrier has flatbeds with piggyback forklifts? And while you're at, what manner of company is receiving these totes that doesn't have means to unload them? Do tell, sir.

Everyone better plan on an EXIT STRATEGY with this company, they are not buying any new equipment, everything is turning to junk very quickly.

With the class of drivers that they hire here, it's really no wonder. Stupidity should really be a terminable offense. Had a guy here lose a trailer because the genius rode around with a high hook all day, then he lost it once he got empty because of the tail overhang. He had the trailer axles slid all the way forward like the rest of the pantywaists around here that don't know how to drive. That dude is gonna kill somebody eventually. I'd rather it not be while he's working here, because then the cops will wanna climb up MY rear end every time I get near a scale.

Another example, we got a new vacuum here recently. It won't last long. I used it the other day, and whoever used before me couldn't be bothered to take 10 seconds to roll the hose back up. It's really embarrassing.

Most companies that do order totes do have the means to unload them..Since you asked so kindly, it was a golf course that ordered the tote.
Funny. Most companies getting things in totes usually have means to unload them. I have yet to see one that doesn't.

It's figured into the rate, driver. Just ask the sales parasites.

...Because they rust out from the inside. Yours must not have had anything left. I unload 2500 lb skids with my liftgate regularly. Fortunately I'm big enough to move them. The only problem I've seen with that is the fluid reservoir inside blowing apart and having to call a wrecker to lift it back up.

Oh really? Must be a local company shipping these totes. If it isn't, what manner of for-hire carrier has flatbeds with piggyback forklifts? And while you're at, what manner of company is receiving these totes that doesn't have means to unload them? Do tell, sir.

With the class of drivers that they hire here, it's really no wonder. Stupidity should really be a terminable offense. Had a guy here lose a trailer because the genius rode around with a high hook all day, then he lost it once he got empty because of the tail overhang. He had the trailer axles slid all the way forward like the rest of the pantywaists around here that don't know how to drive. That dude is gonna kill somebody eventually. I'd rather it not be while he's working here, because then the cops will wanna climb up MY rear end every time I get near a scale.

Another example, we got a new vacuum here recently. It won't last long. I used it the other day, and whoever used before me couldn't be bothered to take 10 seconds to roll the hose back up. It's really embarrassing.

I don't want to add anything to aggravation here. But the liftgates are rated for 3000lbs. If you don't feel safe liftgating something down then you should take it up with your dispatcher. I would say if you had a load that was say 2700 plus a jack that weighed 150 that would put you around 2850. So if you weigh 150lbs, that would max that out. I don't know I would just think if something wasn't safe, you wouldn't do it. Just saying.

Well I don't know about your equipment but our Liftgates are rated for 3300lbs no more than that, I have had my share of misshaps but and I hate to say this ,is if it don't work get it fixed write it up I would never liftgate a tote down if I thought the equipment would not handle it, but with that said the lifts on the straight trucks cannot handle a 4x4 skid and is very unsafe a Hazmat spill waiting to happen. I love my lift it makes the work go easier and makes the customer happy when we can lift it to the ground instead of breaking it down , but WIL HEAR ME you want more revenue STOP waiving the dam liftgate fee or at least cut the price of it we should not do everything for free.

"WIL hear me you want more revenue STOP waiving the dam liftgate fee or at least cut the price of it we should not do everything for free"

Have you stopped to look at the fact that the "Free Liftgate Service" decals are being covered up? And do you really expect that customers that have been with us for years will want to start paying now for something they've never paid for before? Free Liftgate Service is what has drawn alot of our customers in because everyone else does charge. Lets say you would usually charge $150 for a L/G service. And the customer says "well so and so will do it for free" then hey you just lost 5 skids per day because you started charging for something you weren't charging for before.

Let's not start charging out the yang now and lose our loyal customers.

Lift gates

"WIL hear me you want more revenue STOP waiving the dam liftgate fee or at least cut the price of it we should not do everything for free"

Have you stopped to look at the fact that the "Free Liftgate Service" decals are being covered up? And do you really expect that customers that have been with us for years will want to start paying now for something they've never paid for before? Free Liftgate Service is what has drawn alot of our customers in because everyone else does charge. Lets say you would usually charge $150 for a L/G service. And the customer says "well so and so will do it for free" then hey you just lost 5 skids per day because you started charging for something you weren't charging for before.

Let's not start charging out the yang now and lose our loyal customers.

I mark every Lift gate I do. I mark every time I wait. I have them sign for it. And I tell them I have no Idea if it will get charged. But I just do my part. It's up to you the shipper and billing. I have 90% lift gate stops. And many inside Del.