Holland | Just a question.

None of the LTL's want to give up pocketing the difference of starting pay to full scale. They treat experienced drivers like a driving school graduate as far as starting wages!!!
It's obvious that without the higher starting pay, the driver shortage will continue. Clearly, their bonuses are more important to them than their obligation to the company is. I admit it, I believe that us veterans of this industry are worthy of much more money than the greenhorns are. We require zero training, and typically have a good driving record and work ethic that comes with us. I guess that some companies would rather have their customer's freight sitting against the fence instead of paying a legitimate wage to veterans of the industry.

Is it factual that some people have been re-hired at top pay, or just CB talk?

Assuming that this was addressed to me........
I have little to no interest in ever working at any YRCW company again. And with the current pay structure, there is zero chance of me ever returning. And unless the starting pay for us veterans was at (or near) topped out, we'd go elsewhere instead of Holland. For guys like myself, the training and experience has value, and you won't get guys like us to come back to help out, paying us less than the competition does. We would require zero training and zero risk, so the company would have to sacrifice some pay to sweeten the bait pile.

I wouldn't say that I'd never come back, but when everyone else has a more stable future, why would we start over at a YRCW company? Starting over there is a risk from our standpoint, so the company is going to have to make sacrifices to ever get any of us back.

My blood still has a hint of orange to it, but not enough to bring me back to low wages and a black cloud hanging over my head.

You know you want to come back, just come back already. It's not as dark as you think. It aint perfect, but I honestly feel we have the best chance to improve out of all the YRCW companies. Bringing back veteran drivers who know the system already can only help.

Alright........I'm going to come clean. I already am back. I've been quietly sitting in the breakrooms with you guys for months. :biglaugh:

Just kidding...............

They can't afford to pay us veterans what we're worth, so that's not likely going to happen. They'd rather pay the school boys a couple dollars less, while they wreck freight and equipment.

Alright........I'm going to come clean. I already am back. I've been quietly sitting in the breakrooms with you guys for months. :biglaugh:

They can't afford to pay us veterans what we're worth, so that's not likely going to happen. They'd rather pay the school boys a couple dollars less, while they wreck freight and equipment.

LOL, so where were you going with this thread anyway?? You are just saying the same thing you've been saying all along. I understand what you're saying in regards to inexperienced dock and drivers, but the current contract was voted on by senior guys who are either no longer here or still are and blaming all on the new people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to happen Wong. Even If you let Jamie beat you every week golfing. None of the LTL's want to give up pocketing the difference of starting pay to full scale. They treat experienced drivers like a driving school graduate as far as starting wages!!!
agree Jamie's Bonus money comes 1st , and moving the customer's freight comes last , so just put that freight in the trap trailer till next week or week after that and park them trailer's out in the loaded line till next week too !! Oh wait Jamie is texting me about our Golf tee times this week !!!

LOL, so where were you going with this thread anyway?? You are just saying the same thing you've been saying all along. I understand what your saying in regards to inexperienced dock and drivers, but the current contract was voted on by senior guys who are either no longer here or still are and blaming all on the new people.
I was ready to quit YRC, and go to Holland!!!

It's obvious that without the higher starting pay, the driver shortage will continue. Clearly, their bonuses are more important to them than their obligation to the company is. I admit it, I believe that us veterans of this industry are worthy of much more money than the greenhorns are. We require zero training, and typically have a good driving record and work ethic that comes with us. I guess that some companies would rather have their customer's freight sitting against the fence instead of paying a legitimate wage to veterans of the industry.

all LTL companies left standing have an interest in lowering pay to truckload scale, they don't care about the driver shortage. this is corporate America telling us what they think of us, nothing more. the problem is, freight guys are worth as much as a ups parcel guy any day of the week, but since guy WANT to relinquish their bargaining power, we get to deal with being dragged backwards. I keep waiting for a major non union ltl to roll out an "independent contractor 1099" model. 35 an hour, no SS, no bennies, no comp, health ins, or unemployment. idiots will flock to it, and screw things up more....

Yrc in Wasau. Contracts do only set minimums. Back in 2000 Roadway in Milwaukee was putting on linehaul drivers. After probation they went right to full scale.

I figured you'd know, you always seem to have an ear to the ground, and its your state. whats up with those redi mix drivers that just organized?

all LTL companies left standing have an interest in lowering pay to truckload scale, they don't care about the driver shortage.
Sure, they'd like to lower the pay, but LTL pay continues to go up.

freight guys are worth as much as a ups parcel guy any day of the week, .....
If you are talking about parcel delivery guys........you couldn't be more wrong. I've done both, and there is no job in the LTL industry that compares to a package driver. They bust their ass......trust me.

Hey Bill,
As a prank, I was going to tell you that I've ran in to you at several different terminals lately and that I would eventually introduce myself to you. And let you stew over it for a while, and let you try to figure out which guy across the table from you that I was..........just to mess with you.
But I decided not to, that would be mean.
And of course..... it would have been a lie.

It would have been hilarious though.:biglaugh:

all LTL companies left standing have an interest in lowering pay to truckload scale, they don't care about the driver shortage. this is corporate America telling us what they think of us, nothing more. the problem is, freight guys are worth as much as a ups parcel guy any day of the week, but since guy WANT to relinquish their bargaining power, we get to deal with being dragged backwards. I keep waiting for a major non union ltl to roll out an "independent contractor 1099" model. 35 an hour, no SS, no bennies, no comp, health ins, or unemployment. idiots will flock to it, and screw things up more....

FedEx will be the first to try the IC experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, they'd like to lower the pay, but LTL pay continues to go up.

If you are talking about parcel delivery guys........you couldn't be more wrong. I've done both, and there is no job in the LTL industry that compares to a package driver. They bust their ass......trust me.

it doesn't go up, it gets cut up different. your argument has merit when CT and OD start paying OT, AND everyone stops paying co pays on their ins premiums.

are you a parcel driver now? I know they put up with a bunch of ::shit::, but I don't see the ltl industry loosening their expectations anytime soon.....

Hey Bill,
As a prank, I was going to tell you that I've ran in to you at several different terminals lately and that I would eventually introduce myself to you. And let you stew over it for a while, and let you try to figure out which guy across the table from you that I was..........just to mess with you.
But I decided not to, that would be mean.
And of course..... it would have been a lie.

It would have been hilarious though.:biglaugh:

don't hold your breath as far as me being worried about running into you, I never figured you quit! what was your old barn?

btw, if you have run into me, you will know how many functional fingers I currently have, lol!!

don't hold your breath as far as me being worried about running into you,..........
Nobody said that you needed to be WORRIED about running in to me. It was simply a thought that crossed my mind to mess with you.

I never figured you quit!
:biglaugh:Then you figure wrong.

what was your old barn?
Provo, Utah. I was a Hostler. :biglaugh:I think I'm a Billy big rigger, but I've actually never left the yard with a truck.

btw, if you have run into me, you will know how many functional fingers I currently have, lol!!
What? Do you just flip everyone off? :scratchhead:

no CB talk, there was a grievance posted in DA about this happening in Wisconsin somewhere. it was for a YRCF barn, but why would that matter, we are a YRC barn now too. that's why I talked to my BA about it, and he said he has watched BS like this happen for years, as there is some sort of NLRB ruling that contracts only set minimums.
It's always been about minimums since the early 70's that I know about.

Since it seems to be well documented that the "minimum" starting pay is the only thing in the contract, the company might want to consider advertising the potential of a higher starting pay so that they can get some more drivers to apply.

they tried that, its being grieved, if they do it too much they will probably have to up the pay, so they only do it for mgmts. buddies.....

Since a higher starting pay doesn't affect the pay of the current employees, then obviously servicing the customer doesn't matter to those who grieved it, and their selfishness means more than the company's survival.

Based on the grievance, those folks better not agree with McDonald's boosting their starting pay to $13.00 per hour or they're hypocrites, since it's the same scenario.

I don't have a problem with experienced guys starting at top rate, as long as I get I nice big check, to make up for my time going through the stupid wage progression crap..lol. (which ain't gonna happen)