TForce | Just a question

princess

smh..
Credits
Is Overnite/UPS freight part of the union? And if not are the drivers given the choice to be part of the Union? Just curious.
Thanx in advance:)

We should have a choice in the matter but it will take a nation wide vote before anything will happen. As for right now we are non union and will probably stay that away unless something happens to make it change. Also I think UPS's contract is up at the end of 07. There has been rumors that if we aren't union by then they will strike till we are.......we will see!!!

princess said:
Is Overnite/UPS freight part of the union? And if not are the drivers given the choice to be part of the Union? Just curious.
We have barns all over the country signing cards.. We are pulling together even better this time than before..just take it slow and do it rite this time..
Just remember to sign your card when you are asked to ,,thanks and have a nice day

Skeeter said:
The majority of the drivers choose not to go union.
I don't know who you are speaking for but from were I have been you couldn't be more wrong..you need to get your facts straight..and get it from people who really know what going on,,you are being miss informed..

There are quite a few people in my barn that are ready to sign. They are waiting to see what the company is going to offer and how things are going to be ran. Things will change with or without the union. On the other hand what say so we will have in the deal will depend on whether we are union or not. The upper management has listened to everyone's concerns reguarding tattoo's and beards......I don't see that much else will be up for debates. The uniforms will be worn and the boots will be polished.....:)

falcon465 said:
We should have a choice in the matter but it will take a nation wide vote before anything will happen. As for right now we are non union and will probably stay that away unless something happens to make it change. Also UPS's contract is up at the end of 07. There has been rumors that if we aren't union by then they will strike till we are.......we will see!!!
Well the UPS contract is not up in 07 it's up in July 31 08
Do your home work first,, before you type. You will have a choice it will be a closed shop if you don't want to be union then you can leave..
I just don't get it,, why in the world would you not want to be union,,you will have rites,, much more than you do now..

Have you ever worked for a union company before or did someone at O sprinkle something that you didn't like in your cornflakes this morning???? This is a discussion board and not everything that is posted here is perfect. I'm here to learn about the union and what there is to be offered. Not to be critized ****************************** Thanks.:eek:

Thanx for the replies..:D
My question has been answered.:)

Don't want to be responsible for a union/non-union debate, so thanx for the reply and please don't fight amongst each other in my post..:( I don't want to feel like I started something here..

Skeeter said:
The majority of the drivers choose not to go union.

Skeeter,
Was there any type of survey or election held by management?
If so just realize that it is an illegal unfair labor tactic. But let's assume UPS is smarter than you, they probably just wrote that statement into the rule book and you just blindly follow every utterance that leaves the management offices.

Falcon said:
There are quite a few people in my barn that are ready to sign. They are waiting to see what the company is going to offer and how things are going to be ran. Things will change with or without the union. On the other hand what say so we will have in the deal will depend on whether we are union or not. The upper management has listened to everyone's concerns reguarding tattoo's and beards......I don't see that much else will be up for debates. The uniforms will be worn and the boots will be polished.....

Falcon,
You seem to have a relatively open mind, but are still able to be fooled by management. You are able to see that with or without the union, you and your fellow coworkers are in for plenty of changes. The bottom line here is simple, and I've said this on the old boards several times.

1. UPS has not listened to anyone of you regarding beards and tatoos. They put out a policy that they knew they had no way of enforcing, but they knew it would stir an uproar amongst the workforce (a divide and conquer technique). So then after a week, they "AMMEND" the policy under the "GUISE" of "LISTENING" to the employees, when in reality the entire policy was written out and choreographed (in advance) like a Broadway stage show. But because they "APPEAR" to have listened, they(UPS) come out smelling like roses.....and sympathetic to workers concerns. All that happened here is that UPS got exactly what it wanted......
shave your beard = kiss it good bye,
shave your mustache = kiss it good bye,
all new employees must be clean shaven and no tatoos....
JUST WHAT UPS WANTS!!!!!

2. Without Union representaion as your bargaining agent,
you have NO SAY in policy
you have NO SAY in setting work rules or conditions
you have NO SAY in wages
you have NO SAY in benefits
you have NO SAY in grievences
you have NO SAY PERIOD!!

With union represenation, you DO HAVE A SAY in all of the above, plus you have the right to vote which enables your voice to be heard. With the right to vote, you can all decide just exactly the directions of your futures. Just remember that all of this will need to be negotiated, and negotiations will lead to a compromise that all involved can live with.....union, members, and employers. You mentioned in a previous post..." We should have a choice in the matter but it will take a nation wide vote before anything will happen. As for right now we are non union and will probably stay that away unless something happens to make it change." You are absolutely correct, but the only thing that will happen to make the change is for you and your coworkers to take the actions to ensure that change and not take what UPS gives you.
Falcon, I applaud you and all of your coworkers that seek information and knowledge. Don't be afraid to question anything you hear or read no matter what side of the fence it is coming from.

And finally to all Overnite/UPS workers.....welcome back to the boards.

falcon465 said:
Thanks......if only we could all get along!!!
I really think you are right falcon. No matter which way this company goes, the grunts, (P&D, Road, Dock, Mechanical and Maintenance) in the field should work through the differences of opinion and get along and become educated to all sides. Granted I have ruffled feathers too, but I'm going to give UPSF a chance to prove to me that there new slogan "Best of Class", is really what they are going to strive for and succeed at. To be honest here, I'm excited to see the change. And I'm truly happy to see the overtired "O" go. The UPSF's score card is a clean slate right now. So I'll wait and see what they bring to the table. If things get out of contol and messy, my IBT score card will have been checked off.

princess said:
we are not union. we would only go union if 51% of all terminals/employees voted for it if there were to be a vote.
most, some, but not all would like to keep it non-union.

worker

togdenjr said:
we are not union. we would only go union if 51% of all terminals/employees voted for it if there were to be a vote.
most, some, but not all would like to keep it non-union.
you will only want the union when you are on carpet think ahead

hugnlug said:
I really think you are right falcon. No matter which way this company goes, the grunts, (P&D, Road, Dock, Mechanical and Maintenance) in the field should work through the differences of opinion and get along and become educated to all sides. Granted I have ruffled feathers too, but I'm going to give UPSF a chance to prove to me that there new slogan "Best of Class", is really what they are going to strive for and succeed at. To be honest here, I'm excited to see the change. And I'm truly happy to see the overtired "O" go. The UPSF's score card is a clean slate right now. So I'll wait and see what they bring to the table. If things get out of contol and messy, my IBT score card will have been checked off.

I think this is where we are going to have to make a decision. If we wait around for something to happen will it be too late to go union?? Everything is going good and UPS doesn't change anything.....gives us a raise...better benefits.....all of the glamour and gold....then after the union vote is over and if we don't go union what will come down after that. I can see where everyone is saying that we are being played as far as the apperence policies go. As smart as UPS is.....they knew that people were going to raise H_LL. So they look good for "compromising"........makes perfect sense to me that it was all a plan. These guys may have been born at night.....but it wasn't last night.....they have been doing this business for quite a while and they know how to go about things to get their way....whether it's to be union or non union.....who knows??? I'm open for debate though!!:clap:

Very true....but the problem that we are going to have is that no one is going to vote union until the brown monster shows its bad side.....then will it be too late..????